Ferrying airplane

U

Unregistered

I will be ferrying a super charged da40 this week and I'm flying out commercially to pick it up, I was going to bring oxygen for the flight. Can I bring this on an airline and if so what's the best way to?

Like Greg said, call the airline, different ones have different procedures. You will definitely be able to bring the rig, you may however have to empty it and pull the valve.

send it through freight. but then again, they might have policies against compressed gas canisters.

or just fly below 12500. you are not gonna save considerable time/fuel by flying in the FLs.

send it through freight. but then again, they might have policies against compressed gas canisters.

or just fly below 12500. you are not gonna save considerable time/fuel by flying in the FLs.

Depends on the winds and which direction he's going. I'm thinking the only option as most everyone says no to bottled O2, it take the rig and have it filled up at the destination.

Might save considerable pain and expense to take oxygen along.

Below 12500 without oxygen might be legal, but it's not very safe, particularly for long periods of time. And altitude really helps keep off the big rocks when the wind is blowing.

Depends on the winds and which direction he's going. I'm thinking the only option as most everyone says no to bottled O2, it take the rig and have it filled up at the destination.

going west you are probably better off down low in a piston single. going east, yeah i guess you can do the 350+ knots like cirrus on the other thread.

You need a letter for medical use,you could ground ship UPS. Wouldn't mind that trip myself.

A lot of the times if you bring the tank to <100psi, and it has a gauge, they can make an exception to pulling the valve.

I do not know of any airline that will let you take a charged O2 bottle on board either in the cabin or as baggage/cargo. Empty bottles with the valve open, is ok on some of them but not in the cabin. If you need O2 as a pax in flight you usually have to purchase the service and use their supply.

I've had to deal with this. I've emptied the tank and taped the opening, so I could check the kit as baggage (with a big "EMPTY" label on the tank and then charged the owner for a recharge at the departure airport. Charged him again if I had to repeat the process for the destination-home leg.

Only had to do it once though - usually a factory turbocharged airplane comes with an O2 system installed, or the owner had a portable system already, and I just used it.

I had a run in with TSA about my CO2 cartridge in my BC. They said it couldn't go, I said it could, they pulled me aside while I looked it up on my PDA. Sad for them - they were wrong. Which I think led directly to the change in policy. My next trip to Belize removed the statement allowing CO2 carts attached to the BC for diver safety.

I was not allowed to bring the cylinder on the plane under any circumstance and had to take the valve off so FED X could look inside before they shipped it.

It might be easier to find a cylinder at your destination but you can bring the regulators and masks and such with you. Then you'd have an extra cyl around so you could swap them when you need a fill (my local gas place can't fill O2 but ships it over to their other facility. Takes 2-4 days depending on just when I hit the delivery times).

Like Greg said, call the airline, different ones have different procedures. You will definitely be able to bring the rig, you may however have to empty it and pull the valve.
...and put it in checked baggage. They may view it as a "club-type weapon" if you put it in your carry-on.

Can't answer your question, I just want to hear more about this supercharged DA40.

Forced Aeromotive has been working on an STC for a supercharged DA40 for some time. That's probably what he's talking about. Looks like a nice package.

Forced Aeromotive has been working on an STC for a supercharged DA40 for some time. That's probably what he's talking about. Looks like a nice package.

Cool! We have one with the Powerflow exhuast and 3 blade MT propeller, evidently you get a "true" 180 horsepower out of that. Pretty decent flying airplane as it is, but as with almost anything I feel like it'd be more fun with some more "oomph".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back