Finally Graduated

Ryan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pilotryan
As the title says, I finally graduated HS! Exciting times are ahead, like driving down to Texas from Minneapolis within the next few weeks to work on the Skywagon. Thank god for having a relative that is an A&P!

Anyone have advice on how to proceed? Kinda in an interesting spot right now with college classes starting up soon, and little to no summer break.

Granted I probably am one of the younger ones on POA, so don't bite!

Being as you will be time limited, the 1st thing that I would do, is grab all the data plate info and serial/part number info for the airframe, engine, accessories and so on. With that info, you can spend off time back at school pulling all the AD's that apply and getting together all the info for those to be checked on another trip. Second, go here; https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=37399 and download that document and print it out. Go thru it and familiarize yourself with all the inspections that need to be done. As the a/c is over 20 years old, most all are going to be needed...There is lots to do. Lastly, I'd just give the entire airplane a general checking over, haul it out and wash it and wipe it down and a decent cleaning. Don't bother doing anything other than maybe pulling and greasing the wheel bearings before moving it around too much. I would not even think about pulling the prop or turning over the engine right now. Make a list of what you can see that it needs directly, such as oil, filters, brake lines, hoses ect. You can chase that stuff online back at school, and order it so it's there for the next trip. With all that info gathered up, you can sit down and build a plan of action, to get every thing accomplished and the a/c back into tip top shape so that it lasts you until you quit flying and doesn't nickle and dime you to death.

With digital camera so cheap, photo everything as you do it so that you can refer to them as necessary when back at school. Anything that you take loose, or off, gets bagged, tagged and dated so that it can go back on easily. Keep a log book in something like a spiral book in the a/c and log everything you do and why, since you will be working off and on, with long breaks between work times. Also, document all the time you work on the a/c and what you are doing, so that you can use it for part of the experience time for getting your A&P...You also want to note what tools you readily need for your next trip and start accumulating them, unless you already have a decent collection.

Above all, have fun and don't get discouraged about how long it takes to get her back in the air.

Congrats! I just graduated HS yesterday as well! Good luck with the Skywagon, sounds like a lot of fun, and keep us updated on your progress if you can. I'm sure many here would be interested.

Being as you will be time limited, the 1st thing that I would do, is grab all the data plate info and serial/part number info for the airframe, engine, accessories and so on. With that info, you can spend off time back at school pulling all the AD's that apply and getting together all the info for those to be checked on another trip. Second, go here; https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=37399 and download that document and print it out. Go thru it and familiarize yourself with all the inspections that need to be done. As the a/c is over 20 years old, most all are going to be needed...There is lots to do. Lastly, I'd just give the entire airplane a general checking over, haul it out and wash it and wipe it down and a decent cleaning. Don't bother doing anything other than maybe pulling and greasing the wheel bearings before moving it around too much. I would not even think about pulling the prop or turning over the engine right now. Make a list of what you can see that it needs directly, such as oil, filters, brake lines, hoses ect. You can chase that stuff online back at school, and order it so it's there for the next trip. With all that info gathered up, you can sit down and build a plan of action, to get every thing accomplished and the a/c back into tip top shape so that it lasts you until you quit flying and doesn't nickle and dime you to death.

With digital camera so cheap, photo everything as you do it so that you can refer to them as necessary when back at school. Anything that you take loose, or off, gets bagged, tagged and dated so that it can go back on easily. Keep a log book in something like a spiral book in the a/c and log everything you do and why, since you will be working off and on, with long breaks between work times. Also, document all the time you work on the a/c and what you are doing, so that you can use it for part of the experience time for getting your A&P...You also want to note what tools you readily need for your next trip and start accumulating them, unless you already have a decent collection.

Above all, have fun and don't get discouraged about how long it takes to get her back in the air.
I am a step ahead of you on those first two. I've been going over the maintenance logbook, and it's going to need about 18 years of AD's to be complied with. And I have been trying to figure out how to proceed with the Inspections. Note, my airplane isn't that new...

We will either be pulling a cylinder or trying to access the internals of the IO470 by going through what is imidietly behind the valve cover. I suspect an overhaul is going to be necessary.
Most of the hoses need to be custom bent. I found a Skywagon shop in Oregon that does that sorta thing, so I'll be sending most of the lines to bend up if we can't do them ourselfs.

And lastly, the plane is in our hanger which is practically a private machine shop. I would be surprised if we are missing any important tools, if we are missing some then they must of gotten stolen. If that is the case, there will be hell to pay.

Congrats! I just graduated HS yesterday as well! Good luck with the Skywagon, sounds like a lot of fun, and keep us updated on your progress if you can. I'm sure many here would be interested.
Ayyyy congrats man! It's a project that is going to be a lot of work. I will keep all of you guys posted on the progress, but just keep in mind that Texas gets really hot in the summer and our hanger doesn't have AC.

Good deal Ryan. That link I posted is to the Cessna Service Manual There are tons of time compliance inspections that need to be done. Just make sure that it covers your a/c by serial number. Lots of fun reading and lots of little things to do.

Congrats fellow young dude! Do good work, make good connections with people, be enthusiastic! Somebody told me when I was still in HS "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I find that to be pretty accurate.

Congrats fellow young dude! Do good work, make good connections with people, be enthusiastic! Somebody told me when I was still in HS "it's not what you know, it's who you know". I find that to be pretty accurate.
More often than not, and some luck. Congratulations Graduate!

Sorry for the late reply, I have been at the house in Texas and the internet is a little spotty.
Good deal Ryan. That link I posted is to the Cessna Service Manual There are tons of time compliance inspections that need to be done. Just make sure that it covers your a/c by serial number. Lots of fun reading and lots of little things to do.
Craig, I have been reading that service manual for more than everything! Lots of good information in that thing,

My grandpa seems to say the same thing, you know him? :p

Where in Texas? It's a big state
We are located in south texas, about an hour south of the San Antonio international airport. You are right about it being a big state! It took us six hours to go from the northern border to the house. I would much rather fly the Cessna on that trip than drive a car that my knees get smashed right up into the dashboard with.

More often than not, and some luck. Congratulations Graduate!
With a little bit of luck, anything is possible! ;)

Back