Fight School price Sheet...too expensive or to good to be true?

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Hello,

After doing extensive research on flight schools here in the Tampa, Florida area I settled down to a few here is a price sheet from one of them. Do you folks think it's too expensive or too good to be true?!

What are the questions I should be asking?

As always thank you for your advice!

Intro flight tomorrow 69 bucks! to fly a Cessna 172sp with a G1000 system...Not too bad! I will probably do that and then fly a Piper as well next week!

001.jpg

I think the prices are about what one would expect for those airplanes in that area in today's economy. Just keep in mind that a "solo" course is a pretty limited result compared to training all the way to a Private Pilot Certificate, and there can be no guarantee that you'll be qualified for solo in 15 hours of flight training plus 5 hours of ground training. Some people may achieve that, but many will not.

If you are flying w/them....dont waste your money on the Piper. You have more availability with the Cessna there. After you get your ticket, you can try out the low-wings. Lots to digest at the outset.

Have fun!

Hello,

After doing extensive research on flight schools here in the Tampa, Florida area I settled down to a few here is a price sheet from one of them. Do you folks think it's too expensive or too good to be true?!

Intro flight tomorrow 69 bucks! to fly a Cessna 172sp with a G1000 system...Not too bad! I will probably do that and then fly a Piper as well next week!

View attachment 34387

Hello,

View attachment 34387

The prices seem to be in line with others I've seen...the instructional rates are a bit higher than market, IMO.

I suspect the intro flight is 20 minutes, so don't expect too much. Either way, bring your proof of citizenship and make sure the flight time gets logged.

Prices look fine, exactly what I'd expect.

Hello,

View attachment 34387

Those prices are in line with our flight school at KPGD (Harborside Aviation) in South West FL.

I tend to be cautious about pre paying for flight training. Partly for the reasons Ron stated but also I've seen (or heard about) too many flight schools closing their doors and leaving their customers high and dry.

Two things: I'd fly the cheaper 172, the G1000 is wonderful, but for your private you will spend most of your time looking outside instead of at the neat screens.;) Also, be very wary of paying upfront for time or lessons, maybe a little in advance to get a discount, but lots of stories about people putting up thousands and the school closing and leaving them with nothing. :mad2:
Enjoy!!

I think the prices are about what one would expect for those airplanes in that area in today's economy. Just keep in mind that a "solo" course is a pretty limited result compared to training all the way to a Private Pilot Certificate, and there can be no guarantee that you'll be qualified for solo in 15 hours of flight training plus 5 hours of ground training. Some people may achieve that, but many will not.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't expect to solo in 15 Hours because I don't have any previous flight experience so I'm preparing for more. I know the requirement is 40 Hours minimum for PPL. I'm betting I will probably do it a little over 50.

Prices on the planes are OK (not great, not bad)

CFI rates are really very standard across the industry at $50hr, so they are a little high there.

Don't pay a damn bit of attention to their package or estimated prices. The time it takes depends very much on you and your natural abilities.

That said the NATIONAL AVERAGE is about 70 hrs with 10-15 being solo (so you're not paying for the CFI for that time), so just look at their hourly rates.

The other MAJOR factor on price is their CFIs, this is where you will spend too much or have a great deal, where you will learn quickly and properly or become a mess for your check ride.

When you interview CFIs try to find a CFI who holds an ATP and a Gold Seal CFI. This won't guarantee anything but it's a good sign, also ask to talk to some of that CFIs current students.

It doesn't look too cheap to me, but not to expensive either...

Packages don't mean ****, unless they give you an hourly discount. It takes how long it takes, and that is highly dependent on the cfi and the student.

As others said, prices look reasonable.

A question to ask is availability of the aircraft you will be training in. Usually open? Usually booked? How many slots can you book at one time.

Financial advice of only paying in the minimum needed to get preferred rate is spot on. Never prepay any more than the bare min to get the block rate.

I am out of PCM. I know there rates are quite a bit lower. Might not be as nice of planes though. It probably is in line but I know you can find better deals in area.

Fight School price Sheet...too expensive or to good to be true?

Welcome to Fight School. The first rule of Fight School is: you do not talk about Fight School. The second rule of Fight School is: you DO NOT talk about Fight School! Third rule of Fight school: someone yells "stop!", goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule: only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule: one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule: No shirts, no shoes. Seventh rule: fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule: if this is your first time at Fight School, you have to fight

Check membership numbers and availability of the 430-equipped planes. If it's good, join the club and save lots of money.

My FBO offered a 10% discount when paying for a 10-hour block in advance. See if they will do the same. Ignore the packages at the bottom.

Good luck, and have fun!

I agree with everyone else. Go with the 430 equipped planes. My CFI didn't even let me use the GPS for the majority of my PPL. The ground school rate is higher than you'd see in my area, but that's probably typical for your area. BTW, you may get your PPL in a little over 50, but the industry average is 60+.

If you are flying w/them....dont waste your money on the Piper. You have more availability with the Cessna there. After you get your ticket, you can try out the low-wings. Lots to digest at the outset.

Have fun!

Since the rates are actually less for the Archer (by a few cents at least), I'd train in the Archer personally. Such an easy plane to fly and land.

Actually, I'd probably use the Skycatcher as much as I could to save money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice!

I don't expect to solo in 15 Hours because I don't have any previous flight experience so I'm preparing for more. I know the requirement is 40 Hours minimum for PPL. I'm betting I will probably do it a little over 50.

I soled at 12.7 hours flying a Cherokee. YMMV but I think the biggest thing to getting close to a 15 hour solo is flying several times a week. You won't sniff that number if you only fly once a week. Fly three times a week and it's very possible.

On a side note, since you have no previous experience I'll say this. It's hot outside. It's very likely to be bumpy if you fly during the day. Don't eat a heavy meal before going or you will get sick. But if you do get a little sick don't let that discourage you. Grab some ginger gum and eat a light next time and you'll work through it.

Instruction rate seems high,look for a flight school that offers a pp ground school for a fixed price. I would fly the cheapest rental until getting the ticket,then fly the more expensive models to see what you like.

Instruction rate seems high,look for a flight school that offers a pp ground school for a fixed price. I would fly the cheapest rental until getting the ticket,then fly the more expensive models to see what you like.
Yep. A 150 with single VOR would be good. Unfortunately in LI it goes for $109 which is not even that cheap

Yep. A 150 with single VOR would be good. Unfortunately in LI it goes for $109 which is not even that cheap

Man that sucks.

I rent a Cherokee 140 at $105 an hour w/block discount just south of D.C.

152's can be had for $85 an hour on block rate around here.

I agree with everyone else. Go with the 430 equipped planes. My CFI didn't even let me use the GPS for the majority of my PPL. The ground school rate is higher than you'd see in my area, but that's probably typical for your area. BTW, you may get your PPL in a little over 50, but the industry average is 60+.

Why do you care if it has a 430?

All trainers fly similarly, and all Cessna 172s fly the same. Get the cheapest one. Even if it looks like hell. As long as airworthiness is not a problem. You don't care if the shag carpet is stained and the icky brown and yellow paint screams "1973." You do care if the spinner is falling off or there are scorch marks coming out of the radio or there is a big bird dent in the leading edge or the engine won't idle.

Flying, particularly around a coastline, can be done pretty easily with no avionics at all, let alone fancy avionics. At least at the pre solo level, they are a distraction aside from radio procedures.

I agree with looking for the low-end avionics, but even a 430 is overkill. Doesn't anyone over there have a basic 172 with two nav/comms and nothing else for $120/hour or less?

Last edited:
Why do you care if it has a 430?

All trainers fly similarly, and all Cessna 172s fly the same. Get the cheapest one. Even if it looks like hell. As long as airworthiness is not a problem. You don't care if the shag carpet is stained and the icky brown and yellow paint screams "1973." You do care if the spinner is falling off or there are scorch marks coming out of the radio or there is a big bird dent in the leading edge or the engine won't idle.

Flying, particularly around a coastline, can be done pretty easily with no avionics at all, let alone fancy avionics. At least at the pre solo level, they are a distraction aside from radio procedures.

the planes in the price sheet specified a 430. I was talking about those in particular versus the one listed with a G1000 since they were cheapest ones listed. I agree with what you're saying. I'd go with a non-430 if it were available for less.

Last edited:
the planes in the price sheet specified a 430. I was talking about those in particular versus the one listed with a G1000 since they were cheaper.

That makes sense, but I'd look around for something cheaper.

I don't like the idea of having a traffic display in front of a student. They are often wrong and promote heads down time.

The problem with me is I'm a big guy and a 150 will be uncomfortable for me and the CFI. I have wide shoulders and a few pounds around the waist. (I lost 15 pounds just recently, trying to get down to 205-210 I'm currently at 250lbs) I should get it done in a few months.

The problem with me is I'm a big guy and a 150 will be uncomfortable for me and the CFI. I have wide shoulders and a few pounds around the waist. (I lost 15 pounds just recently, trying to get down to 205-210 I'm currently at 250lbs) I should get it done in a few months.
Then a 172 would work for you. IMO if you want to train in a plane with all the bells and whistles and can afford it, why not? Just make sure you know how to navigate if those big screens crap out. There seem to be a lot of anti-GPS here. You are required to know how to use ALL the functions of your airplane and if you choose one with a GPS, you have to know how to use. but obviously if money is an issue, find something cheaper.

So you're saying, instead, a CPL CFI with no easily provable track record of student success is better?

The ATP means nothing. All the gold seal means is that the instructor works (or worked) in a high-volume environment, possibly a puppy mill. The requisite 80% pass rate is not impressive when the national average is close to 80% in the first place. In other words, it's also meaningless.

Last edited:
The ATP means nothing. All the gold seal means is that the instructor works (or worked) in a high-volume environment, possibly a puppy mill. The requisite 80% pass rate is not impressive when the national average is close to 80% in the first place. In other words, it's also meaningless.

Let me guess...you have earned both the ATP and the Gold Seal and that's how you know they are meaningless?

Considering that the only comparable plane at my local FBO a 2003 Archer III rents for $171 per hour I'd say your rates are pretty darn good.

With full tanks, you and your CFI may exceed weight for 150...so I agree, 172 is the way to go. Save the G1000 for when you go for your instrument rating.

Two things: I'd fly the cheaper 172, the G1000 is wonderful, but for your private you will spend most of your time looking outside instead of at the neat screens.;)

This. I'm a firm believer in the crappier aircraft you can do you privates in, the better pilot you'll be for it. I did my training in a 77 Cessna 152 with original avionics, and it made me that much better of a pilot as I had to do everything the old fashioned way with no technology to help me out.

This. I'm a firm believer in the crappier aircraft you can do you privates in, the better pilot you'll be for it. I did my training in a 77 Cessna 152 with original avionics, and it made me that much better of a pilot as I had to do everything the old fashioned way with no technology to help me out.

I don't know about better, but it sure gives you a leg up when the fancy stuff fails. The more tools you can grab as needed, the more options you have to deal with unexpected stuff.

There isn't much benefit prior to the private to have G1000 experience, and there isn't any prior to solo. You can always take care of that after you're licensed to carry passengers.

However, in the context of an instrument scan, the glass panels are laid out much better. A G1000 is designed so you can do everything with your right hand and all the controls are between the screens or on the bottom. But none of that benefits you as a VFR student pilot.

Last edited:
Re the price sheet, I think they have goose up the instruction rate on the assumption that prospective customers will focus on the airplane rates, which they can then hold down. If the instruction rate were $20/hour cheaper and the airplane rates were $20/hour higher I wonder if you would be getting any different comments here.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but IMO using any GPS makes situational awareness way too easy. I would suggest to the OP that he go gps-less until he passes his check ride, then get a few hours of GPS instruction. Same-o when going for the instrument rating. I'll get a lot of disagreement on this, though.

Back