Favorite Meal, ever? [N/A]

Bonanza said:
real English Fish and Chips...

I concur with the assesment. I sat on a park bench in Gourock with my mom, looking over the Firth at these islands that came starkly out of the See straight up while eating pickled onions and fresh fish n chips with malt vinegar from the takeaway place. The scenery, the food, man. :blowingkisses:

american fried fish is the most disgusting thing in the world. can't get anywhere near it after that delightful fresh crisp mmmm

darnit! now i'm hungry and there's no way i'm getting to GB in time for dinner!:no:

astanley said:
Just out of curiosity, can anyone here name the best meal they've had in their life, period? One meal, one time. You can say "my mom's fried chicken"... but tell the story behind a particular meal that makes it so special.

I'll start - Grasilli in Bologna, Italy. 3 days after I proposed to my fiancee in Venice, Italy. Food in Venice wasn't stellar (I really don't eat fish), but this meal was an epic experience. We walked around the Bolognese Duomo, the square, and the shopping district for an hour before dinner. As we turned the corner to go the restaurant, Jessie said to me "You've done nothing but make me happy, fill me with joy, and make me love you... I know, someday, this will all be a memory, but what a beautiful memory it will be!" That comment set the stage for a culinary expierence like I have never had - venison in blueberry sauce, gnocchi in a truffled cream sauce, mortadella, a rich apple pastry, and an AMAZING bottle of wine. One of the best restaurants in town, no less.

I can still taste the venison, when I think about it. And when I think about it, I think of my fiancee... and that makes it the best meal, period.

What about the rest of us?

Cheers,

-Andrew

My wife is an Exective Chef so to insure my safety I have to say the last one she served me. Each time. She own's a lot more knives than I do too!

:redface:

sere said:
My wife is an Exective Chef so to insure my safety I have to say the last one she served me. Each time. She own's a lot more knives than I do too!

:redface:

Move to the UK. I hear that some in guvmint want to declare kitchen knives as weapons and ban them.

I've had my share of great meals at "Foo-Foo" restaurants, but I gotta tell ya. A dozen Maryland "Blue Claw" crabs and an unlimited amount of beer has got to be my favorite. Anything with crab also. Crab cakes, crab soup, crab salad, crab ala king, crab dip, crab ice cream, crabcicles.....

Crab, crab, crab, crab, crab.

wsuffa said:
Move to the UK. I hear that some in guvmint want to declare kitchen knives as weapons and ban them.

Gads, it took me this long to get a set of good knives!

How do people cook with that cheap stuff? oh, well, maybe people don't cook.

i need staff.:cheerswine: but staff would hate to work for me:hairraise:

(no, no, no!!!! MORE wasabi!)

Anthony said:
I've had my share of great meals at "Foo-Foo" restaurants, but I gotta tell ya. A dozen Maryland "Blue Claw" crabs and an unlimited amount of beer has got to be my favorite. Anything with crab also. Crab cakes, crab soup, crab salad, crab ala king, crab dip, crab ice cream, crabcicles.....

Crab, crab, crab, crab, crab.

You must be going through serious withdrawal.:( You can't much farther away. I gotta say a fresh crab sandwich and a bowl of chowder at Mo's in Newport Beach, OR is a fine memory from 30 years ago. Washed down with Anchor Steam.:cheerswine:

ejensen said:
You must be going through serious withdrawal.:( You can't much farther away. I gotta say a fresh crab sandwich and a bowl of chowder at Mo's in Newport Beach, OR is a fine memory from 30 years ago. Washed down with Anchor Steam.:cheerswine:

Oh yeah. Serious withdrawal. I have been tempted to order them from the Chesepeake frozen. There are several places there that do this. So far I've resisted, as they ain't cheap, but we're going to be visiting in July so, not far off. Crab chowder and Anchor Steam sound like heaven also.

Can't beat Colorado for good Buffalo, Elk, Beef, etc. though.

Anthony said:
Oh yeah. Serious withdrawal. I have been tempted to order them from the Chesepeake frozen. There are several places there that do this. So far I've resisted, as they ain't cheap, but we're going to be visiting in July so, not far off. Crab chowder and Anchor Steam sound like heaven also.

Rent TBM-700.

Fly to Chesapeake Bay.

Fill with crabs.

Fly home.

Enjoy.

Don't laugh.... when I lived in Cincy, I flew to the DC area (DCA, maybe?), went over the bridge to the DC waterfront, procured two bushels of crabs, and flew 'em home. We had a party and feasted that night.

wsuffa said:
Rent TBM-700.

Fly to Chesapeake Bay.

Fill with crabs.

Fly home.

Enjoy.

Don't laugh.... when I lived in Cincy, I flew to the DC area (DCA, maybe?), went over the bridge to the DC waterfront, procured two bushels of crabs, and flew 'em home. We had a party and feasted that night.

Hey, I've done the same thing in my Tiger while living in PA. Its a bit of a "haul" in the Tiger for crabs from Denver, and I'm sure a TBM-700 isn't on many rental lines. :)

Let's see Mr. Amorosi, your going to need 1,000 hours time in type, your first and second born and $1MM deductible before our insurance will cover you. Plus its $750/hour to rent and no overnights. I know crabs are good, but that is a little much. :)

Anthony said:
Hey, I've done the same thing in my Tiger while living in PA. Its a bit of a "haul" in the Tiger for crabs from Denver, and I'm sure a TBM-700 isn't on many rental lines. :)

Let's see Mr. Amorosi, your going to need 1,000 hours time in type, your first and second born and $1MM deductible before our insurance will cover you. Plus its $750/hour to rent and no overnights. I know crabs are good, but that is a little much. :)

Go to BJC and take a Pilatus for a 'test' ride. Just put on your best suit.:) :)

Anthony said:

$750 an hour? Sign me up!

Probably at least $150 an hour in fuel alone.

ejensen said:
Go to BJC and take a Pilatus for a 'test' ride. Just put on your best suit.:) :)

I've avoided BJC, APA is bad enough on weekends. Let's see, I could see the progression from Tiger to Mooney M20 or 201 or even a 6 cyl. airplane. Tiger to Pilatus is an invitiation to the more money than skill path that got us the "forked tailed doctor killer" and the "I gotta have a Cirrus, even if all my time is in 172SPs" crowd. No worries, as my money level and skill level are pretty evenly low. :)

But I do have a few nice suits. Hmmmm. Do you think the salesman will believe a 3,000 mile test drive?

Some notables:

1. The pork tenderloin medallions in the Hotel Schloss-Wilhelminaberg (sp?) in Vienna. Cafe Melange and Apple Strudel at some cafe in the ring.

2. The broiled rabbit and grilled polenta at Mustard's grill in Yountville, CA (Napa wine country). The meyer lemon desert was just amazing too.

3. Commanders Palace in the Aladdin Hotel, LV. I had a gumbo that was just wonderful, my wife had a pork chop and bread pudding soufle that was out of this world. They beat Emeril's hands down in every category.

4. Mathews At the Airport in Paso Robles ( KPRB ) has the most amazing wild mushroom soup you've ever tasted. I had the best spaghetti bolognese that I have ever been served in the continental USA one afternoon there for lunch.

5. My babyback ribs. No, you can't have the recipe.

6. My wife's cherry pie, all homemade. Light crispy crust with just a hint of sweetness, cherry filling tart and flavorful. Best thing with coffee you ever had.

7. Tri tip sandwich at the Redwood Keg in Boudler Creek, CA.

8. Mexican Food in San Antonio, Texas, just about any place that is NOT a chain.

9. BBQ in Texas at just about any place that is NOT a chain.

10. Red and Green enchilada's at Rosie's Ranchito in Carlsbad NM. My mouth waters for NM red and green chile.

Man, i wish I wasn't on a diet. Sigh.

Looks like rabbit food with dressing on the side again tonight.

Anthony said:
I've avoided BJC, APA is bad enough on weekends. Let's see, I could see the progression from Tiger to Mooney M20 or 201 or even a 6 cyl. airplane. Tiger to Pilatus is an invitiation to the more money than skill path that got us the "forked tailed doctor killer" and the "I gotta have a Cirrus, even if all my time is in 172SPs" crowd. No worries, as my money level and skill level are pretty evenly low. :)

But I do have a few nice suits. Hmmmm. Do you think the salesman will believe a 3,000 mile test drive?

BJC isn't quite as bad as APA for traffic but the weather can be worse.

The salesman won't but the pilot might:dunno:

Favorite is/was, shore lunch on eagle lake in Vermillion Bay, Ont. Catch 'em, fry 'em, eat 'em.

My favorite meal? Well, it wasn't the best meal I've had, though it was pretty good, and it's probably a bit of a cliche, but my favorite meal took place in 1998. It was at a resteraunt called Cagney's in Charleston, WV. I don't remember what we ate, but it ended with me on bended knee, wondering why the hell Cathy had to be wearing a ring on the finger I was trying to put a much better ring on, shaking like a son of a gun even though I was purty near certain the answer was yes.

My all-time favorite meal was served in September of 1953 and I'll always remember it.
It was apple sauce, with a small amount of ginger ale. Mother and Dad were crying; others in white coats were observing. Terrific!

????????? I had recently emerged from a two-week coma after I tangled my bicycle with a loaded oil-tanker truck. Medical experts(en route from Maine to Boston) had said, "The kid will never make it."
(Children's Medical Center, Boston made it happen)

HR

Last edited:
My favorite meal ever is now back on shelves.

Hamburger Helper original with Brussels Sprouts! Yummie!

HH is not bad. I make it with ground turkey or TVP and it is still real good.

It's no corned beef (wink to you Stan) but still a hearty meal.

I should point out - to any HH fans out there:

Panburger Partner is cheaper and even better tasting. I got it in Havasu, but can't find it here. Good stuff.

Corned beef minus the cabbage is delicious. Add the cabbage and it tastes like garbage. eww...

Panburger Partner is cheaper and even better tasting. I got it in Havasu, but can't find it here. Good stuff.
Never heard of that stuff. Is that a store brand?

Corned beef minus the cabbage is delicious. Add the cabbage and it tastes like garbage. eww...[/quote]To each his own but I like the cabbage a lot

Never heard of that stuff. Is that a store brand?

I can't remember who made it. It was available at Basha's grocery stores in Havasu, but it is a Food Club brand or something like that....I bet its available elsewhere as well.

Obvious ripoff name tho...

Any ham and cheese sandwich in France along with a bottle of red and nice day to sit in the park and eat and drink it!

I have a little tradition when I fly into GVA or ZRH and I'm taking a couple of days vacation at the start of the trip.

First stop after getting a rental car is to stop at the nearby Migros or Coop and pick up the following:

2 bottles of wine
6-pack of mineral water
Wine glasses (pack of 4)
Hunks of cheese
Bagette
Deli ham
Sharp knife
A couple of dark chocolate bars (preferably male (nut) or cross-gender (fruit))

That's lunch for a couple of days. Hop back in car and find some nice, by-the-side-of-a-lake area to pick-a-nick.

Scott how the hell did you find this thread. You must have been bored today.
Stan was getting hungry from reading the corned beef thread and I decided to have a little fun with him. Knowing how much we have spoken of food here all I did was launch a search and responded to a few threads that looked appetizing. :D:D:D

Trust me today was the day of the long knives and I needed something to take my mind off of the utter devastation that has been let loose. Let us jsut say I am one of two survivors today but there is still tomorrow!

my favorite meal is a Woody's Pizza after a long period of not being at home. yum!

Trust me today was the day of the long knives and I needed something to take my mind off of the utter devastation that has been let loose. Let us jsut say I am one of two survivors today but there is still tomorrow!

That doesn't sound good. This have anything to do with spliting the company into two parts?

I can't pick just one; I've eaten plenty of food I'm too unsophisticated to really appreciate, that's for sure.
But if there had to be one, it'd be one of those simple meals after an honest day's work (or play) when I was really hungry... and shared it with somebody. :)

Mayfield Moose Tracks Ice Cream.

Does that count as a meal? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back