Ferry Pilot

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Would you hire a single ferry pilot over a married pilot to ferry you plane. Single pilot has no wife or kids to sue you should something go wrong. Married pilot might not want to be away from the family over the holidays. Single pilot might go when a married pilot might think twice about it.:stirpot:

I would pick on past history and experience.....
That and availability. IOW: can you do it on the dates needed? Can't imagine asking a potential ferry pilot if they are married.

First question is always: what does my insurance require for pilot experience.

Might also add corporate pilot and charter pilot to the list. The legal liability of Married over unmarried men and women, with or without children has to play out somehow. :yes:

Should have also stated equal experience and age, only single over married.
So.....why did this even come up?

If you are concerned about getting sued, it is best not to ask about marital status as a prospective employer. Depending on how you ask the question, it may or may not be legal and could open the door to issues if the person you didn't hire wants to take issue with it.

I guess there weren't enough threads about Cirrus and David Bowie....

Last edited:
EEOC says that marital status is a protected class, so of course it doesn't matter :D

The real question is how much would a cheapskate like yourself be willing to pay for an aircraft ferry?

How competent is (s)he, can he deliver according to my schedule and how much does he charge are important.

Marital status is not. Just make sure you have standard, or better, liability insurance.

Hmmm, it's a "protected class" for employees, but do those rules also apply to contractors?

I ferried a lot of Cherokees from Florida to Seattle back in the 70s and can't recall anyone asking whether or not I was married.

Bob Gardner

I ferried a lot of Cherokees from Florida to Seattle back in the 70s and can't recall anyone asking whether or not I was married.

Bob Gardner
40 years ago liability was a non issue or very low on the scale of protecting ones home. Now people live their life around is this going to expose me to a court case that might take everything I have. Unless you cover yourself with multi million insurance or have nothing that plane you just bought also came with the liability of it killing the pilot. If the pilot you contracted with had a wife and three small kids just how much of a judgement do you think the wife might get verses a single guy. Everything else being equal the OP was married or single ferry pilot.

Are we assuming that all ferry pilots are men ?

Are we assuming that all ferry pilots are men ?
First, my guess is that ~98% of ferry pilots are men.
Of course, In my post, I did refer to them as "(s)he" to cover the few women.

Would you hire a single ferry pilot over a married pilot to ferry you plane. Single pilot has no wife or kids to sue you should something go wrong. Married pilot might not want to be away from the family over the holidays. Single pilot might go when a married pilot might think twice about it.:stirpot:

I would be more interested in their logs and history of flying.

As someone who might ferry a plane, I wouldn't answer the question and I would charge considerably more if someone asked me that, reason is I don't really need the ferry job and if someone is asking me dumb, personal and if irrelevant questions chances are I'm probably going to be flying for some secret squirrel type. Ain't no one got time for that.

Last edited:
Hmmm, it's a "protected class" for employees, but do those rules also apply to contractors?

According to the EEOC: "People who are not employed by the employer, such as independent contractors, are not covered by the anti-discrimination laws."

So I guess not. I guess that means you can discriminate when choosing hookers!

Brien.

I think you have a very valid point here. The folks replying to your post are obviously not employers in the real world.

As an employer I would never ever break any of the employment laws, I would not discount a pianist because he had no hands, or a bouncer with one leg.

I had a friend who employed many people, he died several years ago, this is what he told me.

Never hire a girl who is 20 years old and recently married, and do not spend $22,000.00 on training her. Guess why. A 350 pounder does not fit well behind a food counter with others, tattoos look dirty in a fast food environment.

For a full time ferry pilot, especially on overseas jobs will have many delays and bad situations. Long periods away from home and tough conditions.
For a one time trip as others decide is fine, but for full time employment I would prefer a single person.

But, our government is part owner of all our businesses and make many crucial decisions for us.

Time to listen to some lies, the "State of the Union" comes on the TV very soon.

Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken

Now people live their life around is this going to expose me to a court case that might take everything I have.

That is a stupid way to live one's life, and people that live that way deserve to have nothing.

That is a stupid way to live one's life, and people that live that way deserve to have nothing.
If you don't have anything you probably would not have the plane to look for a ferry pilot. People that have money think about litigation those that don't well they don't.:cheerswine:

People that have money think about insurance, then get on with their lives.

Then I guess they aren't worried about it.

Is there a law requiring aircraft insurance?

Last edited:
I would insist on a fairy pilot who can sprinkle a little pixie dust and save the airplane in the event of a mechanical failure.

Then I guess they aren't worried about it.

Is there a law requiring aircraft insurance?
Some airports require liability insurance only, others do not require anything. I know of no State that requires aircraft liability insurance. I believe boats are the same, some marina operators require boat liability insurance. No State that I know of does.

If you don't have anything you probably would not have the plane to look for a ferry pilot. People that have money think about litigation those that don't well they don't.:cheerswine:

Then you have never been around people with money.

We don't spend out lives worrying about "is this going to put me in court".

Again, that is a horrible, and quite limiting way to live life.

I can't remember all the letters I have received from "law firms" telling me they represent somebody, and claiming some sort of damages. And advising me to pass the letter along to my counsel, or, if I do not have counsel, to seek counsel and pass the letter to them.

And, not a single one has ever been passed along to counsel, and, not a single one of the ambulance chasers has ever followed up with a second letter.

Get out in the real world and start living. Don't believe that somebody's paranoia shared on POA is how real people live.

Single pilot has no wife or kids to sue you should something go wrong. .:stirpot:

And do not put hot coffee between her legs :wink2: Welcome to US reality

Back