Ferrari vs Cessna

Lol, I think just about ever boy in America probably had a Countach or Diablo wall poster in their bedroom in the late-80's/early 90's.

Testarossa! Red, of course. :)

Trying to explain a Ferrari to a non-enthusiast would be like trying to explain being a pilot to a non-flyer.

Exactly. If someone doesn't understand it now, no amount of explanation is going to get them there.

Testarossa! Red, of course. :)

I prefer the Daytona (Miami Vice Seasons 1-2, yes I know it was fake), never liked the asymmetrical look of the 1 mirror of the Testarossa (Season 3-5). And of course Magnums 308.

Uhhhhh... you obviously don't get the point of a Ferrari. Save for the few GTO models, they are race cars. They aren't designed nor intended for everyday driving.

No, they are sports cars for use on public roads. They're
I prefer the Daytona (Miami Vice Seasons 1-2, yes I know it was fake), never liked the asymmetrical look of the 1 mirror of the Testarossa (Season 3-5). And of course Magnums 308.

I always thought of the Ferrari 308 as being the Morgan Fairchild of automobiles. Nice to look at, but not much of a performer.

Years ago (when I was young and stupid), I looked into maybe getting an older Ferrari, and decided the oldest I'd go was a 360 Modena because IIRC it was the first model that didn't require pulling the engine for some of the servicing.

But I'm so glad I didn't get one, as it would have been a huge drain on my budget for what would have been, at most, a weekend toy.

I love Ferraris, especially the 360/430/458/488 line. I remember seeing a 360 for the first time in person and thinking it's one of the most beautiful body styles ever made. Still is. But I'll probably never be in a financial picture to own one. If I'm going to spend that much $$$ on a "toy" (ie, non-essential pleasure vehicle), I'd rather get an older SR22T someday and REALLY break the budget :)

I was going to buy a 360 a few years ago but my wife told me to buy a "Regular" car and rent an exotic...best move I ever made, (Did I ever mention my wife is smarter than me when it comes to those kind of decisions :) )

I always wanted a Countach

Those are among the only cars that actually appreciated over time!

Lol, I think just about ever boy in America probably had a Countach or Diablo wall poster in their bedroom in the late-80's/early 90's.

I had a Ferrari Testarossa on my wall in the 80's ONE of the best cars, (At the time) Ferrari ever made. I also like the 250.

Depends how you look at it. 355 was the first with the "F1" trans. The 430 was the last with a gated manual

The F1 transmission is horrible. Avoid like cancer. It's crap to drive, it's not very strong, and it's hilariously expensive to repair.

At 10k for a TB I would just roll the dice. Unless Ferrari uses natural leopard foreskin to make the belts they are going to last longer than 4 calendar years.

They pretty much did. It's (well, they are, there's two) a 24mm belt, waaay underrated for what it is.

Boys with posters on the wall fantasize about owing a Ferrari.

Men driving Ferraris on the street fantasize about driving a race car.

Why not just get a real race car and head for the track?

Nothing on the street comes close to the kick of being in a 70-car field rolling toward the Sebring starting line and seeing the green flag drop and hearing the scream of all those engines around you and jockeying for position into turn one.

Men driving Ferraris on the street fantasize about driving a race car.

That's not my experience. My experience is that men with Ferraris on the street also race.

Or they crash. That happens too.

That's not my experience. My experience is that men with Ferraris on the street also race.

Or they crash. That happens too.

Some do. Most I have known do not. Though one did sell his Ferrari to buy a formula car and go racing.

But we probably know different people.

Some do. Most I have known do not. Though one did sell his Ferrari to buy a formula car and go racing.

But we probably know different people.

We probably do. :)

Sorry guys. No electric car is zero emissions. The mining, refining, and production of the rare earth elements required for the batteries create an equivalent of 80,000 miles of pollution for each car before the car even leaves the factory.

Also, power plants, whether solar, wind, water, natural gas, coal, or even nuclear have emissions from their construction. These have to amortized into the electricity produced. And natural gas, coal, and nuclear all have emissions from electrical production.

Finally, battery fueled cars are heavier, because of the batteries. This translates into more wear of the tires and brakes; each of which produce dust that pollutes the atmosphere.

And, what do you do with the worn out batteries?

I'm not against electric vehicles; I drive a Highlander Hybrid SUV. My tires wear out faster than expected because of the extra weight of the electric motor/alternator, and battery. Luckily, the tire companies haven't cottoned onto the fact that hybrid and pure electric vehicles go through tires faster.

I drive a really nice Ford pickup. Juuuuuuuuuust sayin'.

If it looks somethin' like this then we can forgive you....

ratrodpickup1.jpg

Reactions: Ted
Sorry guys. No electric car is zero emissions. The mining, refining, and production of the rare earth elements required for the batteries create an equivalent of 80,000 miles of pollution for each car before the car even leaves the factory.

Also, power plants, whether solar, wind, water, natural gas, coal, or even nuclear have emissions from their construction. These have to amortized into the electricity produced. And natural gas, coal, and nuclear all have emissions from electrical production.

Finally, battery fueled cars are heavier, because of the batteries. This translates into more wear of the tires and brakes; each of which produce dust that pollutes the atmosphere.

And, what do you do with the worn out batteries?

I'm not against electric vehicles; I drive a Highlander Hybrid SUV. My tires wear out faster than expected because of the extra weight of the electric motor/alternator, and battery. Luckily, the tire companies haven't cottoned onto the fact that hybrid and pure electric vehicles go through tires faster.
LMAO. Go talk to environmental scientists. The best solution is mass transit and super high density cities not urban sprawl. But if you have to have a car, and the car is going to be new, an EV does less long term damage than buying another gas burner.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

If it looks somethin' like this then we can forgive you....

ratrodpickup1.jpg

Love the flathead V8 and classic rat rod look. I was really thinking about a flathead V8 on the Ford 9N, but rebuilt the existing motor largely because Laurie wanted something that would be good for the kids to learn to drive a tractor with, and going up to 75 HP in a 9N would probably be a bit much there.

I'm starting the Cobra now but some sort of 1940 or earlier build is appealing to me following that.

LMAO. Go talk to environmental scientists. The best solution is mass transit and super high density cities not urban sprawl. But if you have to have a car, and the car is going to be new, an EV does less long term damage than buying another gas burner.

Tim

Not when the EV starts with an extra 80,000 mile equivalent of pollution because of the rare earth mining and refining, and all the smoke stack emissions needed to generate the electricity that runs the car, plus the transmission losses.

I wonder how that compares to the "equivalent pollution" to produce a gasoline or Diesel fueled car? If you look at the total picture, I mean. Sure, you have to produce batteries for the electric vehicle. On the other hand you don't have the mining, smelting, casting, machining, etc. involved in producing an internal combustion engine, plus all of its supporting stuff -- gas tank, radiator, exhaust system -- the oils, coolant, hoses, all of that. Somehow I doubt that a comparison of the all-in, end to end energy expenditure would show a huge difference.

As for the power generation, as we shift more of our production wind, solar and hydroelectric, we gradually reduce the use of hydrocarbon fuel and their associated emissions. While it used to be common for cars to be scrapped before they hit 80K miles, now that's not so much the case. The extensive use of much better materials means your new car can be expected to last a long, long time regardless of what makes it go. My wife's hybrid was over 70K when we traded it off, and the batteries were still going strong... and it was the first year for that model.

Take two power plants, one coal and one wind or solar or whatever. There's an energy expenditure on the manufacture and construction of each, so they start off more or less even -- give or take a factor of 2 or 3, let's be generous about it. One will continue to burn train loads of hydrocarbons for its entire useful life. One will not. Long term, it's a win for the "renewable" plant.

I'm not anti-coal, anti-gas, anti-nuclear, anti-oil, anti-wind, anti-solar, anti-hydro, a "greenie", or a tree-hugger. I am pro-progress. If there's a better way of doing things, then we should be working toward it even if we don't have all the right answers right now. Build them all, let the market sort them out.

Not when the EV starts with an extra 80,000 mile equivalent of pollution because of the rare earth mining and refining, and all the smoke stack emissions needed to generate the electricity that runs the car, plus the transmission losses.
Most ICE cars die due to economics between 150 and 250 miles. You now have used EV from 2013 hitting the market with 300k and still have 90% of their battery capacity.

The EV due to fewer parts, advances in charging will outlast almost any ICE. Note, it varies by company but most of the massive battery problems around 100k predicted miles ended between 2011 and 2013.

So longer term, if you need a new car and are considering carbon footprint. EV is the way to go.

Middle of nowhere Illinois.

Howdy der pardner! Where ya fixin ta be callin yer homestead since wer both from tha same hollar?

SUBTITLES: "Good evening, sir! Where is it that you call your hometown, since I both see that we are both from rural Illinois?"

Which is why those cities ( New York, London, Paris, ...) are so cheap to live in.:rolleyes: o_O

Most ICE cars die due to economics between 150 and 250 miles. You now have used EV from 2013 hitting the market with 300k and still have 90% of their battery capacity.

The EV due to fewer parts, advances in charging will outlast almost any ICE. Note, it varies by company but most of the massive battery problems around 100k predicted miles ended between 2011 and 2013.

ICE cars die (in my experience) due to worn out interiors and accessories which people don't have fixed and eventually add up to not economically viable. One day you realize that you're not willing to fix the AC, repair two window lifts, fix the cruise control, and replace the wiper motor to cruise down the road sitting on a threadbare seat with a headliner draped over your head. It is time for a new car. That's the same kind of thing that will kill the EV's.

That and the expense of all of the additional infrastructure and generating capacity necessary to supply a meaningful portion of the overall fleet with electricity.

ICE cars die (in my experience) due to worn out interiors and accessories which people don't have fixed and eventually add up to not economically viable. One day you realize that you're not willing to fix the AC, repair two window lifts, fix the cruise control, and replace the wiper motor to cruise down the road sitting on a threadbare seat with a headliner draped over your head. It is time for a new car. That's the same kind of thing that will kill the EV's.

That and the expense of all of the additional infrastructure and generating capacity necessary to supply a meaningful portion of the overall fleet with electricity.

Among family and friends, I know of only one who junked the car when it was interior, comfort related. All others it was transmissions, engines, or in one case a leaking fuel tank (final straw, engine was going also)....

Tim

Among family and friends, I know of only one who junked the car when it was interior, comfort related. All others it was transmissions, engines, or in one case a leaking fuel tank (final straw, engine was going also)....

Tim

Maybe your family didn't junk them, but they probably downcycled the vehicles to someone who was willing to accept lower end transportation. We're talking EV's, and when those EV's get run down (even if the drivetrain is fine), they will get downcycled.

Exactly.

Lack of basic maintenance. If we were required to perform the same maintenance on cars as required on airplanes, we would all still be driving cars from the 80s.

Maybe your family didn't junk them, but they probably downcycled the vehicles to someone who was willing to accept lower end transportation. We're talking EV's, and when those EV's get run down (even if the drivetrain is fine), they will get downcycled.

No, we mostly junk them. I am one of the rare ones who trades in vehicles. Once the vehicle is no longer reliable, I trade it in.

Tim

Back