Feedback on Reassembly/Operating/Training Costs for PA-28 180

I hope your Dad is still around and able to answer the WHY was the aircraft was

disassembled.

I like Bells plan to work in a garage or similar.

You should know that avionics contacts can tarnish or corrode and render the

unit inop.

You can put Power On and see what works.

Maybe you should say where you’re located ?

Someone may make an offer?

Yes my dad is still around.

He bought the plane to get his ppl but never quite got there.
Although he never told me directly, I believe he also bought it for me, he knew I always wanted to be a pilot.
He took it apart because he didn't want to pay tie down fees any more, probably with the intention that it could quickly be put back together when I was ready to use it.
He probably thought it would be a year or two, but then I joined the military, he lost contact with his previous mechanic and he moved down to Florida. There it has been for the last 6 years. (2 years in CT).

Located in jacksonville Florida. Less than 10 minutes away from Cecil Airport.

When you say basic trainer, do you mean something like an IFR equipped Cessna 150? Or just VFR? I don't really know if vfr only would really be worth it unless it is significantly cheaper.

I assume you have a PPL already, and wish to train for your IFR. Forget buying a plane to train in. Don't think of your training in toto. There are always unexpected events. Be flexible. Take your training one step at a time, IFR, then Commercial (actually you could get your commercial first), then CFI, then CFII. If you are currently employed, you can save "plane money" while you train. If you get your commercial first, you may be able to monetize it with a basic VFR plane.

Your wild-ass-guess about the $$ differential between reassembling the plane and renting is not really that much, and it is so filled with unsubstantiated assumptions and guesses as to be largely a fantasy. The error bars greatly overlap making the two options indistinguishable from each other. Stuff NEVER works out they way you plan. The key to a successful plan is flexibility and keeping your goal(s) clear.

What is your goal? Building an airplane or completing training?

Have you talked in depth with your father about the plane? Find the A&P who maintained it and took it apart. His records are public information on the FAA website and also probably available with a bit of Google. Study the maintenance logs and your father's flight logs. Get an A&P to make a careful effort, time, and cost assessment--then DOUBLE it. Maybe you will be blessed with an easy, one-in-a-million, slap-it-together-and-go-fly project.

Now that I've looked at the photos, what you have is nothing but a hopeless money pit. It's apparently been sitting on a boat trailer outdoors in Florida for years.

Hire an IA for an hour to inspect the airframe and other key parts for condition assessment. Likely to get a more precise idea regarding corrosion etc.

There are not many 1960's overhauled/restored Cherokee's. They sell for a premium price when hitting the market. If you get a few years of enjoyment out of it all the better.

Now that I've looked at the photos, what you have is nothing but a hopeless money pit. It's apparently been sitting on a boat trailer outdoors in Florida for years.

What a shame. Was probably a reasonable plane before it was taken apart.

Wow. That’s a lot of work. I wouldn’t even consider it personally. Planes don’t end up on trailers for no reason. The only times I’ve had to yank wings were to get something out of a field after an emergency landing. I’ve scooped up 3 of those.
I wouldn’t want to tackle this one. Not saying it can’t be done. I just don’t believe you’re going to come out well with regards to time and money.

Back