Fire extinguisher in PA-28

I made an aluminum plate and mounted it with 4 Adel clamps to the front of the passenger seat. The fire extinguisher bracket was mounted on the aluminum plate. Works fine and out of the way but still accessible. I would recommend against getting an extinguisher without a gauge. In fact, there is a Piper bulletin on this (Service Bulletin 1280, August 3, 2015, "HR3 Fire Extinguisher Replacement). All the approved ones had gauges.

Last edited:
mine is installed in the middle of the rear seats, on the floor

From the parts catalog, here's where they're mounted on the newer Arrows/Archers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 3.23.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 3.23.11 PM.png
    116 KB · Views: 80
Mine is mounted to the floor in front of the pilot seat

Attachments

• 20211113_104608.jpg
    20211113_104608.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 53
Any rules against tossing one in back seat? Asking for a friend.
FYI: there are no rules requiring a fire extinguisher in Part 91 (except K) aircraft so where you put it is moot. However, it kind of defeats the purpose if the extinguisher in the back out of reach when the fire is up front at your feet while cruising a 2000' AGL.

Mine is on the top of the hump right behind the trim wheel/flap handle. The nozzle is forward, and is somewhat protected from incidental contact by the backs of the front seats. The extinguisher is easily accessible from any seat--reach down, pop the latch, and grab the bottle.

Any rules against tossing one in back seat? Asking for a friend.

I've flown around with unsecured items in the aircraft. I wouldn't put "fire extinguisher" on the list of things I'd do that with.

Thanks all for the replies. I think mounting behind the trim/flaps console as stated by a few here is the best place. The only problem I may run into is the passengers' audio jacks and USB chargers are in a box on that center hump but up against the rear seat. That extinguisher is small enough it may fit in between.

Do I ask my A&P to install that or is it something I do with a couple of sheet metal screws or some other hardware? It comes with a mounting clamp. There is carpet back there and I'd hate to DIY it and mess up my mechanic when he has to take the carpet out annually- if that is required.

I think at least the trim cables run through that hump just makes sure you don't run a sheet metal screw into them

Do I ask my A&P to install that
FYI: If you are permanently attaching it to the airframe that is the proper route. Plus if it weighs over 1lb you're technically required to update the EWB & equipment list. However, if you velcro it to your seat frame or stick it in a co-pilot seat pouch then its considered loose equipment and no further action is needed.

Has anyone used a fire extingisher in a PA-28 in flight? Are they required? My 85 Archer has mine mounted below the circuit breaker panel on the copilot side.

In the pocket on back of front pax seat.

Will it launch in the cockpit during a hard landing, hard braking, or an accident?
Yes! I knew a guy that had his cell phone laying in his seat and then ran into a mountain with his instructor one night. He survived but the CFI passed away shortly after the crash. He said that he couldn't find his cell phone so had to wait several hours before a search was started and they found the plane. He had numerous broken bones and still is on pain pills.

Back