Finding the freezing level

Drecula

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Drecula
Q : You are at FL120 with an outside temperature of -2 degrees celsius. Where would you find the freezing level?

A. FL 110
B. FL 100
C. FL 090
D. FL 140

The answer is Alpha but couldn’t figure out how.

I think there is a part of the question missing. Should be a mention of “standard” conditions. If so the A is the answer. The trick to the question is you might get mixed up with standard conditions. 2C per 1000’ vs dry adiabatic conditions 3C per 1000’
That info is presented in the material for the written but I don’t remember seeing any questions on adiabatic lapse rate. Just there to confuse ya!!

Q : You are at FL120 with an outside temperature of -2 degrees celsius. Where would you find the freezing level?

A. FL 110
B. FL 100
C. FL 090
D. FL 140

The answer is Alpha but couldn’t figure out how.

If there is an inversion layer, freezing level could be at FL 140.

F36A34EA-D4AF-4CDF-8BDE-74660ED5F0A4.jpeg Here’s the question.

Last edited:
I got it now. Thanks for helping guys.

How come?

“The freezing level is the lowest altitude in the atmosphere over a given location at which the air temperature reaches 0ºC. This altitude is also known as the height of the 0ºC constant-temperature surface. A freezing level chart shows the height of the 0ºC constant-temperature surface.

The concept of freezing level becomes slightly more complicated when more than one altitude is determined to be at a temperature of 0ºC. These “multiple freezing layers” occur when a temperature inversion at altitudes above the defined freezing level are present. For example, if the first freezing level is at 3000 ft MSL and the second is at 7000 ft MSL, a temperature inversion is between these two altitudes. This would indicate temperatures rising above freezing above 3000 ft MSL and then back below freezing at 7000 ft MSL.”

I believe that question is from the Oxford Aviation Academy in England. They change their altimeters to 29.92in/1013hPa at lower altitudes than the US does. So answer A or FL110 is correct. :)
Don't most other countries change from "X,000 ft" to "FL0X0" at different altitudes? Or has (most?) of Europe finally harmonized on a single Flight Level now? Seems like I've heard references as low as FL060 for 6000' msl.

Back