FCC to prohit the use of 121.5 for ELT's effective immediately?

Another guess is that the 406MHZ ELT manufacturers are behind this using a back door approach to force us into upgrading thus increasing their sales.
But the 406es also broadcast on 121.5 so the SAR folks can find you if you slide under a tree and your GPS signal is not attached....

-Skip

Would I be wrong in assuming that in the case of an emergency, PIC is authorized to do whatever is necessary, including 'using' an unauthorized ELT?
A pilot's emergency authority really only exists in regard to FAA regulations so technically the answer is no. Same goes for airborne analog cellphone use, you're still violating FCC rules without any official waiver, even in an emergency. Fortunately the FCC has very little in the way of enforcement manpower.

I'm thinkin' that, in sixty days or so, I'm goin' rogue!

If they do ban them they will also change the FAR paragraphs that require the 121.5, to be the ELT frequency... They will also change the rule saying you ought to monitor 121.5 at all times...

denny-o

Don't be silly! We'll still have to monitor 121.5 so the F-16 pilot can notify us that we're violating the latest roving 30nm TFR.

Don't be silly! We'll still have to monitor 121.5 so the F-16 pilot can notify us that we're violating the latest roving 30nm TFR.

No, that's what they have guns for. Remember that the 121.5 radio on the first Smoketown intercept helicopter was INOP. :hairraise:

I'm thinkin' that, in sixty days or so, I'm goin' rogue!

And I doubt anybody will know or maybe even care that you are. I don't see the FCC doing ramp checks or breaking into hangars to inspect ELT's and if its not an airworthiness issue as Tom says, then the A&P's won't be required to do anything either.

The real basis of the problem is that the FCC COmissioners are political appointees - payola for loyalty - and know nothing, zero, zip, nada, about radio and especially about radio applied to air traffic control...

denny-o
Licensed in the amateur radio service for 50 years...

The real basis of the problem is that the FCC COmissioners are political appointees - payola for loyalty - and know nothing, zero, zip, nada, about radio and especially about radio applied to air traffic control...

And the FAA administrators are always experts on aviation?

Attachments

• 0709038_7.jpg
    0709038_7.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 11
The commissioners had basically nothing to do with this.

The ELT ban will not be in effect for quite some time. In order for it to become LAW it must first be formally submitted to the Federal Register (which it hasn't been) and THEN after 60 days it becomes law! As long as the alphabet organizations (FAA, AOPA, AES, NBAA, etc..) keep at the FCC's heels, it should be prolonged further.
As far as the 121.5 in combination with the 405/6 units- this ban will not apply to these multiple signal units. (they're multiple w/121.5 so other pilots can still use aircraft radios to find these newer ELT's.)

Last edited by a moderator:
To resurrect this thread for a good reason - The FCC posted the attached in their Daily Digest today. They have recinded the prohibition on 121.5 ELTs at the request of the FAA.

Attachments

• FCC-11-2A1.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Back