Finally used my Instrument Rating

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Last Thursday I had to be down at VJI for business. Getting out of my home drone, BJJ, could be done VFR but down around VJI ceilings were overcast and close to the mountain-tops. VFR, I would have had to swing wide to the west to try and find a way under the clouds where the ground is lower, then run up the valley.

Instead, I filed IFR (not the first time) and flew intending to penetrate the clouds. I got some actual on the climb out, going through a 500' thick stratus layer. I then settled in to cruise at 14,000' (nice tailwind), sucked oxygen and made good time. This was a personal highest altitude for me in my NA 182, amazing how little manifold pressure you get up there.

As I started my descent I was cleared to 7000' which was roughly where the cloud tops were. I don't like crossing the ridge north of VJI lower than 6000' even VFR, so I stayed just above the clouds until past the ridge when ATC cleared me to 6000'. Listening to the VJI ASOS they had overcast at 4000' (plus 2000' field elevation) so I should break out at 6000', and I did. Thus, I got the visual approach into VJI rather than the LOC24, which I had studied thoroughly and briefed myself on en route. Got into VJI without trouble.

Coming home the clouds were higher and so while I filed IFR it was VMC the whole way. I stayed at 7000' or 5000' the whole way back trying to keep below the really bad headwinds, despite unforecasted moderate turbulence over West Virginia (made a PIREP). Although, when you consider the gusting winds that day and you look at the rough ground it isn't a surprise that you're getting bounced around like a basketball.

All things considered, it was pretty easy. Having the rating didn't mean I had to shoot approaches to minimums, it just meant that a trip that might've been dicey VFR was a certain and easy "GO" with the rating. More tools in the toolbox to deal with the weather.

KVJI is very close to my home in Elizabethton TN.
I flew out of there Sunday. There was solid overcast at 3k, widespread tops around 5-6k, no reports of ice anywhere near there. I climbed into the soup and crossing the mountains to the south was still in the soup climbing through 9k as I rapidly started building ice. Mountains below and ice above left few options. I managed to get out of the ice at 8k yet remain within vectoring altitude. Be careful. First IFR is a great thing.

Last Thursday I had to be down at VJI for business. Getting out of my home drone, BJJ, could be done VFR but down around VJI ceilings were overcast and close to the mountain-tops. VFR, I would have had to swing wide to the west to try and find a way under the clouds where the ground is lower, then run up the valley.

Instead, I filed IFR (not the first time) and flew intending to penetrate the clouds. I got some actual on the climb out, going through a 500' thick stratus layer. I then settled in to cruise at 14,000' (nice tailwind), sucked oxygen and made good time. This was a personal highest altitude for me in my NA 182, amazing how little manifold pressure you get up there.

As I started my descent I was cleared to 7000' which was roughly where the cloud tops were. I don't like crossing the ridge north of VJI lower than 6000' even VFR, so I stayed just above the clouds until past the ridge when ATC cleared me to 6000'. Listening to the VJI ASOS they had overcast at 4000' (plus 2000' field elevation) so I should break out at 6000', and I did. Thus, I got the visual approach into VJI rather than the LOC24, which I had studied thoroughly and briefed myself on en route. Got into VJI without trouble.

Coming home the clouds were higher and so while I filed IFR it was VMC the whole way. I stayed at 7000' or 5000' the whole way back trying to keep below the really bad headwinds, despite unforecasted moderate turbulence over West Virginia (made a PIREP). Although, when you consider the gusting winds that day and you look at the rough ground it isn't a surprise that you're getting bounced around like a basketball.

All things considered, it was pretty easy. Having the rating didn't mean I had to shoot approaches to minimums, it just meant that a trip that might've been dicey VFR was a certain and easy "GO" with the rating. More tools in the toolbox to deal with the weather.

It's awesome isn't it? :cheerswine:

Lucky you. I've had mine for 1 year and 11 months, have .3 actual hrs logged (prior to the rating) and have never actually filed IFR. :mad:

Soon...... (or so I keep telling myself)

How was it on the 182 @ 14K? What kind of TAS and FF were you getting up there? How was the climb rate?

How was it on the 182 @ 14K? What kind of TAS and FF were you getting up there? How was the climb rate?
127 Knots TAS
Groundspeed was 150-ish Knots thanks to the tailwind.
Climb gets pretty lethargic as you get that high. According to Flightaware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N9231X/history/20130328/1200Z/KBJJ/KVJI/tracklog) I was averaging just under 400fpm climb before I leveled at cruise.

I don't have a fuel flow computer onboard but I burned a total of 21 gallons over the 2 hours of flight.

I have flown into VJI and 0A9 several times. There is some good trout fishing up there.

I almost always encounter some weather on the trip.

Back