FF question

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
I flew to Millard MLE today. When departing mle they request you to contact Omaha approach prior to taking the runway for fir clearance or to request flight following. I contacted and received a squawk code.

In this instance, when should I, or should I contact approach after getting airborne? They contacted me and ask me to ident and say altitude. Wondered if I should have contacted them.

Thanks,

Jim

You got GREAT service..... my gut feeling is they want to boost their FF numbers to justify their existance when the budget axe gets swinging in the next few months........

I would contact them as soon as I cleared the airport environment. i.e. climbed to 500' above pattern altitude. I'd monitor the airport CTAF in #2 for a while longer.

But that's probably not the right answer. :)

How did they contact you? Were you on Omaha's frequency? If you we're departing east and wanted to enter their class c you would need to contact them anyway and likely get a code. Might as well do it during run up.

How did they contact you? Were you on Omaha's frequency? If you we're departing east and wanted to enter their class c you would need to contact them anyway and likely get a code. Might as well do it during run up.

I contacted them on the ground and got a code. The did not contact me again until I was about 10 miles out and at 3500 feet. In hindsight, I think I should have done what timwinters suggested.

second question - If I contact approach on the ground and get a code, is that radio contact, am I cleared into the Charlie?

Thanks,

Jim

I contacted them on the ground and got a code. The did not contact me again until I was about 10 miles out and at 3500 feet. In hindsight, I think I should have done what timwinters suggested.

second question - If I contact approach on the ground and get a code, is that radio contact, am I cleared into the Charlie?

Thanks,

Jim

#2 - I'm thinking they wanted radar contact.

If you contacted them of the ground at a nontowered airport and got a freq and code, they expect you to call them as soon as you are clear of the traffic pattern and can safely leave the CTAF.

If you contacted them of the ground at a nontowered airport and got a freq and code, they expect you to call them as soon as you are clear of the traffic pattern and can safely leave the CTAF.

Makes sense. Say there are no radar services available (radar beacon too far from you), how would they know you departed without talking to them?

Makes sense. Say there are no radar services available (radar beacon too far from you), how would they know you departed without talking to them?

Why do you think they care if/when a VFR departs in a non-radar environment?
...or for that matter in a radar environment.

You won't get service until you call them and they have you in radar contact.

In the IFR case, when they issue your clearance (or release) they'll give you a time window to depart (a void time). Unless you call them and tell them you didn't, they'll assume you departed within that window and plan accordingly.

In the IFR case, when they issue your clearance (or release) they'll give you a time window to depart (a void time). Unless you call them and tell them you didn't, they'll assume you departed within that window and plan accordingly.
Either departed and lost comm or departed and crashed. They'll start making a hole in the sky for you IAW 91.185(c) to cover the first case and calling the sheriff to go out to the airport and look for a column of smoke to cover the second.

Back