Fires sleeve over hose, clamped

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by Samuel Seidel, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Samuel Seidel

Samuel Seidel Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Sam
    7994E8A5-C5AD-4F8A-8AD0-46234436C9FD.jpeg 6DCD1BF2-9C9A-4E6C-8387-38F0032B76BC.jpeg AC5B97A3-4588-4C88-A594-D9F01DB3D8AB.jpeg Does anyone see any long term problems with this holding?

2. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display name:
    Salty
    Never mind, I was looking at the wrong thing. I’m still wondering about the wrapping in the exhaust pipe though.

3. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    My ride originally just had the hose running past the muffler - apparently they touched and the coolant was lost and the previous owner flew it some distance (I don't know how long) without obvious damage to the engine. His solution was a chunk of brass in the hose right at the muffler. So, a failure would not be instant destruction.

New to you already flying airplane?

The only picture I have handy showing the insert (exhaust has since been replaced...) Probably an inch or two of clearance.
    [​IMG]

4. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display name:
    stewartb
    Fire sleeve on a metal tube seems unnecessary. A heat shield would make more sense.

5. Samuel Seidel

Samuel Seidel Pre-Flight

Display name:
    Sam
    There is firesleeve over the rubber hose that connects the radiator to the coolant line. (Yes there is a 2-3 inch rubber hose under the firesleeve) There is a single layer of fiberglass wrap (exhaust wrap, over the exhaust pipe near where the coolant line is crossing.

6. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    The hose clamps are fine....but make sure the excess doesn't contact anything. It could abrade/cut into what ever it contacts or vibrates against.

I'd prefer a heat shield barrier to the exhaust where proper distance/clearance isn't possible.

7. pfarber

pfarber Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    pfarber
    That wrapping on the exhaust can hide defects like corrosion and cracks, so I would not use it. As many have said, a heat shield is a much better option.