Field Service Station?

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
Did Flight Service Stations used to be called Field Service Stations? Like in the mid-20th century?

Not in my lifetime (63). There were flight service stations at airports. Flight service stations on the field. They would provide airport advisory service. You could walk in for a briefing. They administered written exams. They reported the weather. DF steers. Clearance delivery. They were generally staffed by friendly helpful people. I believe there may be some in AK but I'm not sure about that.

Interesting. I usually call 1800wxbrief for pre cross country weather briefing, and I didn't know that was part of FSS. To be honest, I didn't know there was a FSS except for maybe a few arcane questions on the written test.

I call the FBO before heading out to check things at the airport, but can't think of (besides WXBrief) what I would get by calling or contacting the FFS.

Interesting. I usually call 1800wxbrief for pre cross country weather briefing, and I didn't know that was part of FSS. To be honest, I didn't know there was a FSS except for maybe a few arcane questions on the written test.
What used to be Flight Service Stations (FSS) were consolidated into Automated Flight Service Stations (AFSS) a while back...this was essentially one per state, with exceptions, and 800 WX BRIEF was the phone number that would (theoretically) automatically connect you with the appropriate AFSS for your route. This was further consolidated into largely a single station and contracted out, and is what we have now.

They were generally staffed by friendly helpful people.

During my hang gliding days in the 70s, I would call the FSS at KABQ every day I planned to fly from Sandia Peak, using a made up airplane registration number. Telling the briefer I was planning a local VFR flight (technically accurate :D ), I would ask for winds and temperatures between 10K and 15K MSL.

After a couple dozen of these interactions, I became familiar with one person's voice, and he with mine. One day I called, and after giving my fictional N number and asking the same old questions, he said something along the lines of "Is it difficult to strap that Cessna to the top of the tramway car?" and then "There can't be much of a runway on top of the mountain, how do you manage takeoffs?".

I was busted. I stammered out a lame reply, and he began laughing at my discomfort. "Did you think I wasn't smart enough to figure out what you're doing between 4 and 8 PM on days when winds are between 230 and 270, less than 15, and the lapse rate is favorable?

Me: "Wuhwuhwuh...well, um, I guess not." He laughed some more. After that, this fellow and the other briefers were even more friendly and helpful.

It's too bad these good folks are being replaced by web pages and radar images. There was something reassuring about their calm and competent demeanor.

Back