Favorite pizza thread

I didn't realize we had enough threads on pizza to be able to pick and choose.

I liked the thread where @SixPapaCharlie went to Chicago to get a pie from that place... you know, whatcha ma call its...

Welllllll, I like Papa Johns and Buck's for chains.

Numerous local restaurants in the B'ham that make good pies, Joe's Italian probably my favorite.

Now, my Italian grandmother made hers from scratch and Italians call it tomato pie, not pizza. Man it was about 1"+ thick but only had tomato sauce (from their 1-2 acre tomato garden) and some herbs. No peperoni. mushrooms, all that kind of stuff. Just sauce and herbs. The woman could cook and the majority of it was from scratch.

NY style is a cracker with sauce and cheese. Much prefer a good stuffed Chicago pie! Thick, heavy, covered with cheese in top, trying desperately to hold in all of the steamy goodness . . .
Nah, you gotta be able to fold it man. NY style or nothin'.

NY style is a cracker with sauce and cheese. Much prefer a good stuffed Chicago pie! Thick, heavy, covered with cheese in top, trying desperately to hold in all of the steamy goodness

If you think NY style is a cracker with sauce and cheese, then what is New Haven style? I haven't had a chance to try Chicago-style, but I'll give it a shot next time I'm in the area. I've never had good pizza outside of NY, NJ, or CT. And the only good pizza in CT is the New Haven style stuff. For some reason even through we border NY they just can't make a good NY-style pizza here. In my experience, other parts of the country don't actually know what pizza is. The stuff they call pizza is actually just some weird hybrid abomination that bears no resemblance a good pie, not even worth the calories.

It's kind of like bagels, you can't get a good one of those outside the NYC area either. Most parts of the country think a bagel is just a roll with a hole in the center and sometimes they don't even bother to put the hole in.

As for favorite pizza places, I grew up eating DuSals in Manalapan, NJ. If you ever fly into 3N6, call and uber and get a ride there. It's only 2 miles away and is (in my opinion) the best pizza in the area. Now that I'm in CT, I'll take BAR in New Haven. Mashed Potato pie with bacon, yum.

There's a place in Montgomery, AL, Sa Za's, that make a "smashed meatball" pizza. Actual meatballs that they break up for a topping, man it is so gooddddddddd!

sazapizza.com

No particular place in NY I like but I always get a buffalo chicken slice or baked ziti slice.

Just sat down to watch the Packers take down Dallas. Man I tempted to pick up the phone...

upload_2017-1-15_15-39-21.png

Just sat down to watch the Packers take down Dallas. Man I tempted to pick up the phone...]
This vendor centric supply side driven pizza supply model is inherently risky and demonstrates a callus disregard for the significant impact of any one of many dozens of possible failure modes. It would be best to embrace a re-engineered pizza supply system with 1000% reliability of satisfactory outcome.

We enjoy a p.epperoni pizza from Costco. That sucker is covered with pepperoni and cheese for $8.99

If you think NY style is a cracker with sauce and cheese, then what is New Haven style? I haven't had a chance to try Chicago-style, but I'll give it a shot next time I'm in the area. I've never had good pizza outside of NY, NJ, or CT./QUOTE]

Just be aware that a typical medium Chicago pizza from a real Chicago pizza house may weigh 4-5 lbs. lots of heavenly deliciousness!

Leonardo's in Gainesville, Fl.
Thick crust, crunchy on the bottom, good sauce, though a little sweet, and tons o' cheese.

Lou Malnati's in Chicago. Keste in NYC (napoli-style). Waldo Pizza or Minsky's at home (Kansas City).

Now, my Italian grandmother made hers from scratch and Italians call it tomato pie, not pizza.
Actually, Italians do call it "Pizza." Americans of Italian descent from NJ and NY call it "tomato pie."

Actually, Italians do call it "Pizza." Americans of Italian descent from NJ and NY call it "tomato pie."

That's where my peoples from, South Jersey.

Last edited:
If you think NY style is a cracker with sauce and cheese, then what is New Haven style? I haven't had a chance to try Chicago-style, but I'll give it a shot next time I'm in the area. I've never had good pizza outside of NY, NJ, or CT. And the only good pizza in CT is the New Haven style stuff. For some reason even through we border NY they just can't make a good NY-style pizza here. In my experience, other parts of the country don't actually know what pizza is. The stuff they call pizza is actually just some weird hybrid abomination that bears no resemblance a good pie, not even worth the calories.

It's kind of like bagels, you can't get a good one of those outside the NYC area either. Most parts of the country think a bagel is just a roll with a hole in the center and sometimes they don't even bother to put the hole in.

As for favorite pizza places, I grew up eating DuSals in Manalapan, NJ. If you ever fly into 3N6, call and uber and get a ride there. It's only 2 miles away and is (in my opinion) the best pizza in the area. Now that I'm in CT, I'll take BAR in New Haven. Mashed Potato pie with bacon, yum.
+1000.

I'm to the point now where I don't even bother ordering a pizza if I'm not in NJ or NY. I recently moved from the Jersey shore to Philadelphia and figured that we were close enough to Jersey that I should be able to get a good pie. I figured wrong. We've tried a few places, and can't even come close to a getting a good slice. Oh well.

+1000.

I'm to the point now where I don't even bother ordering a pizza if I'm not in NJ or NY. I recently moved from the Jersey shore to Philadelphia and figured that we were close enough to Jersey that I should be able to get a good pie. I figured wrong. We've tried a few places, and can't even come close to a getting a good slice. Oh well.

Same with cheese steak hoagies. South Jersey uses white cheese and across the river in Philly they put that Chees-Wiz crap on 'em! Yuck!

That's where my peoples from, NJ.
I figured. "Tomato Pie" seems to be a very NJ thing. I grew up in North Jersey amongst the Jersey Italians. I actually thought the food I was eating was pronounced the way they said it. Gabagool, Gabadeel, Mutzadell, Rigot... the list goes on. It wasn't until I actually started traveling to Italy that I realized that those words don't actually exist in Italian. It was some sort of North Jersey/New York "Eye-bonics" bastardization of the language. My Italian friends that eventually travel to "the Boot" realize the error of their ways when all the waiters look at them like they have three heads when they order a plate of "spaget wit madinad."

Same with cheese steak hoagies. South Jersey uses white cheese and across the river in Philly they put that Chees-Wiz crap on 'em! Yuck!
I agree. I hate Chees-Wiz... but not being from Philly, I have no moral compulsion to order it that way. I get mine "Provolone wit."

I figured. "Tomato Pie" seems to be a very NJ thing. I grew up in North Jersey amongst the Jersey Italians. I actually thought the food I was eating was pronounced the way they said it. Gabagool, Gabadeel, Mutzadell, Rigot... the list goes on. It wasn't until I actually started traveling to Italy that I realized that those words don't actually exist in Italian. It was some sort of North Jersey/New York "Eye-bonics" bastardization of the language. My Italian friends that eventually travel to "the Boot" realize the error of their ways when all the waiters look at them like they have three heads when they order a plate of "spaget wit madinad."

LOL like that Sopranos scene when they travel to Italy and try to fit in with the locals?

Back