finally started training

texastim87

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
tim
So I finally started flight school here in puerto rico. They gave me the king brand flight books for my faa test. My question is what are some good tips and tricks or methods for studying for the faa test?

So I finally started flight school here in puerto rico. They gave me the king brand flight books for my faa test. My question is what are some good tips and tricks or methods for studying for the faa test?

1. break everything down into small chunks.
2. (For Me) Helps to understand the "why" behind things.

Example of what I mean by the "why"
You can memorize that visibility in class E airspace is different below and above 10k feet. But knowing that there are significant differences in the speed limits above and below help you you go "oh yeah, if closure rate is that much faster, i would want more visibility"

That example is neither here nor there but just that knowing the "why" on a lot of this stuff helped me to even remember the rote stuff and it helps in the dialog on your oral as well.

This is just me. Lots of people do the memorization and mnemonics.
There is nothing wrong with that but I am a "why" guy.

Last but not least
Come here and ask questions and share your flying stories..

Memorize the questions and take the test.

This works just fine too and the Kings are teaching you the test.
Know the written is what you are going to be discussing on the Oral so try to keep it stored in memory until the checkride.

Take online practice tests

When I first started training I took a whole semester college course on general aviation, and did great on all the exams. Then I took the FAA written and failed. :( Just because you know something reasonably well does not mean you are guaranteed to pass the test, and vice-versa. So I purchased a book along with cassette tapes (anyone remember those?), studied on my own, and passed with a 98%. I imagine they were similar to to way the Kings teach. I will probably use the Kings if I ever get off my butt and work on my instrument rating.

Know the King stuff well and you should do fine on the test; then you can get on to the fun stuff!

This method goes against Sheppardair's very successful training philosophy.

Not sure why, Gleim's own software includes all the topics to study plus practice tests and it helped me

Get a test guide ,and memorize the answers,after passing the written,study the stuff you really need . Go over what you don't understand with a good CFI.

Pay someone to take it for you.:D There are various methods for various people, so just look in whatever format you work with best. Any of the name programs have good materials. I have always had good success with Gliem material, but there are many choices that all provide the same material slightly differently.

There is also free downloadable material on the FAA website, including the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, aka PHAK, and several other publications. Here's an interesting fact to be aware of, every question on every FAA written test will come from a reference in that body of material.

There are two basic methods for studying for the test, learn the material, or learn the test, I suggest you use both. I suggest that you start by reading the PHAK, then when you have read through the whole thing, start using a study guide to reinforce the subject matter. The study guides will also provide te references to the other manuals you can download like the Aviation Weather manual and so on. Then start reading those. If you follow this method, not only will you do well on the written, you will do well on the Oral as well, and more importantly you will have a reasonably solid base of knowledge and information.

Not sure why, Gleim's own software includes all the topics to study plus practice tests and it helped me

You can over expose yourself to the distractors while taking multiple practice exams. SA recommends taking 2 practice exams at most to see where you stand in your ability to pass the knowledge test.

Note: this is SA's method and I am not necessarily suggesting using it.

Oh I see, that sounds good. Id say study all of the material in each category and then take the practice exams. However you can learn it best

Back