Finally landed at KPHX

PeterNSteinmetz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
I had noticed some time ago that the Sky Harbor airport said they would tolerate things like a full stop taxi back after 11 PM. So last night my son and I flew over late from Falcon Field to land there. Part of renewing my night currency.

While they accommodated us the one time, at that point they were not going to vector us back around to do another landing by my son. Oh well, next time for him.

On approach:
138774bb3b90b612eecd8bda2afcab1a.jpg

Short final:
45b4b3e762860579f03e51f720efb8d2.jpg

Waiting for takeoff clearance:
bc8af1366bbbf4b805a3ff59e731958a.jpg

Late at night, with little or no traffic, DIA/DEN will sometimes let us do touch & go's. No full stops. A full stop means a HUGE fee by the airport and possibly another one by Signature (the FBO) even tho we don't go near it.

But with an 18,000 ft runway, easy to do 3 or 4 T&Gs.

Cool pictures!

Same in DTW (Detroit) - they let you do touch and gos if it is slow. :):thumbsup: Never dared to ask for a full stop...

I believe KPHX says no T&Gs at all. We’ll see if I receive a landing fee bill

Late at night, with little or no traffic, DIA/DEN will sometimes let us do touch & go's. No full stops. A full stop means a HUGE fee by the airport and possibly another one by Signature (the FBO) even tho we don't go near it.

But with an 18,000 ft runway, easy to do 3 or 4 T&Gs.

Think I saw a while back where they’re not doing it anymore. I’d have to dig, though. Got a little too popular I guess.

KPHX was very easy to deal with when I was there last fall in a Cherokee. We landed, taxied to the FBO, my friend got a ride to the terminal by the FBO and I put in a few gallons of gas. Very cheap gas considering it's a Class B and landing/handling fees waived. Then took off and headed over to KFFZ.

Landed there back in 1971 with my CFI in a trusty C-150. We followed a 727 on final. We took a break at the FBO, it was during the day.

Landed there back in 1971 with my CFI in a trusty C-150. We followed a 727 on final. We took a break at the FBO, it was during the day.
Landed there student pilot solo in the 70's. It's a little bit busier there these days.

Landed there student pilot solo in the 70's. It's a little bit busier there these days.

Was there a particular reason for your reply other than to tell me something I already know? o_O

Was there a particular reason for your reply other than to tell me something I already know? o_O

Well, yes, he did it to tell everyone else something we (save his CFI, lurking here from the prison computer) did not know: he landed there solo in the 70's.

SPU6J.jpg

My first-ever visit to Phoenix was a business trip on a hot July day in 1987. I rented a 172P at Van Nuys and headed east on an IFR flight plan, though it was a CAVU day. Given events in our family over the past few years, these photos are somewhat ironic now.

I was intrigued by the lettering in the sand in this remote area about 20 miles west of PHX. What was then the Caterpillar Proving Grounds is today the planned community of Verrado, part of the City of Buckeye. And when I took this photo I could not have guessed that in 2007 my son and his family would move into a new housing tract adjacent to the dirt-runway airstrip near the right edge of the photo.

On final for runway 8. The dirt scar on the left side of the photo is the right-of-way of what would become I-10. Little did I know that we would today be living in a condo next to that I-10, watching airliners flying this same approach every day.

Crossing over downtown I unknowingly aimed my camera at the site of my future home.

Business completed, I took off on runway 8. The southbound crosswind turn gave me a nice view of a dust storm advancing on the city of Mesa.

Last edited:
Well, yes, he did it to tell everyone else something we (save his CFI, lurking here from the prison computer) did not know: he landed there solo in the 70's.

SPU6J.jpg
Why would my CFI be in prison? I'm pretty sure everything about that operation was legal.

Back