Firat build.

thejetman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jimny
Long time lurker. First time poster. I guess, let me introduce myself and give some background on me and what my goal is.

I joined the army as a 15T (helicopter maintainer) in 2005. In 2007 I obtained my A&P. I used my A&P actively for 10 years at a now defunct regional. I used my A&P to get my mechanical engineering degree in 2016 In 2018 I got lucky enough to get factory trained on the UH72 lakota. I am now out of the Army, and have a job that gives me the benefits of better pay, travel time off, etc.

Which brings me here. I have been kicking around the idea of building a plane for a couple years. And I have found a couple Glasiar kits ready to go. Before I start any weird engine debates. I want to know from first hand experience those that have tried the new Rotax 916is. Would it be feasible alternative? It is right in the wheelhouse of the HP needed.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

So I have no Rotax experience but the 915 seems to be a winner. Check out this thread on a prototype RV9 with a 915 https://vansairforce.net/threads/the-rotax-rv-9-is-real.220617/

That said I‘m pretty confident that there are no Rotax powered Glasairs out there so you’re probably gonna be on your own to develop a FWF package and mod the cowl. Not insurmountable with your background but possibly something to consider vs going with a Lycoming nevertheless.

Might be worthwhile to search out a Glasir user group and lean on their expertise.

Last edited:
Thank you. I would prefer to NOT have to engineer a motor mount at this point. I have spent the last couple months going through a ton of internet resources, and could not find any information on my question. That's how I wound up here. At any rate. I'm glad to be here. Thank you.

Back