Final Call -- You're invited to the 13th Annual H.O.P.S. Party in the North 40

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
T-Minus 6 days till departure for OSH -- last call!

This is your official invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation Usenet groups that pre-date the modern internet.)

Mary and I are long-term EAAers, and this will be our 33rd consecutive Oshkosh Fly-In! As always, this party will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 22, 2015.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=2c184c945a

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food, while "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country. It's great fun!

How does one find this party, you ask, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right in to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it here as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A named "Amelia" in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV-8A out there! We also usually fly an enormously tall Texas flag over our site, so that should help to track us down, too.

Hope to see you there!

Sounds like fun :) I'll have to find some local libations to bring along

I'll be there!
Sweet. :)

OSH prep continues here.

762ec73a6d31f2bbf696d34d0666ef60.jpg

What's funny is that by the time y'all see her, she will have been sitting out in the sun, rain and dirt for 5 days, and won't look a thing like this!

See ya there Jay!!! Looking forward to it, I will have several in my group coming with me, and am bringing a delicious toasted coconut creme ale as my admission!!

See ya there Jay!!! Looking forward to it, I will have several in my group coming with me, and am bringing a delicious toasted coconut creme ale as my admission!!
Be still, my heart. Coconut creme ale???

I look forward to it! (Where is it brewed?)

Is unfiltered wheat beer from Boulevard brewery here in KC acceptable at HOPS?

Jim
Extra points are awarded if you can't see through it. The only way to achieve that with a wheat beer is to put it in a dark colored bottle. lol

I've got some Revolution Anti-Hero in cans and Lagunita Little Sumthin Extra. Also some O&H Kringle (raspberry, cherry cheese, and pecan). Of course the Kringle will probably be consumed prior to Wed!

We made it effortlessly to Grove, OK for our first fuel stop.

Second leg? Not so fun. We persevered, however, and after 6.5 hours in the air made it from South Texas to our son's home in St. Paul, MN.

The path was torturous, but at 181 knots it didn't hurt too bad.

cf2719e101113bfc8cb3768fec249945.jpg

Tomorrow, we launch for OSH. Should be in the N40 by noonish!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jay be sure to post pictures. For us that can't make it. Always jealous of the hops party.

Jay just landed!! Looking forward to seeing you buddy.

f998a9af5ed7815317129ceae142c133.jpg

We are in Row 508! If the big flag is up, we are at the site. Stop by!

Last edited:
I'll be there Wednesday and Thursday. I won't be flying but taking the car. Don't ask. :mad2:

John

Last edited:
God Bless Texas!

LOL

Greg, working on the flightline, I saw a number of Cessna 195s land. We had pretty strong crosswinds over the last couple of days, and the 195 pilots were REALLY dancing on the rudders.

Is the 195 one of the tougher tail draggers to land?

Also, I had a debate with one of the flightline guys, who said I should send the 195s to the hard surface taxiway vs the grass taxiway north of 9/27. The grass is certainly wider than the hard surface (my argument for your S turns while taxiing) while he said that it would be better for a heavy plane like the 195 to be on taxiway Bravo vs the grass.

Thoughts?

Newbie question: How do I get the beer for this from my parking (right off the arrival end of 23, next to gate 2 and the terminal) to camping easily? The North 40 bus appears to be inside the main gate and they're checking bags, so I imagine that won't go over well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Greg, working on the flightline, I saw a number of Cessna 195s land. We had pretty strong crosswinds over the last couple of days, and the 195 pilots were REALLY dancing on the rudders.

Is the 195 one of the tougher tail draggers to land?

Also, I had a debate with one of the flightline guys, who said I should send the 195s to the hard surface taxiway vs the grass taxiway north of 9/27. The grass is certainly wider than the hard surface (my argument for your S turns while taxiing) while he said that it would be better for a heavy plane like the 195 to be on taxiway Bravo vs the grass.

Thoughts?

I thought that all taildragers preferred the grass to pavement.

Newbie question: How do I get the beer for this from my parking (right off the arrival end of 23, next to gate 2 and the terminal) to camping easily? The North 40 bus appears to be inside the main gate and they're checking bags, so I imagine that won't go over well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
There is a gate in the fence by Hardee's and another one by Super 8. Park over there, walk through the gate (no security there into the North 40, hop the bus (no one cares if you have beer in the N40), and ride it around to Row 508.

Look for the white awning and big Texas flag!

There is a gate in the fence by Hardee's and another one by Super 8. Park over there, walk through the gate (no security there into the North 40, hop the bus (no one cares if you have beer in the N40), and ride it around to Row 508.

Look for the white awning and big Texas flag!

That'll be a bit of a walk from the terminal, but we'll see you there!

That'll be a bit of a walk from the terminal, but we'll see you there!
From the terminal you can catch the same bus and ride it over to row 508 from there.

From the terminal you can catch the same bus and ride it over to row 508 from there.

Inside the fence or outside? I'm looking at the bus routes on the app and don't see any bus or tram routes that near the terminal on the inside. On the outside, I only see the one to the front gate.

Inside the fence or outside? I'm looking at the bus routes on the app and don't see any bus or tram routes that near the terminal on the inside. On the outside, I only see the one to the front gate.
Sorry, I don't know. I see busses coming from "thataway", but I don't know what the terminus is at the other end.

I would be amazed if you couldn't catch a tram/bus from there.

Okay, the party is on for anytime after 5 PM. We provide fud and drinks. First 40 attendees score the coveted HOPS Party tshirt.

We are in Row 508, up near Rwy 27. Look for the big Texas flag over the big white awning!

Okay, the party is on for anytime after 5 PM. We provide fud and drinks. First 40 attendees score the coveted HOPS Party tshirt.

We are in Row 508, up near Rwy 27. Look for the big Texas flag over the big white awning!

I finally figured out how to get there by pulling out the paper map I got up front (which is far better than the one on the app, by the way). We'll probably head up in an hour or so (but travels may take a while)... just resting feet in the meantime.

dbd54f5c2d866b370e4b6b249b7c16b2.jpg

This is one of several "official" 13th Annual HOPS Party pix. We just wrapped up, and we've got some cleanup to do, but I wanted to get this pic up before hitting the sack for the night. It was great to see everyone, and we had a fantastic time! Thanks, everyone, for coming!

Nice picture Jay thanks for posting,looks like a good turnout.

Nice picture Jay thanks for posting,looks like a good turnout.
61 people, by our best estimate. It was awesome.

(As always, some left before the pic, while others arrived later.)

We have the best collection of beers, yet. Stop by and help us drink it!

More pix from the HOPS Party!

fca09aaf0afca4df6a522e9e80d59998.jpg

Geico!
0ae36ef6e1328dee4035186595ae2692.jpg

d946553d8a4b847bc96644a553909ae4.jpg

16b0222ca5c46ab8f4b60a8045701637.jpg

b42ec7d3bce0278579971781fbd78314.jpg

72deaf57021f6bffe311a91a0f5ed175.jpg

890413858fb0a0d00b1985fec19a5b6a.jpg

4d260716b8fbe24b690d0f75c4d7f6fa.jpg

49be87e187bbd2816591fc49135d16b3.jpg

Jay ...

Do you know if anybody got a pix of me trying to wave the airshow warbirds into HOPS with the beer bottles for flags?

I'm putting white flashing LEDs into the beer bottles as we speak; that ought to get somebody's attention next year. (I sprayed plastic seal over the labels so they ought to hold up for ten years or so.)

Jim

Back