Fires sleeve over hose, clamped

Never mind, I was looking at the wrong thing. I’m still wondering about the wrapping in the exhaust pipe though.

My ride originally just had the hose running past the muffler - apparently they touched and the coolant was lost and the previous owner flew it some distance (I don't know how long) without obvious damage to the engine. His solution was a chunk of brass in the hose right at the muffler. So, a failure would not be instant destruction.

New to you already flying airplane?

The only picture I have handy showing the insert (exhaust has since been replaced...) Probably an inch or two of clearance.
ACtC-3dPVzTvSwFLWGR64w16Y4GuRDpSQkIkzOxAAMWVSOTUKElR0phuV7ZovAcMWWwZzQvaDDzd-sEss3kNiEAiqZJLmkR6F2bHeboRuGjWtd5lYVoXwjPAqofxcOJ_dGMinport2q-6hsvnKx-yLUMo3DU=w1233-h924-no

Fire sleeve on a metal tube seems unnecessary. A heat shield would make more sense.

Fire sleeve on a metal tube seems unnecessary. A heat shield would make more sense.
There is firesleeve over the rubber hose that connects the radiator to the coolant line. (Yes there is a 2-3 inch rubber hose under the firesleeve) There is a single layer of fiberglass wrap (exhaust wrap, over the exhaust pipe near where the coolant line is crossing.

The hose clamps are fine....but make sure the excess doesn't contact anything. It could abrade/cut into what ever it contacts or vibrates against.

I'd prefer a heat shield barrier to the exhaust where proper distance/clearance isn't possible.

That wrapping on the exhaust can hide defects like corrosion and cracks, so I would not use it. As many have said, a heat shield is a much better option.

Back