Finally, my 1st actual!

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Due to various reasons (sore subject), I had never gotten any actual during my IR training, and since the ride (Dec 9th), planes, weather, and schedules had conspired to prevent me from getting my wings wet. I had the Archer booked, and last night’s weather looked good to me: 2300 overcast and 7SM, with occasional rain showers reducing vis to 5SM, and temps at 3000 of about 55F. Looked good to me.

I called my original II, and he would not go (no surprise). I called the club instructor, but he had another engagement, so I called Brent. We trained together and progressed together (with the same II) all the way to check ride. We even took our rides the same day. “I’ve trained many hours with you, you’re a safe pilot, and I trust you, lets go!” Brent has gotten a few hours of actual already.

So, 6:30pm, in a light rain shower, we depart with a local IFR plan to shoot approaches. At 2000msl, we go into the soup, and it is indeed overcast. I know what everyone has said to expect on your first encounter with IMC, and I was waiting for it, but you really cannot describe it until you feel it. I cannot BELIEVE how badly my body was lying to me; I had the leans, and a little bit of dizziness. In addition, I see why some pilots kill the strobes and landing lights in the clouds, both of those bothered me, so I killed them while in the IMC.

I worked hard to maintain altitude and heading, but initially the best I could do was +/- 100 on the altitude, and I kept chasing it up and down, up and down, enough so that Brent commented “What are we, a yo-yo?” Likewise, I had trouble holding heading better than +/- 10 degrees. Wheel, all that motion and the leans too…had to work hard.

Got vectored downwind, and towards the end of that vector, I started to get things kind of under control, then we got vectors towards the inbound. Once established, I descended per plate to 2500, and flew to the FAF/OM, Right on cue, the GS was level right at the OM beacon, and we started down the GS. We broke out at 2000, but could not see the runway lights due to a light rain shower. At 2nm out, we got a visual on the runway, and continued down the approach.

Although DH is 873, I went missed at 1000, and around we went again. Into the soup at 2000, I was much better at controlling the plane this time around. Due to lots of arriving jet traffic, approach sent us on a super long downwind, and then boxed us around towards the approach course. It seemed like we were flying forever, and it was solid IMC, with no ground contact whatsoever. Occasionally, we would see a faint glow from lights on the ground, other times it was absolutely 100% pitch black. Just those instruments and that eerie red and green glow at your wingtips. This time around, I nailed my altitudes and headings very well, and it started to feel like old home again. Just like I did at night on the foggles, just no foggles this time. The patter of rain against the windscreen came and went as we passed in and out of the showers.

Once inbound, I again descend to 2500, and wait for the OM/GS. Once on the GS, we start down, and as we pass thru 2000, I tell Brent we should break out and let me know.

1800, well, I guess not, and the altimeter continues to unwind…
1500, we remind each other that DH is 873…
1200, “I think I see the rabbit!” A few seconds later, poof, we are out, and there is the runway, right where we left it! Runway, Oh glorious runway! The altimeter reads 1100. I click on the landing lights and strobes.

Tower asks our intentions, and we eagerly request a full stop. I crank in the last two notches of flaps, pull the power, and get us down to approach speed. Flair over the centerline, back, back, stall horn, back, back, and with the yoke full back, we thump softly to the rain soaked runway. Taxiing back, raindrops dance in the puddles.

Shutdown and cleaned up, I was out for 1.2, almost all of it solid IMC, with two actual approaches. I had not intended my first IMC to be so aggressive (shooting an approach to 400ft), but it was a good lesson in how conditions can deteriorate further than forecast. When I filed, I did not list an alternate, because per 123 rule, the 2300 overcast and 5SM vis as worst did not require it. Now, not only would I require an alternate, but conditions were below alternate mins as well.

Another good learning experience.

Our flight: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4147T

That was some real IFR flying!
Did you ever get the IFR leans with foggles?

Dave Krall CFII said:
That was some real IFR flying!
Did you ever get the IFR leans with foggles?

A little bit, but not too bad. IMC is some funky stuff, but I'm happy with my performance. Now I need some day IMC.

Great post Bill! I'm sure simliar things happen to others, but I find I 'usually' have a slight right turn when hand flying in IMC. You'll probably soon learn your own gotchas and how to deal with them.

My first time in IMC while working on my rating, I could NOT make myself decend. Flew the localizer on an ILS perfectly but just watched that needle work its way away from me.

Actual IMC is great. Keep it up!

I seem to be one of the lucky ones who does not get the leans.

Nothing like the real thing though. Your heart starts pounding when you get close to minimums and there is no visibility or sign of breakout, doesn't it?

I was lucky to get about 10 hours of actual during my training, including an actual missed approach (we took one of the higher min approaches one day just so I could do the real thing).

You sure make me wish it was consistently warmer around here on cloudy days in the winter, and that my wife would finish up her IR so that I could get me back up in those clouds.

Good story.

Jim G

Hey Bill, Good on you. I was only able to get about .8 acutal during my IR training and was able to get some good acutal with Arnold shortly after I got my IR.

Isn't it great when things work as planned, you break out and see the runway lighting ahead of you?

If they ever get it back up and running again, the ILS into KNEW comes in over the water. Breaking out of that one is interesting because the sky is grey, the water is grey, and the lights just kind of appear out of the mist. Anything below 500' (DH is 200) will produce the effect.

AirBaker said:
Great post Bill! I'm sure simliar things happen to others, but I find I 'usually' have a slight right turn when hand flying in IMC. You'll probably soon learn your own gotchas and how to deal with them.

I need to watch out for the left turn, if I don't pay attention, I can begin a leftie.

Great story Bill. Next time see if you can plan a trip in actual. That may allow you to settle down a little and actually fly for a while. Sounds like a very good first experience.

wsuffa said:
If they ever get it back up and running again, the ILS into KNEW comes in over the water. Breaking out of that one is interesting because the sky is grey, the water is grey, and the lights just kind of appear out of the mist. Anything below 500' (DH is 200) will produce the effect.
I remember doing the VOR approach into Sandusky where you break out over Lake Erie with the same visual. Kinda spooky at the time. That plus it is a carrier type airport with the runway ending right at the water.

Good lunch though.

Good job. Night IMC is the hardest flying you'll encounter. Not many pilots want to try that for the first time in actual.

Enjoyed the write up Bill. First time in IMC you go at night. Wow.

Lance F said:
First time in IMC you go at night. Wow.

I didn't know it mattered, I figured can't see is can't see, light or dark. I guess ignorance IS bliss. Now I need to get some day actual approaches...

Great Story and flight Bill. Brings back many memories for me both learning and teaching. Two memories really stick out in my mind. My first flight in actual and my first flight taking a student in actual. Sometimes you just have to buck up and do it. That was great idea taking your buddy.

Don't be suprised if day IMC is just as difficult or worse. If the vis/rvr is low sometimes those city lights below aren't as easy to see and the rwy lights just don't seem to jump out like they do at night.

Practice, Practice, Practice! :) good work!

wow, great story, Bill - sounds like a whole lot of fun. I only have .5 actual right now, but it was the best .5 I've ever had. Lots of fun.

I can relate! I was only able to get about 2.5 hours of actual with my instructor and still don't have many hours despite having the rating for 2 years. Until I get more time with an instructor or very experienced pilot, my personal minimums are very high which includes renting a plane with autopilot.

Recently I flew from KBTL to KPNE in IMC. Took off in light rain at dusk for 7000' as icing was reported at 10,000'. 7000' and 4 deg C, moderate rain and turbulence had my full attention. Cleared down to 5000' and found smoother air, however temp dropped to 0 deg C. Spent the next hour checking the wing for icing with flashlight. No hero stuff here as I knew my destination was clear. 75 miles from PNE, I broke out into a beautiful almost full moon night. I guess that's how you learn.

Another thing that has helped me is ASA's ON TOP program for my PC. If I am going to a new airport, I shoot a couple of approaches on the computer the night before. Again, no hero stuff, I intend to keep my personal minimums in line with my personal experience.

Al

Thanks for sharing your story. I've got a "really dry" IFR ticket and am going to try to do something about that this year. Its amazing that there isn't something more to the FAA requirements for low time IFR people. They seem to have it all figured out.
5825M / Oklahoma

Congrats Dude. Real IMC is so different. I still break out in a sweat on approaches in real IMC. There's no way you can say, "Ok, I give up, where am I ?" and flip up the foggles. I practice both coupled and un-coupled approaches. I'm learning to trust the auto-pilot. I'm more at home with hand flying, but it's amazing to see how accurately "Otto" can fly an ILS. :)

jdwatson said:
I practice both coupled and un-coupled approaches. I'm learning to trust the auto-pilot. I'm more at home with hand flying, but it's amazing to see how accurately "Otto" can fly an ILS. :)

I could have let the 55x fly the approach, but I wanted to know I could do it by hand if necessary. I have done plenty of coupled approaches in each plane VFR (one has the 55x, the other KAP140), and it works wonderfully. Especially the KAP140, I can hand fly better than the 55x, but the KAP140 is consistantly better than I can fly. Between the two, I think the KAP140 is one heck of a nice autopilot. (both have altitude/VS pre-select and hold)

Bill Jennings said:
I could have let the 55x fly the approach, but I wanted to know I could do it by hand if necessary. I have done plenty of coupled approaches in each plane VFR (one has the 55x, the other KAP140), and it works wonderfully. Especially the KAP140, I can hand fly better than the 55x, but the KAP140 is consistantly better than I can fly. Between the two, I think the KAP140 is one heck of a nice autopilot. (both have altitude/VS pre-select and hold)

The 172s that I trained in have the KAP140 also with the altitude/VS pre-select & hold. The 172RG doesn't have the KAP140. The T206H has a KAP140, but no altitude/VS pre-select. I miss the pre-select feature, especially on step down fixes.

Back