Field approvals

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
What's the process and/or likelihood of a field approval for a Garmin GFC500 autopilot. I'm in the midst of getting some avionics upgrade quotes, and while my Beech Sierra isn't in the approved STC list currently, it sure would be nice to put in an auto-pilot at the same time that I do the other upgrades.

What's the process and/or likelihood of a field approval for a Garmin GFC500 autopilot. I'm in the midst of getting some avionics upgrade quotes, and while my Beech Sierra isn't in the approved STC list currently, it sure would be nice to put in an auto-pilot at the same time that I do the other upgrades.

If you do get down this road I would like to know how it went. I know it's been done before but it's typically mechanical engineer types that own the airplane and have unlimited time to create the drawings package and wait on FAA approval.

If your local FSDO is working with either Ft.Worth or LA ACO you have a better shot at this....but, If it were me....I'd wait.

Article from AOPA.
Garmin said it expects to expand the list of approved aircraft models, with the Piper PA-28 series slated for the first quarter of 2018, and the Beechcraft 35S/35V anticipated in the second quarter of 2018. Additional models are anticipated for the STC list. To suggest certification for other aircraft types, contact Garmin’s sales department and provide specific aircraft make and model information

Is there a STC for any aircraft close to your aircraft? If there is, simply ask FSDO for a deviation to that STC to be used on Your A/C.
You do that as a Field approval on a 337. ask for help from your A&P-IA

No Beech products currently have the STC it seems, just the 172 and 182 although some V-Tails are listed as in-progress.

Aircraft Models Currently Approved for GFC 500 Installation:

• Cessna 172
    • Models: F, G, H, I, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, F172F, F172G, F172H, F172K, F172L, F172M, F172N, F172P
  • Cessna 182
    • Models: E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, R, S, T, T182, T182T, F182P, F182Q
GFC 500 Certification Programs Currently In-progress:

(Subject to change.)
  • Beechcraft Bonanza
    • Models: S35, V35, V35A, V35B
  • Piper PA-28
    • Models: 150, 160, 161, 180, 181
GFC 500 Certification Programs Planned to Begin in the Next 12-months:

(Not currently under development and subject to change.)
  • Beechcraft Bonanza/Debonair
    • Models: C33, C33A, E33, E33A, E33C, F33, F33A, F33C, G33
  • Cessna 210
    • Models: 210L, T210L, 210M, T210M, 210N, T210N
  • Mooney M20
    • Models: To be determined
  • Piper PA-32
    • Model: 301T

Back