Fellow Student's First Solo; Southwest B737: "Go Get 'Em"

OCviaMotorCity

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
B. Stanton
Fellow student did his first solo today at KSNA.

I was doing pattern work with my CFI and getting ready to taxi back to Rwy 20L for another take off when he was ready to drop his CFI off.

As we (57P) were notified that 8ME was dropping off his CFI at Txy J, we begin our taxi up Charlie and the over the radio the Tower gives a special message to 8ME on behalf of the Southwest Airlines B737 headed to the gate.

Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAn_4XXC3E

Cool for 8me!

I was nervous with my first solo And I even had the whole airport to myself. I can't imagine being at 8me's field with all the big planes watching me my first go around.

Fellow student did his first solo today at KSNA.

I was doing pattern work with my CFI and getting ready to taxi back to Rwy 20L for another take off when he was ready to drop his CFI off.

As we (57P) were notified that 8ME was dropping off his CFI at Txy J, we begin our taxi up Charlie and the over the radio the Tower gives a special message to 8ME on behalf of the Southwest Airlines B737 headed to the gate.

Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAn_4XXC3E

We all started there once,the big guys are wishing they could be in the little airplanes.

Nice! I forgot what airport I was at but it was a really windy day and I had a good crosswind and I greased the landing and the jet pilot chimed in and said "nice landing"

I forgot to stop and pick up my instructor after the first solo....

Few years ago I landed at the Class C and when I cleared 28L I stopped to call Ground since they hadn't cleared me to taxi prior. Ground told me to hold for a crossing Southwest 737. As it approached very close I thought, "he's getting a pretty good look at my tiny 172." I looked up at the cockpit and the FO was waving! I thought that was pretty cool.

Must be something about those SW pilots.

We all started there once,the big guys are wishing they could be in the little airplanes.

Kinda like fishing
If you're standing on the bank you throw out in the lake
If you're standing on a boat you're throwing to the bank.
Way cool though

That is very cool. 8ME won't soon forget this courtesy from SWA. In one way or the other primary students learn to avoid the big iron. It's neat when the big guys welcome the new guy.

I soloed at a Class C too. Everything was thrown at me to the point I thought my CFI had devilishly asked TWR for 'special requests'. When I taxied back to the ramp there were about 8 CFIs whooping it up just for me.

After dumping my instructor out on the taxiway (didn't need to ask the tower) my first solo takeoff was met with this observation by the tower:

4YF Doesn't it fly a lot better without that fat guy in the right seat?

Is he still there??? :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The ground controller reminded me before I turned off the taxiway into parking. I swung a 180 without informing ground and went back to pick her up.

In my excited state of succesfully flying in the air and returning by myself I just forgot to stop. In my defense she was in the tower, not on the ground, so I didn't see her. Thats my story and I am sticking with it....:lol:

What a cool video -- and a neat experience.

It's in such stark contrast to my solo, on a small grass strip in Wisconsin. I had the airport to myself, except for my grizzled old CFI -- who was inside the little FBO sipping coffee. ;-)

That's really awesome! Congrats to the pilot who soloed.

I soloed at KISP a class c with Southwest traffic. I had an amazing first trip around the pattern and, upon touch down, literally I had to speed off the runway to avoid causing a Southwest 737 from going around. I turned off the taxiway, screeched to a hault and turned around to watch the 737 about to touch down in full flare! I can still see that image in my head and it's nearly 4 years ago! I'm sure 8me will not forget that first solo either!

Heh - my solo was on the local news. The local stations had reporters just off the approach end, off airport property, so they could get shots over their shoulders of an airplane doing pattern work. The airport had just reopened after cops shot a guy trying to hijack a 172. Turns out I was the airplane giving them the action shots in the background.

Heh - my solo was on the local news. The local stations had reporters just off the approach end, off airport property, so they could get shots over their shoulders of an airplane doing pattern work. The airport had just reopened after cops shot a guy trying to hijack a 172. Turns out I was the airplane giving them the action shots in the background.
Wow! Did you get a copy of the video?

Back