Finally got it!

Joepilotmsp

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joepilotmsp
Passed my IFR check ride this week. It was a long slog with a few false starts over the years. Decades if truth be told. Anyway, friends and family don’t understand the work it took. so thought I’d share it here. This may be a dumb question, but my time for currency, 6 approaches, holds and tracking courses all began at the date I became rated right? So six months from July 20th, I need the minimums. So let’s say I get all but one approach in say on August 30th. I get the last approach November 30th. does my time start from November. Or would I need another five based on six months from August putting me out end of February? Im probably overthinking this. Thanks for any guidance.

Congrats on passing the IFR ride. I just passed mine back in May.
On the 6 HITs in 6 months the way it was explained to me is think of the 6 months as a floating window. If you don't have 6 HITs in that 6 month window then you are not current.
So in your example you are current in November but as soon as the window moves passed August 30th (Sep 01 through Feb 28) and you have no additional HITs, you are not current.
Hope that makes sense.

Congrats on passing the IFR ride. I just passed mine back in May.
On the 6 HITs in 6 months the way it was explained to me is think of the 6 months as a floating window. If you don't have 6 HITs in that 6 month window then you are not current.
So in your example you are current in November but as soon as the window moves passed August 30th (Sep 01 through Feb 28) and you have no additional HITs, you are not current.
Hope that makes sense.
And congrats on getting yours as well! I kinda figured that was how it went. Glad ForeFlight will remind me. I have no intention of ever going out of currency or proficiency.
Thanks again for getting back to me. If you ever get up to Maine, hit me up. Love meeting and showing folks the hidden gems in this state. Happy landings. Joe

Congrats on the IFR ride gents. I passed on 1 July. Its no easy deal that's for sure. Get up in the soup ASAP is my only advice that my CFII gave me. It always seemed cloudy more often when I was just a VFR guy.

Totally off topic. Where in Maine ? I could be tempted some weekend to take your tour LOL

Passed my IFR check ride this week. It was a long slog with a few false starts over the years. Decades if truth be told. Anyway, friends and family don’t understand the work it took. so thought I’d share it here. This may be a dumb question, but my time for currency, 6 approaches, holds and tracking courses all began at the date I became rated right? So six months from July 20th, I need the minimums. So let’s say I get all but one approach in say on August 30th. I get the last approach November 30th. does my time start from November. Or would I need another five based on six months from August putting me out end of February? Im probably overthinking this. Thanks for any guidance.
Cool. Welcome to the Goo

Surprised you made it through the check ride without having the examiner ask you this question.

It is complicated wording to support a simple answer.

You took you checkride in July (Month 7) add 6 months (Month 13 /Month 1) So you are good until Jan 31, 2024.

For Currency, In February (Month 2/Month 14) you look in your log book and subtract 6 months (Month 8), August.
if since August 1st you have your 6 approaches and holding, then you are current at least until the end of February.

Brian

Congrats. Make sure you actually exercise your rating. Nothing beats filing and getting above a broken layer with tops at 8000-9000 MSL into the smooth and clear air above. Too many of those earning the rating never use it, and think they will have emergency IFR skills when they get into trouble. That's false security.

As far as currency goes, you are required to have 6 approaches and tracking/holds, etc. within the previous 6 calendar months. So if you want to be current as of, say August 15, you must have completed an IPC or 6 approaches/holds/tracking within the period encompassing the calendar months Feb-July. When it ticks over to September, your experience window shifts to Mar-Aug. Unless you fly a lot of IFR, you will likely have to do an IPC on a regular basis, which is not really a bad thing at all. It's a good way to have a 3rd party evaluate your IFR skills.

Congrats on the IFR ride gents. I passed on 1 July. Its no easy deal that's for sure. Get up in the soup ASAP is my only advice that my CFII gave me. It always seemed cloudy more often when I was just a VFR guy.

Totally off topic. Where in Maine ? I could be tempted some weekend to take your tour LOL
that would be awesome! I live about 25 miles north of Augusta. My plane is based there but looking to move it to Waterville, KWvl, when new hangar is finished. Centrally located so the whole state is your playground! Coast, mountains, lakes, woods, lotsa lotsa woods…. If you come in the summer I have a hunt camp on 136 acres. you won’t get bored!

Surprised you made it through the check ride without having the examiner ask you this question.

It is complicated wording to support a simple answer.

You took you checkride in July (Month 7) add 6 months (Month 13 /Month 1) So you are good until Jan 31, 2024.

For Currency, In February (Month 2/Month 14) you look in your log book and subtract 6 months (Month 8), August.
if since August 1st you have your 6 approaches and holding, then you are current at least until the end of February.

Brian
that would be awesome! I live about 25 miles north of Augusta. My plane is based there but looking to move it to Waterville, KWvl, when new hangar is finished. Centrally located so the whole state is your playground! Coast, mountains, lakes, woods, lotsa lotsa woods…. If you come in the summer I have a hunt camp on 136 acres. you won’t get bored!
He asked the six, hold and track and I had six and if not then what. Got another CFII to tell me I’m zero timed. When I got rated. His recomm was to keep them packed and it’s easier to keep up on them. As I stated I got a bit twisted up when fore flight showed me n duping done the dat after. No big deal, boss is about o go get out so I’ll be safety Sam and bag some when hes finidhrtf

Sounds great !! I used to spend some time in the summers as a kid on my grandfathers farm in the big metropolis of Etna lol so I'm sorta familiar with the area. We fly the coast often. Usually PWM or BXM for lunch

LOL "I finally passed my test, now I have a question that is required knowledge for the test"!

just teasing. It is kinda funny though.

Congrats! Yes, it is quite an accomplishment that you deserve to be proud of.

BTW - IMHO - the rolling six in six months has nothing to do with your date of getting the IR.

If you did 3 approaches in July of 2023 and 3 in August (for your check ride), you'd be out of currency in Jan 2024, not Feb 2024. Not that it matters. IMHO - as a new IR pilot, for the next several months go do at least two approaches a month with a SP or even a CFII to help solidify all of the training.

Congrats! Yes, it is quite an accomplishment that you deserve to be proud of.

BTW - IMHO - the rolling six in six months has nothing to do with your date of getting the IR.

If you did 3 approaches in July of 2023 and 3 in August (for your check ride), you'd be out of currency in Jan 2024, not Feb 2024. Not that it matters. IMHO - as a new IR pilot, for the next several months go do at least two approaches a month with a SP or even a CFII to help solidify all of the training.

The instrument check ride also counts as an IPC.

LOL "I finally passed my test, now I have a question that is required knowledge for the test"!

just teasing. It is kinda funny though.
Glad you enjoyed. I didn’t recall anything saying my six started all from date of passing the ride, as in zero timed though I was fairly sure it did. We flew three and my three preceding were over a month prior to being rated. I just wanted clarification is all. I probably could have worded it better. This site thankfully has a very low population of trolls so there are few snarky, condescending responses. I am very appreciative to all who answer my questions with useful information.

Reactions: WDD
Glad you enjoyed. I didn’t recall anything saying my six started all from date of passing the ride, as in zero timed though I was fairly sure it did. We flew three and my three preceding were over a month prior to being rated. I just wanted clarification is all. I probably could have worded it better. This site thankfully has a very low population of trolls so there are few snarky, condescending responses. I am very appreciative to all who answer my questions with useful information.
The question you asked is specifically addressed in the curriculum and a DPE would expect a pilot to know it during the checkride. Sorry if that’s snarky and condescending to you, but it’s true. I attempted to rib you about it you in a friendly way.

I’d recommend to do an IPC now and then, it becomes your official record of hours and is faster than having to do 6 approach’s and a hold unless you regularly fly actual conditions.

A checkride resets the clock, I’m guessing this would apply for your commercial and multi add-on later?

I’d recommend to do an IPC now and then, it becomes your official record of hours and is faster than having to do 6 approach’s and a hold unless you regularly fly actual conditions.

A checkride resets the clock, I’m guessing this would apply for your commercial and multi add-on later?
Nice idea about the IPC. Though I'd still recommend doing 2 approaches with a SP or CFII a month for a while.

BTW - my understanding is that a check ride does not reset the 6 in 6 clock. All the work you did getting ready for the checkride as well as the check ride still counts. It's a rolling 6 month block of time. Theoretically, if in the 7 months prior to your check ride you flew no approaches, and you only flew 3 approaches in the check ride, you'd not be current ironically.

The regs mention nothing of the check ride, only "within 6 months". ( 61.57 C)

The question you asked is specifically addressed in the curriculum and a DPE would expect a pilot to know it during the checkride. Sorry if that’s snarky and condescending to you, but it’s true. I attempted to rib you about it you in a friendly way.
Expressed gratitude for the answers, and lack of snark and didn’t say anything about condescension which I never perceived. I only wanted to make sure I had it right. I’m sure you’ll agree there’s a good bit of material for instrument. For what it’s worth I missed two questions on the written, one of which I know I mismarked. The other was weather and i definitely blew that one. I know I earned the rating, still have a lots to learn, and I’m anything but cocky. I do try to at a minimum give a “like” for useful answers. I wish I had the time to write one to each but I don’t. The few truly snarky or demeaning responses I ignore. I don’t feed trolls. I intend to fly the ”goo” often, safely and as proficiently as I can, and that is true. I'm sure you do the same. Happy landings.

Nice idea about the IPC. Though I'd still recommend doing 2 approaches with a SP or CFII a month for a while.

BTW - my understanding is that a check ride does not reset the 6 in 6 clock. All the work you did getting ready for the checkride as well as the check ride still counts. It's a rolling 6 month block of time. Theoretically, if in the 7 months prior to your check ride you flew no approaches, and you only flew 3 approaches in the check ride, you'd not be current ironically.

The regs mention nothing of the check ride, only "within 6 months". ( 61.57 C

The regs mention nothing of the check ride, only "within 6 months". ( 61.57 C)
If you look in the ACS, all of the requirements for an IPC are completed during an instrument checkride, therefore the instrument checkride resets the instrument recency clock.

Ah. Nice angle ! So the check ride is the same as an IPC.

Back