Firemen Refuse To Render Aid

There is no such change in the American Heart Association guidelines for Emergency Cardiac Care. A pulseless person gets CPR unless they are a DNR or OBVIOUSLY dead (rigor, pooling blood, decapitation, massive trauma)

Stating such a fallacy as fact is dangerous.. because other people just.. might... believe you..

Statistics for CPR saves are already dismal, because in most cases the person is dying, not suffering from an easily remedied transient event...There's no need to put lipstick on the pig..
True. CPR is most useful to buy time until a shock can be given for those with certain lethal arrhythmias. It offers little benefit for anything other than certain heart rhythm problems which often have no pulse.

True. CPR is most useful to buy time until a shock can be given for those with certain lethal arrhythmias. It offers little benefit for anything other than certain heart rhythm problems which often have no pulse.
Damn I made out with that bimbo Anne for nothing.:D

I hd a charter here grandpa dropped to the deck, we did CPR until the USCG could get him off. ER Doc said it was nice that we did CPR for all that time, but he was dead before he hit the deck. Let the coroner figure out how much guilt goes where.

Better to not stop CPR and let someone else pronounce (or take over) than to stop too soon. Good job.

But you knew that already. ;)

Better to not stop CPR and let someone else pronounce (or take over) than to stop too soon. Good job.

But you knew that already. ;)

Yeah, it was a bite when the helicopter couldn't get him and we had to wait for the boat.

Wow... I don't even know what to say... Seems like people in this society become more worried about themselves rather than helping someone else.

I had a charter here grandpa dropped to the deck, we did CPR until the USCG could get him off. ER Doc said it was nice that we did CPR for all that time, but he was dead before he hit the deck. Let the coroner figure out how much guilt goes where.

I was a fireman and responded to a medical call for help when an old guy fell over. We started CPR until the medics got there. They hooked up the shocker to him but saw a pulse and did not shock him. Turns out what they saw was his pace maker trying to make the heart beat, and he needed to be shocked. :eek: Can't save them all. :no: :rolleyes: :redface:

I was a fireman and responded to a medical call for help when an old guy fell over. We started CPR until the medics got there. They hooked up the shocker to him but saw a pulse and did not shock him. Turns out what they saw was his pace maker trying to make the heart beat, and he needed to be shocked. :eek: Can't save them all. :no: :rolleyes: :redface:

A pacemaker spike looks very different from both shockable lethal rhythms and non-shockable lethal rhythms. So I'm having trouble understanding what you are describing. It sounds like you are having trouble understanding what you are describing as well. Sounds like that rather than needing to be shocked, perhaps he was dead instead?

This really shows what excessive bureaucracy and governmental command structures can do.

Side note: A family member of mine who served in Afghanistan told me that on a number of occasions, they had to hold their position and wait for approval to return fire after being ambushed. Their requests HAVE to go through the chain of command. No if's, and's, or buts...

Shame.

That is scary. A somewhat similar policy on the German side is said to have been a big help to the Allies in the invasion of Normandy. Nobody wanted to wake the Führer to get permission to move tanks to the front. This policy sounds even worse, because at least the German soldiers were allowed to shoot back.

it is what you get when you have a union contract, a union to protect you, and 'standards' for response with no penalties for not meeting them . . .

It doesn't always come from having a union. Most of Civil Air Patrol's work is done by volunteers, with no union involvement, yet we get plenty of bureaucratic BS.

Perhaps a policy something like this needs to be created (or legislated?):

"Unless already assigned to another emergency, render aid within your qualifications if needed for an emergency that occurs in your vicinity. Notify higher authority of this action and your location as soon as possible."

It doesn't always come from having a union. Most of Civil Air Patrol's work is done by volunteers, with no union involvement, yet we get plenty of bureaucratic BS.

No kidding. I'm getting started with sq10. Holy sweet mother of God it takes them six weeks to blow their nose, and it has to be reported up the chain and approved by the Wing.

I think part of it has to do with only getting stuff done for two hours on Tuesday….

They have a checklist for everything. And they seem frequently wrong.

Lucky! Back in the 80s, a pal and wife in the car leaving a movie, he slumped over the wheel, stopped car, put it in park, she got out , yelled for help. Man in car right in back of them jumped out, checked him out pulled him out on the ground, CPR, saved his life while someone called an ambulance. The Good Samaritan turned out to be a doctor! He often said, " was I lucky or what!?" He was around 50 at the time, lived 20 more years. Good thing the doc didn't lean against the fender of his car like this dolt did and simply watch.

Last edited:
I think part of it has to do with only getting stuff done for two hours on Tuesday….

Just think what they could accomplish if they were at if full time! It'd take'em a full year to blow their nose! Two hours once a week just isn't enough time to properly screw things up.

Back