Ferry Flight Atlantic Crossing

JohnThorpe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Blackbird1948
Looking to hire Ferry Pilot flying a CESSNA 177B IFR from Lake in the Hill, IL, USA across Atlantic to Cambridge England. PLANE IS N Reg. 1973 3300 total hrs engine 333 hrs.
Can anyone recommend a pilot and PM their contact details please ?
Also has anyone undertaken an Atlantic crossing who might be qualified to complete crossing with appropriate fees/costs paid.
If I can assist as co pilot then that is not a problem. I am PPL/IMC 350 hours. I have a UK and USA PPL licence

I am not planing on a ferry crossing until the summer 2017

No commercial rating so I can't help but it's something I'd like to do.

I've done the flight planning for my 177RG and it looks possible. My problem is my like loves taking trips in the plane but thinks going commercial is a better idea for a trip to Europe. She says she'd rather have the extra time over there than to spend it going there.

I hope you can find a ferry pilot that will let you go along.

Keep us posted

Gary

The Baffin Island, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands route has the longest leg of 450NM (Greenland to Iceland). So its doable in most planes. Kind of lonely and dangerous though. I just flight planned it, never flew it.

Last edited:
I know of a guy in Wichita that regularly does this trip in 172s for Cessna. Will PM you.

I could do this, most likely. CPL/IR with 1800+ hours across 50 countries to date. Spent 5 good years living in Cambridge so I know where I'm going :D

Kudos to the ferry pilots that do this regularly. You may want to get in contact with Guido Warnecke

IMG_0385_zpsoumuan0o.jpg

I assumed they wouldn't be at an altitude where they would benefit from the jetstream.

It doesn't change the fact that prevailing winds blow that way most of the time. Jetstream obviously won't help them.

Are auxilary tanks needed? I did just a quick look at a map and I'm not seeing it without some extra gas.
Yes, it is doable without ferry tanks. You would need to call ahead to make sure that your intended stops have Avgas on hand, but it looks like fuel is available where needed.

You can't quite go direct. Have to go north toward Frobisher and then cross to the west side of Greenland. From Iceland you would need to stop in the Faroe Islands before continuing to Scotland.

It doesn't change the fact that prevailing winds blow that way most of the time. Jetstream obviously won't help them.
I get it. Its been many years since I've flow cross country or transcontinental and I can't recall the exact flight time difference between directions. I figured out my initial thought was skewed by what I do remember... When flying east to west cross country I always left in the morning and arrived early in the day and going west to east I always arrived later, usually night. Flying to and from Europe even amplified the misperception. Time change. LOL. Have never had to consider flight time or wind as an A&P... except that a cargo door might get damaged... :)

Back