Final phase check

Lachlan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Lachlan
I had my final phase check today (Part 141 school). It was really windy, and I had a 90 degree crosswing at 14-15knots gusting above that. I think I made some of my best landings ever in spite of myself. I kept thinking, "If this was my check ride I would have put off the flight portion due to winds. However, since it was a phase check, and the CFI and I discussed it and I said that I was no-go for the xc that I planned, and would not fly a check ride today if I was in that position. He liked my no-brainer choices, so he said let's go fly in the wind! It was great. I learned a bit, had a great time, and felt pretty relaxed. I think that's the key to flying well and the oral part. Stress tends to lock up your brain. I was loose, calm and having fun. Now, if I can only feel half this relaxed on my check ride.... :yikes:

You'll be too busy on the checkride to be nervous. I was scared to death but once the exam got going, I was too busy doing(trying to do) everything right to be worried about messing up.

Now, if I can only feel half this relaxed on my check ride....

If you're doing well on this stage check, you're going to do better than you think for the final exam.

If your CFI and his buddies know the examiner you're going to use and what flight profile he likes, then have them do a mock checkride flight. Two or three of those with different instructors should identify any holes in training and increase your comfort in how the ride happens.

Also, ask your CFI and his buddies to conduct 2 or 3 mock oral exams. Again, this is to help you learn what to expect and be more comfortable during the event.

Check ride scheduled for 0900 on Feb 22. Got my flight plan info all ready to go. I have very high expectations. I don't think I'm going to be content with only a private certificate. For a while I thought that was all I'd ever want. Pretty sure I'm going to enjoy flying for a while and begin working on my instrument rating in a few short months. Have to ace my check ride first. I'm focused. One thing I love about flying is there's always something more to learn. I know there is always room for improvement. Never stop learning. I have a LOT to learn!

Back