Fidelity - what a bunch of idiots

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
Has anyone seen the new Fidelity commercial? Starts with the sound of an airplane engine with a beautiful horizon, then the plane pitches up and nothing but sky, then pitches down and nothing but water. A voice over starts, "I was practicing a maneuver called a falling leaf, and I thought we were only 3-4 seconds from impact". Flash two wife, "I thought it was 5 seconds". Start commercial for morons.

I don't use Fidelity, thank goodness. What a bunch of flipping morons.

Has anyone seen the new Fidelity commercial? Starts with the sound of an airplane engine with a beautiful horizon, then the plane pitches up and nothing but sky, then pitches down and nothing but water. A voice over starts, "I was practicing a maneuver called a falling leaf, and I thought we were only 3-4 seconds from impact". Flash two wife, "I thought it was 5 seconds". Start commercial for morons.

I don't use Fidelity, thank goodness. What a bunch of flipping morons.

Grrrrrrrrr.

I hate banks.

Sigh. Haven't seen it.

Now back to the continued pussification of 'Merica. :(

God I hate how the world views aviation. Yeah it's a risk.

So is buying into the "lets go to the mall every weekend and be good little consumers after soccer practice and band camp in our 5-star safety-rated minivan" lifestyle. Argh. That'll leave you just as broke and sad with a house full of crap you don't need, just as aviation can make you fiscally destitute... or dead in reality if you munch yourself and the airplane.

One will be a heck of a lot more rewarding than the other though, getting there.

Meh, whatever. It's a commercial thats not going to affect anyones opinion one way or another.

Commercials are like politicians - believe them at your own risk, and you really know better. It's just cheerleading. As for the aviation aspect, yeah we all hate it because we know better - but we also know that we are not going to change the public perception, they just don't "get it". It's popular right now to be scared sheep running in a pack.

Fidelity is OK for what they do - I made enough to pay for the majority of my RV build over the last couple of years thanks to daytrading with them. No complaints about what they do, and I ignore what they say about themselves (same way I treat everyone - results before appearance). To be fair, I watch very little TV and pay absolutely no attention to commercials elsewhere. If I want something, I'm going to buy/use it. If not, no commercial is going to convince me otherwise.

Last edited:
Meh, whatever. It's a commercial thats not going to affect anyones opinion one way or another.
To be fair, I watch very little TV and pay absolutely no attention to commercials elsewhere. If I want something, I'm going to buy/use it. If not, no commercial is going to convince me otherwise.

I live overseas, no (English) television here. I watch Morning Joe every morning and this is a spot add that runs before a segment. Love the show, warts and all, and I know they need to pay the bills, but this add really T's me off.

Still think is run by a bunch of morons ... this add will stick with me for a long time, and not in a good way. There are other excellent alternatives to Fidelity, I'll use them.

There are other excellent alternatives to Fidelity, I'll use them.

Agreed - I'm using them as a means to an end, if another route gets you there with less heartburn then get after it.

Personally, I think it's pretty smart for a company to reinforce people's extant beliefs while they try and sell a product. Yeah, it ticks off all 5 of us. Big whip.

Last edited:
The important thing to remember is that we could all die at any moment and especially while practicing stalls in a light plane. So it is important to start saving now. Dying is expensive.

Yet people find it OK, and "safe" to drive within inches of semi trailers going opposite direction with a closing speed of 130 MPH or more. :confused:

Sigh. Haven't seen it.

Now back to the continued pussification of 'Merica. :(

God I hate how the world views aviation. Yeah it's a risk.

So is buying into the "lets go to the mall every weekend and be good little consumers after soccer practice and band camp in our 5-star safety-rated minivan" lifestyle. Argh. That'll leave you just as broke and sad with a house full of crap you don't need, just as aviation can make you fiscally destitute... or dead in reality if you munch yourself and the airplane.

One will be a heck of a lot more rewarding than the other though, getting there.

With our over protective helicopter parenting, combined with our nanny state, try to imagine this nation fifty our a hundred years from now. Consider that each generation adds to what the previous generation has done.

When I was a little kid, I had a Daisy BB rifle that either Santa Claus or my parents gave me for Christmas. That would probably get Santa Claus or my parents thrown in prison with myself and siblings put in juvenile protection today.

I'm glad I won't be around to see it.

-John

When I was a little kid, I had a Daisy BB rifle that either Santa Claus or my parents gave me for Christmas

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Merrill Lynch makes Fidelity look like geniuses. Appearances behind, M-L's incompetence lost me serious money.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Merrill Lynch makes Fidelity look like geniuses. Appearances behind, M-L's incompetence lost me serious money.

Nobody said anything like that to me, all they said was don't point it at anyone. Although I have lost one of my eyes, it wasn't from my BB gun.

-John

The important thing to remember is that we could all die at any moment and especially while practicing stalls in a light plane. So it is important to start saving now. Dying is expensive.

Really? Dying is free, won't cost you a thing. Dealing with someone else dying is expensive if you let it be. The chances of dying while practicing stalls in a light plane is extremely remote, unless you choose to do it at 1000 Agl.

Really? Dying is free, won't cost you a thing. Dealing with someone else dying is expensive if you let it be. The chances of dying while practicing stalls in a light plane is extremely remote, unless you choose to do it at 1000 Agl.

The cheapest funerals are the bus stop funerals. All you have to do is remove any identification and leave your loved one sitting on the bus stop bench. The city will take care of the rest of it for you.

-John

The cheapest funerals are the bus stop funerals. All you have to do is remove any identification and leave your loved one sitting on the bus stop bench. The city will take care of the rest of it for you.

-John

My in-laws donated their bodies to science, didn't cost me a thing. Very considerate of them.

True story. Nitwit cousin was at one of the UC's (father-in-law donated to UCSD). She was in a gross anatomy lab for reasons that escape yours truly. She called her mother up one day in tears exclaiming "I think I just dissected uncle George!".

My in-laws donated their bodies to science, didn't cost me a thing. Very considerate of them.
My father in law donated his body to science. His statement was that was the only way he'd get into medical school. What we were not prepared for is that about a year later, a box arrived with the cremated remains. Now what do I do with it, my mother in law thinks. She's beginning to suffer from Alzheimers and promptly loses the box. We find him later under the china closet in the dining room. When we moved her into assisted living I took possession of "Fred." My wife was telling someone that Fred was now under Mama's bed at Sunrise. I said, "No he isn't, he's in the hall closet." When Mama finally passed, we tucked him into her casket right before the internment.

We still have my mother-in-law's cremains somewhere in the house, I truly don't want to know exactly where. Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.

-John

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

NOT the post to read while drinking a beverage.

Most commericials portray the customer as a bumbling idiot. Just look at the Progressive commericials.

That was my old bosses line as a joke, if we died at work he was dragging the body to the street and we were the city's problem. Too much paperwork otherwise.

As far as the "bumbling idiot" portrayals, it's true. Watch any prime time show about any married couple and the make will be portrayed as the total ignoramus in the family, causing all the problems, while the oh-so-wise wife/girlfriend will be fixing everything for them.

In real life, we are all idiots, equally. ;)

Well, there is a Todd Reece in the FAA Airmen's DB, Private Pilot. Maybe he did scare himself and his wife bad enough to prompt a call to their financial planner... ???

Back