Finally Bought a Plane!

To correct a common misconception...many Cirrus's (Cirri?) that crash landed with the chute have been returned to service.

I don't know nutn about Cirri, but it stands to reason that even if the airframe is trashed after a parachute landing that there is still a lot of value in all that avionics and motor that are in those airplanes.

Hi Bob,

Congratulations on your purchase!! I hope you invest in some training from a CSIP instructor and partake in the many CDM and CPPP courses the owners association puts on. It will put you into the type that currently has GA fatality rate 80-90% lower than the business/personal use average for GA (0.32 vs 2.38 / 100k flying hours). Possibly the most exciting thing happening in GA right now!!

Have you joined Cirrus Pilots Owners and Pilots association at www.cirruspilots.org?

Sounds like you have, but please PM me if you are not already apart of that group and I will be happy to introduce you!

Russ.

Last edited:
Welcome to the owners club.

It may be an old pilots tale but I heard the reason for the high insurance is that once the chute is pulled the plane is considered a total loss.

Out of 60 CAPS activations 9 planes have returned to service again. That's 15% of airframes which have not been a total loss.

Interestingly when the system has been used within the design envelope, no fatalities have occurred. In stark contrast to typical forced landings, where you have a roughly 10% chance of it ending as a fatal accident.

Last edited:
absolutely beautiful aircraft, Congratulations!

In stark contrast to forced landings, where you have a roughly 10% chance of it ending as a fatal accident.

Is that a number that applies to Cirri or is that meant as a general statement ?

Is that a number that applies to Cirri or is that meant as a general statement ?

Pretty sure that is general to GA, the number sounds right from what I have observed in the NTSB listings.

Low Carb - and Feeling Like a Kid Again!

Since a couple of folks mentioned my physical appearance, let me elaborate.

I am a Type II diabetic. There's nothing I want less than to lose my medical, especially now that I own. So...for the past 5 years I have been on a strict Low Carb diet. It has made me look and feel younger...people think I'm in my 40's. I lost weight, and love all the foods I can eat and still stay healthy (eggs, cheese, butter, you name it...just hold the carbs).

So, my passion for aviation has turned out to have side health benefits.

So if you are like me...love flying but didn't get the best genes, try low carb. For me, it has transformed my life and kept me flying, and now hopefully for at least a couple more decades!

Pretty sure that is general to GA, the number sounds right from what I have observed in the NTSB listings.

Only a small fraction of forced landings make it into the ntsb database. It requires an injury or a specified amount of damage beyond the landing gear to require a ntsb report. Same with engine failures on twins, you land on an airport without secondary damage, no report.

Okay, this is possibly a dumb question, but where is the prop control on that airplane?

Boy, that's a beauty! Hope you didn't have to sell the Karmann Ghia to get it. ;-)

Back