Finally, something on the Cirrus SR20 G6

If you look on the Piper website, retail on an Archer is $365k, but that is without autopilot (36k), ADSB (2.5k) or seatbelt airbags (6.5k).
Right, so with the price of the two so similar, and neither being a true 4-place cross country machine, then I have to wonder why someone would buy a new Archer over a Cirrus for anything other than training... but maybe that's the point - Archer goes to the trainer fleet and Cirrus to the new pilot first time buyer who will later move to a 22. The marketing on both sites pretty much says as much. Still think the Piper price is steep for what you're getting

Right, so with the price of the two so similar, and neither being a true 4-place cross country machine, then I have to wonder why someone would buy a new Archer over a Cirrus for anything other than training... but maybe that's the point - Archer goes to the trainer fleet and Cirrus to the new pilot first time buyer who will later move to a 22. The marketing on both sites pretty much says as much. Still think the Piper price is steep for what you're getting

I don't even know why anyone would buy an Archer for something besides training. It's probably the best trainer available.

It's probably the best trainer available.
and as much as I like low wings (and did most of training on a Warrior) the Skyhawk would probably win as the "best trainer" as (in my experience) it is just a little easier to land, it has two doors, and the ground reference maneuvers, pattern work, etc. are all easier without the wing blocking your view... and an older 172N with the 180 conversion has a higher useful load than a new Archer

anyway, didn't mean to make this an Archer bash fest, I actually really like the Archers, but the pricing just doesn't make a lot of sense

anyway, didn't mean to make this an Archer bash fest, I actually really like the Archers, but the pricing just doesn't make a lot of sense

Pricing doesn't make sense on anything new....

Pricing doesn't make sense on anything new....

Especially when you consider part of the price on a new vehicle in general is R and D. Seems to me that cost was recouped decades ago with Cessna, Piper, and Mooney. So really the cost should be materials, labor, facility costs, and legal. I have yet to see good numbers for the real cost to build a plane.

Back