Favorite coffee

Someone mentioned 14-15 days before the quality degrades. I’m sure most have been sitting on the shelves longer than that in the store??

Someone mentioned 14-15 days before the quality degrades. I’m sure most have been sitting on the shelves longer than that in the store??
Turnover on bagged bean coffee is faster than that in the stores around here. Still, I am never more than three days out. Green beans last relatively indefinitely. They don't get volatile until you roast them.

Turnover on bagged bean coffee is faster than that in the stores around here. Still, I am never more than three days out. Green beans last relatively indefinitely. They don't get volatile until you roast them.

But then you should use the entire bag within 2 weeks? I’ve bought like a couple different flavors to have options and they don’t get used up right away.

The trick to avoiding the degradation is to start with bad coffee. :) Seriously, if month-old coffee tastes good to you by all means drink it. Too many people sweat too much detail over coffee and still end up with something that tastes like hot straw, or worse, a shot of bitter lemon juice.

Nauga,
who knows what he likes and doesn't care if you don't

What are you using to roast? I did the air popper for a few goes and my coffee consumption exceeded my patience.

What are you using to roast? I did the air popper for a few goes and my coffee consumption exceeded my patience.

I started with the PopperyII but you are right, it's 2 ounces is near pointless. I moved up to the iRoast (commonly called the iRoar) which I think did 5ounces but it still is less than optimal (just a larger version of the corn popper). Margy finally bought me a HotTop for my birthday a bunch of years ago. It pretty effortlessly allows me to do a half a pound at a time.

drum-roll-please-jpg.103123

I started with a teeny little FreshRoast but outgrew it pretty quickly. I've used this Kyle drum in a dedicated propane grill for about 25 years (original drum, second or third grill, I forget). I roasted ~5lb of Ugandan beans today in just over 20 minutes. I'll brew with them tomorrow but it usually takes a day or two of outgassing for beans to be their best. Note that 5lb of green beans does not result in 5lb of roasted beans as it loses moisture and chaff in the process.

Nauga,
wired for sound

drum-roll-please-jpg.103123

I started with a teeny little FreshRoast but outgrew it pretty quickly. I've used this Kyle drum in a dedicated propane grill for about 25 years (original drum, second or third grill, I forget). I roasted ~5lb of Ugandan beans today in just over 20 minutes. I'll brew with them tomorrow but it usually takes a day or two of outgassing for beans to be their best. Note that 5lb of green beans does not result in 5lb of roasted beans as it loses moisture and chaff in the process.

Nauga,
wired for sound
Where at in Uganda? I had brought some beans home from Sipi Falls. Wishing for more

Where at in Uganda? I had brought some beans home from Sipi Falls. Wishing for more
Bugisu is as close as I can get you without the label in front of me. I bought it because the flavor profile was close to what I like, not because I actually know anything about the area :) . I had a couple of shots today and it was very good. It will probably be better tomorrow.

Nauga,
and a respectable way to do shots in the morning

I have really liked Starbuck's Yukon blend, at least as far as commercial grade coffee is concerned. That said, I've been experimenting more with locally roasted coffee's, and they're hit and miss on brew quality. I stopped into Whole Foods last night and picked up a bag of their 365 Pacific Rim blend. Brewed the first cup today and it's surprisingly very good. It was only $7.99 for a 10oz bag, so not terribly priced. It's a very smooth roast and certainly has some dark chocolate tasting notes. I will be buying this again and recommend it!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.30.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.30.21 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Ethiopian, any variety, bought green in 5lb bags and roasted between full city and french on the back patio.

Nauga,
who still drinks swill but likes the good stuff better

100% Kona usually from Lions Gate coffee ranch (we've visited there with the owner). I roast the beans myself about a half a pound at a time so we're never more than a few days from fresh.

Yessir ....IMHO, brewing in a TechniVorm Moccamaster steps up any coffee a notch or two.
I didn't carefully read the entire thread, but I did see how some where roasting.

I'm a roaster too. Here's my DIY roaster: http://www.demonick.com/coffee/
It'll handle 2/3 of a pound green beans.
Hand grind with a burr grinder immediately before using my Technivorm Moccamaster.

How are you all currently roasting your beans and where are you getting them? I'm a regular Sweet Maria's customer.

The absolute BEST way to brew coffee is a vacuum pot also called a siphon pot. They were all the rage in the 1940s and 50s. You will see them often in the era's movies. I use one of my two dozen vacpots on occasion (went on an eBay binge 20 years ago), but they do require cleaning between brews.

Here's a photo of the quintessential vacpot, the Silex. https://www.whatnot.com/listing/TGlzdGluZ05vZGU6MjAyNjU3OTkx
They come in all sizes. I prefer the cloth filter to the glass. When I was buying on eBay they were 20 bucks. Still some on eBay.

Best coffee... the cup that is waiting for me when I wake up.

My coffee years started when it was referred to as LJ, as long as it was hot and was not artificially flavored... I'm good. And if the LJ wasn't hot, then the Lt was ****ed...

Not a connoisseur, but tastes pretty good to me.

I’m cheap. McCafé does the job for me.

Since Sam's Club started offering free shipping for Plus members with no minnimum, I rarely buy coffee anywhere else. Their online coffee selection is very good, as are the prices. If you drink a lot of coffee, that alone might pay for the membership. (The selection in their physical clubs is much smaller).
Thanks for that. We’ve been looking for a good source for Caribou whole bean since our local Sam’s quit carrying it. Didn’t think to check the app to see if they sold it that way.

I have one of those Breville grinder/espresso/frothing machines and Dunkin' Donuts full beans work amazing. Two Brothers has excellent beans too.

Yessir ....IMHO, brewing in a TechniVorm Moccamaster steps up any coffee a notch or two.

Just to pick up on that. I don't have any of their fancy machines that allow you to adjust temps and contact time, but I did get their 'Cup One' machine that does exactly what the name says. It makes 1 10oz cup using a little #1 filter.
I find that doe me personally, 'freshly brewed' and 'hot' are the key features of a cup of coffee. I use different store bought coffees and store them in the freezer. Gevalia, Dunkin and occasionally a bag from a local roaster.

Much of the coffee snootery reminds me of the HiFi enthusiasts of the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
The only coffee I can drink is an espresso martoonie.

still 100% coffee-free. think I'm on 6 years now. it's not that bad, you get used to it after about 5 years.

still 100% coffee-free. think I'm on 6 years now. it's not that bad, you get used to it after about 5 years.
Why would you want to work to get used to not having something that is good for you and makes you feel better?
SMH.

I guess that even though this is a resurrected ancient thread, it is still relevant.

There is a local health food store that sells about a dozen types of beans in bulk, and they have a grinder. I do own a grinder but it is easier to use theirs. No cleaning. I was a bit concerned about how often they cleaned theirs, but one time their bulk dispenser was out and I asked them to refill it. They said they could not refill it until they cleaned it. And they said they clean the grinder every morning. :)

I have found a dark roast with a hint of chocolate that I love. I go about once a week and grind just enough to get me to the next week.

I guess that even though this is a resurrected ancient thread, it is still relevant.

There is a local health food store that sells about a dozen types of beans in bulk, and they have a grinder. I do own a grinder but it is easier to use theirs. No cleaning. I was a bit concerned about how often they cleaned theirs, but one time their bulk dispenser was out and I asked them to refill it. They said they could not refill it until they cleaned it. And they said they clean the grinder every morning. :)

I have found a dark roast with a hint of chocolate that I love. I go about once a week and grind just enough to get me to the next week.
That sounds good. Before I bought my own grinder, I used to use Whole Food's or just buy pre-ground coffee. It might just be in my head, but the coffee tastes better when I grind it right before brewing it fresh.

That sounds good. Before I bought my own grinder, I used to use Whole Food's or just buy pre-ground coffee. It might just be in my head, but the coffee tastes better when I grind it right before brewing it fresh.
No, it's not just in your head. Fresh ground does taste better.
But grinding coffee every morning is, well, a grind.
It's much easier and not really much less tasty to grind a bag when you buy it. Especially since the store is very convenient. I pass it almost every time I go anywhere.

No, it's not just in your head. Fresh ground does taste better.
But grinding coffee every morning is, well, a grind.
One reason we have a nice Jura automatic machine. Put in beans and water, get really good coffee. Good enough that we've been using automatic espresso machines since about 2007 or 8 and have worn out a couple.

Ewwww. Mountain Dew is bad for you. I suggest anyone drinking that garbage switch to coffee.
it is sugar that is bad for you … drink your coffee with tons of typical extra sweet creamer and it is going to be as bad as Mountain Dew.

Ewwww. Mountain Dew is bad for you. I suggest anyone drinking that garbage switch to coffee.

it was just a funny reference to a movie line that seems to have sailed over some heads

Back