Final day in this home

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Today is our last in Pennsylvania. My older daughter realized it was her last night in the house at bedtime about 8hrs ago, which made for a difficult bedtime. I walked around the empty house (well, chock full of boxes and wrapped furniture waiting for today's load up) after the girls went to bed. When we moved here 6 yrs ago, I had a 3.5yr old and a 0.5yr old. They grow quickly! Lots of great memories here.

Tonight, wife and kids will be in a hotel in NJ, the cat and I - sleeping on an AeroBed -- will be in the new house, and on Friday, the unloading in our new house begins. We relocated the plane a few days ago, and it was very weird walking around CDW, and driving around the area, thinking that it was my new flying home.

The best memory for me is spending many hours swinging my infant daughter on the backyard swingset. Since she couldn't talk or communicate, I had to do something to keep occupied, so I kept looking up at the sky, watching the planes from Wings go to and fro the practice area. Daydreaming. Then I turned my dreams into a reality.

Good times.

Andrew,

New memories in a new home will also be etched in your mind. I wish you the best in completing the move and getting the family settled in.

Mary and I just moved her folks this past summer, thank God for people who do that stuff for a living! We only had to pack boxes.

Good luck with the move! My condolences on having to go to NJ, just consider it "doing time" until you can get out! :D

My father was an instructor in the military. The military knows it is cheaper to send one instructor to 25 students than the other way. We moved so often that I attended 25 schools before high school graduation. Kids get used to it if they have the most important things in life, Mom, Dad, each other, and love, encouragement, acceptance. If you are there for the kids, then where you are is home.

Mom and Dad had a way of telling us we were moving again. Dad would come home and we'd have a celebration. Dad would announce joyfully, "You're gonna love it in ..." We loved Georgia, Illinois, Arizona, California, England, Mississippi, and New York. You and your kids will love New Jersey.

Best wishes on your move to New Jersey.

I assume you will be rooting for New York baseball teams now that you're a mere stone's throw across the creek away. :yes:

-Rich

Good luck with the move. Make sure you have plenty of time to spend with your kids in the upcoming days at the new place. I made it a point to set up the kids rooms in the new place the same way as in the old (pictures on the walls, bedsheets and all) before I did anything else in the new house. It was still rough.

Best wishes on your move to New Jersey.

I assume you will be rooting for New York baseball teams now that you're a mere stone's throw across the creek away. :yes:

-Rich

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
:smilewinkgrin:

Hope the move goes well and you begin to create new memories in your new home.

We'll all have to "Fly-Out" to "Fly-In" to see you!

My family moved several times as us kids were growing up. Sometimes it was difficult to say our goodbyes, but we always had fun "helping" unload and set up at the new house.

Since you're checking out CDW, where's the new house? I was born in Paterson and grew up in Wayne.

Great Idea. Wings Crew can all 'plane-pool' to get there. He's got a hangar, so what a better place to hang out for a while.

Hell no he's comming to us! CDW is to damn expensive and even Andrew will admit he is not worth the landing fee there:D. I wanted to put together a final Wings Hangar Mafia Beer Drinkers event to give him a proper send off but times, Wx etc just didin't work so we will have to have one soon and drag his ass back for a proper send off! While we will miss him on Fridays he has promised to come back now and then.

Just remember Andrew you can take the man out of Philly but you can't take YO! otta the man!

It's bittersweet and never easy. Those major moves -- different states, communities, time zones -- can be hard.

But time heals all wounds, and better yet, a new house quickly becomes a new home with its own memories.

While we still look back on our house in Lancaster with fondness, we're glad we made the move to Western Pennsylvania to learn a whole different language, culture, and level of sports fantasism!

Enjoy it! Just sorry the move had to be in the wrong direction.

:cornut:

And yes -- it's a different language -- dint yinz knows dat?

Well, here i am, in the new house. Against all odds the wireless network fired up without any heroic measures whatsoever. I must be living clean.

It's just me, the two goldfish, and the cat here tonight. The girls are staying in a hotel with Mom until tomorrow, when the trucks pull up and start disgorging. Man this has been a long freakin' week. I've already 'splained to the Missus that I am going to watch US/England on Saturday afternoon and the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday, regardless of the state of unpack in the house.

New Jersey. Gack. It'll be tough putting on those license plates.

(Tewksbury)

Good luck in the new endeavor. You'll be surprised how much the spouse makes the best of it. The women know.....what really counts.

Yeah, you just took a huge tax and freedoms/rights hit. I've moved, but always managed to stay in free states like Colorado, PA and Kentucky. Hey, but its still America and there's always "Hope" right? :)

Moving is one of the hardest things in life to do but you'll get through it. Hang in there Bro.

Good luck in the new endeavor. You'll be surprised how much the spouse makes the best of it. The women know.....what really counts.

In this case, I am the spouse! She's the high-powered executive, I am a lowly household manager driving a man-wagon (that is, homemaker driving a minivan, but the other way sounds more impressive)!:D

Man wagon? This is what you need!

woody.jpg

Slow day around here today so far. Let me know if you need some help unpacking. I'm right across the creek, and I've been meaning to do some shopping at a place in Fairfield.

-Rich

If ya'll are out in the sticks, why can't we just land on your street or in the back yard. I'm ready, Adam you go first.

If ya'll are out in the sticks, why can't we just land on your street or in the back yard. I'm ready, Adam you go first.

Ooooooooohhhh. I gaze longingly at every farmer's field. I figure, if I build a Zenith CH801, I can get in and out of anywhere, then I can commute to KCDW by air. I'm sure I could work out some equitable agreement with someone!!

Slow day around here today so far. Let me know if you need some help unpacking. I'm right across the creek, and I've been meaning to do some shopping at a place in Fairfield.

-Rich

Well thank you very much for the offer.

I have no idea where Fairfield is!!!

I do know where Somerset is, because Comcast told me I could pick up my new cable boxes in Port Murray, which I now know is 25 minutes northwest of my house, from which Somerset, and the Comcast office that actually had the boxes that would work on my system but for some reason the Comcast person who told me the move from Pa to NJ would be seamless and somehow didn't know this, is another 48 minutes back to the southeast, whereupon one needs to travel another 20 mins back to the northwest to get home.

Do you get the feeling I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly irritated with Comcast. And that was before the internet went down because suddenly my modem didn't work with the NJ system, an issue the friendly Comcast customer service person didn't warn me about when she said the transition would be seamless.

Well thank you very much for the offer.

I have no idea where Fairfield is!!!

I do know where Somerset is, because Comcast told me I could pick up my new cable boxes in Port Murray, which I now know is 25 minutes northwest of my house, from which Somerset, and the Comcast office that actually had the boxes that would work on my system but for some reason the Comcast person who told me the move from Pa to NJ would be seamless and somehow didn't know this, is another 48 minutes back to the southeast, whereupon one needs to travel another 20 mins back to the northwest to get home.

Do you get the feeling I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly irritated with Comcast. And that was before the internet went down because suddenly my modem didn't work with the NJ system, an issue the friendly Comcast customer service person didn't warn me about when she said the transition would be seamless.

You're very welcome.

Fairfield's in Northwest Essex County. Not that that's necessarily "close" to you (as I don't know exactly where YOU are, either). But New Yorkers tend to think of "Jersey" (we drop the "New," for some reason) as being pretty monolithic; so a trip to Jersey is a trip to Jersey.

See, as much as we curse the roads in Jersey, secretly we know that they're much better than the roads in New York. Even the jughandles make perfect sense when you think about it. So once we actually get to Jersey, it's usually pretty smooth sailing to get to a particular place in Jersey.

The hard part is actually getting to Jersey. Not that there's a shortage of ways to do it. It's just that they all stink. The GWB implies the Cross-Bronx Expressway and its legendary traffic jams, and taking the tunnels involve driving through Manhattan, which those of us in the "outer boroughs" are loath to do.

There are a few ways to avoid Manhattan, but they also stink. Taking the Goethals Bridge or the Outerbridge Crossing require taking the notorious BQE (which has been under continuous construction for 71 years) to get to the Verrazano Bridge (which requires a hefty toll), then taking a 50 / 50 chance of encountering epic traffic on the Staten Island Expressway. If you take the Outerbridge you also have to deal with NY/NJ 440, one of the world's most notorious speed traps. It is, however, a convenient way to get to the Edison Diner, one of my very favorite Jersey Diners. (And since New Yorkers secretly know that Jersey Diners are the best diners in the world, that's saying something.)

There's also the Northern route, of course, which entails crossing the Hudson on the Tappan-Zee Bridge, which engineers believe could fall into the Hudson at any given moment. Seriously. Assuming it doesn't, it would get you to Rockland County NY, from whence entry into Jersey might not even be noticed were it not for the cheaper gas. But the Northern route takes you waaaay out of the way unless your destination is in Northern Bergen County, and it may require a few tolls depending on where in New York you're coming from. But I've used it when all the other ways were backed up.

In the end, those of us in New York tend to choose our routes to Jersey based primarily upon which route we predict will be least painful at a given moment in time. Where exactly we want to go in Jersey is a secondary consideration, because once we're in Jersey, we usually move pretty well. That's why we think of Jersey as being monolithic. Jersey is Jersey; and if someone calls us on the cell phone and asks where we are, "Somewhere in Jersey" is a perfectly acceptable and complete response. Jersey is Jersey.

Except for "South Jersey," which is really part of Pennsylvania.

The difficulty of getting to Jersey and our conception of it as monolithic is also why New Yorkers try to have at least two reasons for going to Jersey. It's such a pain in the neck to get there that we like to have multiple purposes for our trips and multiple destination in Jersey. And it really doesn't matter if those destinations are 50 miles away from each other, because we secretly don't mind driving in Jersey. It's getting to Jersey that we hate.

-Rich

Lol, the drones in the call center are entirely clueless. Comcast is organized as separate divisions by county, ownership of the equipment follows those divisions. I moved 5 miles from one county to the other and I couldn't even return the boxes to the 'new' comcast office but had to treck all the way to county seat #1. Getting the static IP to follow us to the new location took an act of congress.

The hard part is actually getting to Jersey. Not that there's a shortage of ways to do it. It's just that they all stink........

The difficulty of getting to Jersey and our conception of it as monolithic is also why New Yorkers try to have at least two reasons for going to Jersey. It's such a pain in the neck to get there that we like to have multiple purposes for our trips and multiple destination in Jersey. And it really doesn't matter if those destinations are 50 miles away from each other, because we secretly don't mind driving in Jersey. It's getting to Jersey that we hate.

-Rich

I have a route thru NYC that a Long Island native gave me several years ago. If you can get across the GWB, you're golden. But I won't disclose it on the internet. My days of the dreaded Cross Bronx or the long-way Tappan Zee are ovah!

I have a route thru NYC that a Long Island native gave me several years ago.

I have one of my own - it's called an airplane. :D

Good luck in the new house. I know what you mean about the license plates - New Jersey is at the bottom of my list of "States I want to live."

Do you get the feeling I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaly irritated with Comcast. And that was before the internet went down because suddenly my modem didn't work with the NJ system.

This would be the reason I no longer have comcast and I didn't even move. It seemed that every year or so my internet stopped working and the tech always said I had to buy a new modem. This time I bought a DSL modem and got DirectTV.

Whole time I was here with Suscom NEVER once had that problem.

Even the jughandles make perfect sense when you think about it
I grew up in NJ but didn't set foot in the state for about 20 years. The first time I went back my flying buddy was driving and cursing the fact that he couldn't find a place to make a left turn. Suddenly the word "jughandle" flashed in my mind. You're right, they do make sense in a way. It's always strange going back. I can't believe that I barely remember a place I spent the first 19 years of my life.

I grew up in NJ but didn't set foot in the state for about 20 years. The first time I went back my flying buddy was driving and cursing the fact that he couldn't find a place to make a left turn. Suddenly the word "jughandle" flashed in my mind. You're right, they do make sense in a way. It's always strange going back. I can't believe that I barely remember a place I spent the first 19 years of my life.

Oh my goodness... now why did you have to do that?!?!?!

My Jerserories were almost gone.... :incazzato:

I love jugs. Big ones, small ones. Love 'em all.

Jughandles, not so much. What is it about this stupid state that everywhere you want to go is on the other side of the road, separated by an oh-so-aptly-named Jersey Barrier?????????

Roundabouts, as implemented in New Jersey and Maryland, flat out awful. I hate the Flemington Circle like I used to hate Ted Kennedy, before God called him home. Traffic circles are wonderfully effective, when implemented correctly. In general, England and France have them pretty much nailed. I've been into some gnarly British traffic circles but i'll chalk that up to the drive on the wrong side of the road thing.

I've been into some gnarly British traffic circles but i'll chalk that up to the drive on the wrong side of the road thing.

Like the linked ones? Or a big circle with smaller circles around the perimeter? Mad, that's what some of those British traffic engineers are. Mad, I say! :D

Because that circle was built during the Lindbergh kidnapping trial -- cars have multiplied since then...

If the military would like to test a new precision weapon, I say give 'em the coordinates for the Flemington Circle. Actually, there's a big nasty circle near Somerville too that is pure wild west, but at least they have traffic signals metering the traffic into it. Of course, the unwitting driver who thinks that green light means nobody will be careening wildly around the circle when they enter will get a scary surprise. My approach is to close my eyes and hope for the best. :hairraise:

If the military would like to test a new precision weapon, I say give 'em the coordinates for the Flemington Circle. Actually, there's a big nasty circle near Somerville too that is pure wild west, but at least they have traffic signals metering the traffic into it. Of course, the unwitting driver who thinks that green light means nobody will be careening wildly around the circle when they enter will get a scary surprise. My approach is to close my eyes and hope for the best. :hairraise:

I learned to drive in Jersey -- my Driver's Ed teacher forced us each to drive out to one of those circles (May have been Somerville?).

His reasoning? If we could successfully drive in Jersey, we could drive anywhere.

(New Yawkers think they are the wildest, badest, most courageous drivers -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry -- merging at .0002 feet per hour doesn't exactly require skill. And I've cut off plenty of NY Cabbies -- they ain't what they used to be :wink2:)

Anyway, I think he was right!

I learned to drive in Jersey -- my Driver's Ed teacher forced us each to drive out to one of those circles (May have been Somerville?).

His reasoning? If we could successfully drive in Jersey, we could drive anywhere.

(New Yawkers think they are the wildest, badest, most courageous drivers -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Sorry -- merging at .0002 feet per hour doesn't exactly require skill. And I've cut off plenty of NY Cabbies -- they ain't what they used to be :wink2:)

Anyway, I think he was right!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

Seriously. US 202 is a god forsaken piece of dung road. I used to use it as a short-cut when I was going down to Philly from Boston. It is quicker, but each minute you save on 202 you give up in longevity.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back