Finally Bought a Plane!

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
After a full year of researching every possible option (I always overdo on the analysis side) and getting an INCREDIBLE amount of advice on this site, I finally took the plunge this last weekend. My decision: SR22 GTS. I know that won't be popular among purists (which I consider myself one...turning 60 in a few weeks).

Thought I'd post my thinking to hopefully help others. So if interested, read on.

Planes I flew to currency (most of them) and considered: 172, 182, Cherokee, Piper 235, Cessna 210, Saratoga / Lance / C6 (second choice) PA32, Diamond DA40, Piper Seneca, Cirrus SR20, Cirrus SR22.

Why the SR22?

* Safety: If you've been following the stats, you probably know that Cirrus has gone from having a questionable safety record to - by far - the best in GA. From the 'chute to the situational awareness of the glass cockpit to the extensive safety training available through the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association, I feel great knowing my friends and family are as safe as they can be.

* Cost: Yes, cost. It's a buyers' market. A lot of "rich folks" bought SR22's and want to trade up. Their loss is our gain. One can purchase a mid-time SR22 GTS fully loaded with glass in like-new condition for well under $200K. Even the 20 year old PA32's I looked at in this price range with glass cost that much. And they lack the parachute.

* Luxury: There's nothing more luxurious I've found out there. The interiors are roomy, comfortable, and look great.

* Load: Useful is 1,050 pounds, not the SR22's strength. But it's enough to do my main missions, and I can always leave some fuel behind since my trips tend to be 2 hours or less. That pales beside the Saratoga, but then the Saratoga doesn't have the 'chute.

* Speed: Even leaned, my bird does 175 knots at around 12 or 13 gph. Corrected for speed, the mpg aren't that different from a 172.

What are the downsides of the Cirrus besides useful load?

* Insurance is a bit higher due to the composite and past safety record (one might expect costs to go down, given the dramatic improvement in safety record)

* Ownership costs are higher, due not only to insurance, but to the complex avionics.

* Brakes tend to wear out. Recommendation from other Cirrus pilots: "The first taxiway is for renters. Let her roll out down the runway and enjoy the ride. And learn not to ride the brakes on taxi."

So there you have it. I hope this is useful, not to convince others to buy Cirrus, but to have another point of view on comparing aircraft.

Every person's mission and budget is different. For me, at the end of the day, the SR22 GTS fit the bill perfectly.

I will post a few pictures next and will check in after a year or so with a post mortem on whether or not this was REALLY a good choice.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I've had one demo flight in an SR22 and it was a very impressive bird. Enjoy!

Sweet! Hate to say it, but Cirrus has the pretty bird at the moment .. congrats!

Congratulations.
I have never been in one and I have never seen one on the ramp and NOT walked up to it to check it out. They are eye catching.

Congrats. I fly a 20 that my buddy owns. I love it. If I had the $$ I would do exactly what you did.

Beautiful, capable bird. Congratulation! Enjoy the heck out of that traveling machine!

Congrats!! Very nice plane.

I'm not Gay but holy crap you look nowhere near 60. I am pushing 40 and look older than you.

Having an Industrial Engineering degree, I always appreciated the ergonomic design of the Cirrus. Placement of many items are in "just the right spot" for ease of access, comfort, and minimization of workload and fatigue.

Nice airplane. I ended up getting a 182 and kinda wish I had gone SR22. anyhow. Congrats!

Welcome to the owners club.

It may be an old pilots tale but I heard the reason for the high insurance is that once the chute is pulled the plane is considered a total loss.

I didn't know that they had depreciated that much! You got a lot of airplane for your money!

Congrats! Very nice looking plane.

Wow! That's a beauty!

congrats! beautiful bird! do you plan on updating the avionics? R9 looks sweet.

It may be an old pilots tale but I heard the reason for the high insurance is that once the chute is pulled the plane is considered a total loss.

It was true of the early models. Cirrus has also improved their refurbishment program and several airplanes that were pulls are now back in the air flying again.

Well chosen. As a long time Bonanza fanatic, there's a lot to like about the Cirrus. I have a few minor disagreements with the design, but nothing big or striking.

Fly safe, get good instruction and most of all enjoy.

I didn't know that they had depreciated that much! You got a lot of airplane for your money!

That's what I was thinking too. Now it has me thinking about my next step up in 8 to 10 years... muhahaha

Nice, I don't disagree with your assessment or argue your final decision, I've always liked the SR-22.

It's true that once the chute is pulled, the bird is dead. But too often the alternative is that the pilot is dead and the insurance companies much prefer pay for a totaled airplane than a dead human.

To Bob,
Congrats on your beautiful new bird. I'm sure you checked out the replacement/maintenance cycle and costs on the chute.

Chute Pull = not Plane Junked

It's true that once the chute is pulled, the bird is dead. But too often the alternative is that the pilot is dead and the insurance companies much prefer pay for a totaled airplane than a dead human.

To Bob,
Congrats on your beautiful new bird. I'm sure you checked out the replacement/maintenance cycle and costs on the chute.

To correct a common misconception...many Cirrus's (Cirri?) that crash landed with the chute have been returned to service. Some have had almost no damage. For example, from time to time they have been pulled over a forest. The trees have stopped the plane before hitting the ground. Others have sustained damage, but were more than airworthy after repairs. Some, though, are totaled.

And yes...I know about the 'chute repack. It's about $17K and has to be done every 10 years. I think of this as an add-on to my life insurance policy. :yes:

i flew a 22t for several hundred hours. its an awesome piston plane. the day i bank real money, i am going to duluth with a brief case full of cash and flying out on a brand new cirrus. :goofy::goofy:

Re: Chute Pull = not Plane Junked

To correct a common misconception...many Cirrus's (Cirri?) that crash landed with the chute have been returned to service. Some have had almost no damage. For example, from time to time they have been pulled over a forest. The trees have stopped the plane before hitting the ground. Others have sustained damage, but were more than airworthy after repairs. Some, though, are totaled.

And yes...I know about the 'chute repack. It's about $17K and has to be done every 10 years. I think of this as an add-on to my life insurance policy. :yes:

I had a feeling you researched all of that a lot more before you bought the plane than I did before I posted. I wasn't trying to throw cold water on our purchase, but the chute repack did need to be mentioned.

Did I tell you I am jealous as hell of your new plane?:D

I'm not Gay but holy crap you look nowhere near 60. I am pushing 40 and look older than you.

Lol, when I saw that pic my two thoughts were
- I better hit the gym
- hope my finances at age 60 are good for a gen5 SR22.

Congratulations on a nice new plane.

Last edited:
Back