FDC 6/3975 & 3964

OzPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OzPilot
Anyone kept up with these upcoming convention TFR's ?

PHL one below....
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_6_3975.html
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_6_3964.html

They are the same, just different ARTCC for operations I assume.

It appears to be 3mn from 1am to 10am
then expands to 10nm from 10 to 1 am
the 30 nm Area A is in affect at all times, july 25 to 29th

Looking at the below text, it seems out of any 10-30nm airfield that we need a VFR flight plan files and contact ARTCC phone number on ground for XPNDR code first.

If I am flying an aircraft to a maintenance facility and out of the 30nm ring, I imagine my ops will be
1) file a VFR flight plan
2) get a discrete code
2) fly direct and out of the ring. As I am returning within an hour of departure, Would I stay on the same code and reenter the ring? or would i go through the phone call or airborne call again as I would be on a new VFR flight plan? e.g DCT DYL S37 DYL DCT rather than two flight plans of DCT DYL S37 DCT
DCT S37 DYL DCT

As it is a maintenance flight but not a MX testing flight (and I would be outside of the ring, part G doesn't apply.

Thoughts?
Cheers

=======================

A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN THE 3 OR 10 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE INNER CORE(S), ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR

B. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN THE 3 OR 10 NMR AND 30 NMR AREA(S) LISTED ABOVE, KNOWN AS THE OUTER RING(S): ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE OUTER RING(S) LISTED ABOVE ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS, AND WORKLOAD PERMITTING, ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. ALL AIRCRAFT MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR AND MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC.

G. THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THIS TFR: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, SEAPLANE OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, SIGHTSEEING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), AND UTILITY AND PIPELINE SURVEY OPERATIONS.

If possible, I'd fly IFR, but your plan works for POTUS TFRs, so it ought to work for this. If it's a ferry-permitted flight, IFR might not be allowed.

If you do file and activate a VFR flight plan, don't forget to close it, or you may get more scrutiny than usual. And keep FSS updated if your destination or ETA changes. For TFRs like this, the usual airborne activation is not generally allowed. You will need to contact FSS on the ground, either over the radio (sometimes it works, either directly or through a GCO), or by cell phone, before taking off. You must have a squawk code in your transponder before your wheels leave the ground. Note that Center is not likely to be able to activate a VFR flight plan, but FSS may be able to get you a (relayed) squawk code.

I'd suggest treating the two flights independently, as things happen and you may be on the ground longer than you thought.

A maintenance test flight is in the pattern or vicinity of the airport. It's not you. You're just flying from point A to point B, and that's all anyone knows or cares about.

Back