FBO "Swag"

rt4388

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rt4388
I wrote a not so nice review about a FBO the other day on AirNav and the FBO reached out and said if I took it down they would send me some FBO "swag". Any idea what this may include? Just curious what sort of stuff they've passed out to other people before.

Update: so I received the box about three weeks ago, opened it once, and haven't looked in it since. It included two t-shirts, keychains, pens, two stress balls, and a bit of other junk. Next time, I probably won't take the review down. Oh well....

Last edited:
A water bottle with their company logo and a clicky pen with the same...o_O

Must have been quite the review. As one who reads air nav reviews,I think you should leave it up.

T-shirts, water bottles, card holders, pens, etc. Pretty weird way to handle an issue instead of addressing it. Airnav reviews disappeared for our FBO regularly so both FBOs have 5 stars which is confusing and dishonest.

I am surprised to learn that an FBO would contact the poster rather than Airnav.

I had the impression that Airnav’s customers are the FBOs, and that a negative review is pulled upon request by an FBO. Is that mistaken?

Did you try to discuss your issue with the FBO management before you posted your review or did you go straight to ranting?
Nah, I didn't reach out to management or anything. It wasn't that bad of a review. It basically just came down to us arriving slightly after the FBO closed and being told we couldn't run inside to use the restroom unless we paid the call out fee--even though staff was still on site and we were going to buy their self-serve. Maybe I should just expect this from here on out at FBOs, but it didn't seem like they were accommodating.

AirNav will pull your comment so you better just take what you can get and call it a day.

It basically just came down to us arriving slightly after the FBO closed and being told we couldn't run inside to use the restroom

Okay, so here’s the swag you should request:

13-00794.jpg

The FBO here is just here to take your money. No services provided except self serve fuel. And if requested full service fuel. And a restroom from 7am to 6pm. Sometimes.

Comments from AirNav users
XXXXXXX has requested that AirNav not collect or publish user comments. For any feedback or customer service inquiries, please contact XXXXXX directly.

I have always questioned Foreflight reviews. Being that is the largest platform for GA users lately. It always seems there are no current reviews of a good amount airports and FBOs. So it is either no one is using Foreflight to leave comments or reviews, or are they being removed.

As far as the OP I would put that email they sent on airway and Foreflight as a second review so everyone can see what butt hurt little babies FBOs can be.

I have always questioned Foreflight reviews. Being that is the largest platform for GA users lately. It always seems there are no current reviews of a good amount airports and FBOs. So it is either no one is using Foreflight to leave comments or reviews, or are they being removed.

Every one I’ve put in there is still there and some of them are ancient. People don’t remember to put reviews on ForeFlight.

It’s a pretty good feature when there’s something less than a couple months old in it. Which is hit or miss.

I don’t think the ForeFlight ones are pay to play. The FBOs aren’t advertising via ForeFlight. They do pay to play on AirNav.

Say something about Signature or Million Air on AirNav being overpriced — anywhere in the country — and both of those entities are on that review, getting it taken down, like stink on you-know-what.

Follow the money.

The only swag I'd like from most big-city FBOs (the only ones that have swag to give away) is a reduction in their stuoid ramp fees. $20 to park so I can walk next door for lunch? Really? And a Security Fee on top of that? With overpriced fuel and a "flowage fee" per gallon too? Nah. I'll pass on the FBO, but there's usually nowhere else to park. I've even been charged fees when I arrived after they closed and the building was locked. So now, I don't feel bad eating their cookies and drinking their fancy brew-by-the-cup coffee, if I can find one that's actually coffee flavored.

Nah, I didn't reach out to management or anything. It wasn't that bad of a review. It basically just came down to us arriving slightly after the FBO closed and being told we couldn't run inside to use the restroom unless we paid the call out fee--even though staff was still on site and we were going to buy their self-serve. Maybe I should just expect this from here on out at FBOs, but it didn't seem like they were accommodating.

Sounds like the staff wanted a little OT which they won’t get unless the FBO gets the call out. Not very customer oriented especially when it would have only cost them a few minutes and they were still there. Definitely need an attitude adjustment. Still I personally would have reached out to management first before leaving a review.

A months supply of Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies.
Heh my flight school got an angry call from platinum fbo cause we'd stop in chat with the fbo ladies and get a bunch of cookies. Then leave. Better than my fbos popcorn so always took breaks there

Last edited:
I would call and ask what they have done to make your next visit a better visit.

If your happy with their answer, take it down. If your not happy with their answer, remove that one comment and add "Review removed by request of XXX FBO. I suggest trying another FBO."

Or something along that line....

Happened to me with a CFI once. While he was negotiating with the desk people I used the restroom. Then he used their ramp.

Anyone wondering what "DFAC" is? In my day, it was the "chow hall" despite the Navy, Marines and possibly the Army's best efforts to influence the AF to call it a "mess hall."

DFAC stands for Dining Facility.

Yep, chow hall in the Marines. Wasn’t until I went into the Army did I hear DFAC. Has a nice ring to it so I didn’t mind using it over mess hall or chow hall.

Anyone wondering what "DFAC" is? In my day, it was the "chow hall" despite the Navy, Marines and possibly the Army's best efforts to influence the AF to call it a "mess hall."

DFAC stands for Dining Facility.

Called it the chow hall when I was in the USAF. Maybe DFAC after I retired, I dunno.

I don’t ever remember calling it DFAC, it was always the mess hall. But I do remember avoiding being placed on orders as “Dining Facility Officer”. Inspecting the proper disposal of garbage was not my thing.

Didn't hear DFAC either until I turned contractor and started working in war zones. It was always Chow Hall or Mess Deck. Or if I happened to get some strange on an Army/Air Force base, it would be Mess Hall.

DFAC

So that's where dfuc? comes from. Military guys staring at their food and wondering "dfuc?"

Learn something new every day! :)

When I was in the army in the 80s, mess hall and chow hall were used interchangeably.

OP.....I'd have just ****ed on the wall with them watching. When the come out all mad, I be like, " oh.....you guys are still open? Never mind....I'm good"

As far as the OP I would put that email they sent on airway and Foreflight as a second review so everyone can see what butt hurt little babies FBOs can be.

ForeFlight does not remove reviews, even if they're blatantly false. They will attempt to reach out to the peeved review leaver and put them in contact with the FBO but that's it. AirNav is much more lenient towards the FBO. What annoys me on Foreflight is that if someone leaves a "comment" on the airport instead of on the FBO is still stays forever. They should be moved to the FBO or facility they're talking about so everyone is on the same page.

Offering swag sounds like such a dumb offer that my guess is this the email is from an employee who is afraid the boss will see this and they'll get in trouble for not accommodating a customer. No comporate FBO is going to offer swag in lieu of removing a review as general policy. You might get a call from the general manager asking if they could do better, and giving you an opportunity to "update" your review, but not offering you a hat. My guess is a stupid desk or line person is afraid of getting dinged from a bad review. Many FBOs hold their employees accountable for bad reviews, especially if they are valid concerns.

Back