Ferry Pilots

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
You have just bought an aircraft that is out of annual, it has been inspected and the ferry permit is signed off as safe to fly.
Can a ferry pilot that is a CFI give instruction in it to the new owner student pilot on their way home, or the place the annual is to be preformed?

Instruction cannot be given when flying on a ferry permit.

It's a ferry permit, not an instruction permit

Last edited:
Every ferry permit I've gotten has been restricted to required crew. Because of this, unless the plane requires more than one crew member I think you're going to be solo.

On the other hand, neither the student or the instructor is a passenger so maybe?

A ferry permit (special flight permit) is issued as a Special Airworthiness Certificate and should always come with Operating Limitations. Read them. They tell you what you can and cannot do.

I've seen the FAA buy off on more than one required crewmember for light GA airplanes several times, but I've also seen ferry permits abused enough times that I wouldn't push to be part of giving instruction on one.

A ferry permit (special flight permit) is issued as a Special Airworthiness Certificate and should always come with Operating Limitations. Read them. They tell you what you can and cannot do.
Correct answer.. when requesting a ferry permit, you ask the FSDO to allow the pilot and a owner to fly. If you don't ask, you get the standard form. flight crew only.

Back