Ferry permit for annual

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Wondering how much time does it take to get a ferry permit to fly an airplane out of annual to a maintenance shop, and does it matter how far away the maintenance shop is?

how much time does it take to get a ferry permit to fly an airplane out of annual to a maintenance shop,
Depends on several things like the local FSDO ASI requirements, A&P sign off for flight, and aircraft condition. For examp!e, if you're talking about a simple administrative type issue where the aircraft is airworthy except for a current annual entry it can be done in same day in most cases.
does it matter how far away the maintenance shop is?
Not really. But if you're using the ferry permit for something other than an "annual sign off" then you may have to be specific in your request. That said, I've signed off ferry permits that went coast to coast. So it depends.

My last couple have taken a couple of days. You’ll provide departure and destination airports, route, and duration of the flight. Pretty simple stuff for my FSDO but I’ve read some FSDOs won’t issue ferry permits and refer you to a DAR.

Wondering how much time does it take to get a ferry permit to fly an airplane out of annual to a maintenance shop, and does it matter how far away the maintenance shop is?

I just did this last month. I flew it from Dallas to Houston. Super easy process and it’s all online now. The FSDO where the airplane is LOCATED at the time of application is the approving FSDO. Make sure to have the A&P signoff BEFORE making the online request. This is because you will upload the A&P signoff for the ferry flight during the online application process.

The shop my plane was having the annual done had found a crack in the landing gear webbing in the 310. The shop was too backed up to make the repair. They signed off the annual inspection with the discrepancies noted. I got a ferry permit and flew it to my home airport where the shop will install the side brace kit.

I applied for the ferry permit and had it emailed to me the next day. The key thing is to have the A&P signoff before you apply for the ferry permit. Luckily for me, I am an A&P, the owner and pilot of the ferry flight. That made things very simple.

You also need to see if your policy will cover a ferry flight. Avemco did since I was the one insured and also the pilot. If you have a ferry pilot move the plane then you may have issues.

Most Ferry flights are VMC only, required min crew and can only go nonstop to the maintenance airport except for required fuels stops. Those have to be listed with the ferry permit. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will want to verify AD Status as a Ferry Flight is not authorized for some ADs.

Back