Finding a hangar

Get on the hangar list, even if it’s years long. You never know what might change. The airport manager might be an old guy who’s been in cruising mode for years and isn’t on top of anything. If he gets replaced by someone who goes through the list and deletes the names who moved away, died, or just aren’t interested anymore, you might find yourself much closer to getting a hangar. New managers also have a way of booting businesses with no planes using hangars as cheap industrial spaces or as storage lockers.

I’m in the process of moving. I’ve had my plane in a hangar since I got it in 2003 so I was anxious to find one in my new location.

I visited the first airport on my list but ended up #8 on the list. I expect it to take several years at least to get to the top, so I also visited the two other airports within 30 miles, and talked with folks I found hanging out in their hangars. I also talked with the airport managers and asked them to let me know I was looking for space.

I got a call 3 days later from the owner of a larger hangar at one of the airports letting me know that the guy that was renting space in the back of his hangar was moving out and he was looking for a new tenant. I’ve paid up through the end of the year with an intent of paying by quarter for the foreseeable future.

I believe that going to the airports and shaking hands with pilots in their hangars is what made the difference. My suggestion is dropping by on a Saturday at lunch time. That’s when I find a lot of active pilots at the airport. A little time spent getting to know people goes a long way.

Gary

I have rented space in my hangar to my son in law for several years. He started with a 172 and a Tee Hangar. Moved up to a B58, and put it in his Tee Hangar. He put the 172 in my hangar, faithfully paid rent and almost never flew it. I flew it a lot more than he did. He got the bug for a helicopter and told me he wanted to sell the 172. I Was visiting with a friend of mine who had an RV and sold it when he moved to our area because he was unable to get a hangar. When he found out the 172 was for sale and that I would rent him hangar space he couldn’t get in touch with my son in law fast enough. He bought it right away so I have a great new hangar mate.

If it weren’t for him knowing me as a way to get space, he would probably never have made it up the hangar list and never had another plane. If you want a hangar, in this area at least, it’s going to take networking and leg work.

Wow. I had no idea this post would generate so much information. Thanks for all the great feedback. I have to admit I am a little depressed after reading it. Getting hangar space is sounding like a monumental task right now. I will start calling around and trying to grab some if I can find it. How do I find out about some of these networking opportunities you guys are mentioning? Are there good websites with that kind of info?

Do you think there will be higher demand as we get closer to winter, or is it always kind of like this?

Back