Favorite canned food?

Re: Favorite canned food? Urp!

Nah, guys, none of that stuff. Can? Think beer! If your definition of canned is a loose one, then think bottles of beer. And if your definition is really loose, think kegs of beer :cheers:

I said beer doesn't count!;)

But I do have a good Chili dip recipe for everyone. Take one can of Chili and 16 ounces of cream cheese. Heat slowly in a pot, so you don't burn the cream cheese. Add nacho chips, voila! You have a yummy dip.

Thanks for all of the responses, I think I'm going to make some chili now!:goofy:
( Cattle Drive Chili, by the way )

Thanks for all of the responses, I think I'm going to make some chili now!

Earlier, I mentioned Her Majesty's chili. One time, during a Fort Lauderdale telephone call she referenced sending me some book. "Oh; no chili?" I mused. "Can't do it before your birthday," she responded. Quite consistent with my birthday a heavy package arrived, Priority Mail. Inside was a large container of her chili which was frozen when it left Florida, but in good condition upon arrival.

HR

But I do have a good Chili dip recipe for everyone. Take one can of Chili and 16 ounces of cream cheese. Heat slowly in a pot, so you don't burn the cream cheese. Add nacho chips, voila! You have a yummy dip.

Thanks for all of the responses, I think I'm going to make some chili now!:goofy:
Ah, but it should count :yes:

Here's why...

Back in the middle ages the monks started brewing beer. The reason was that they had lots of fast days when all they could imbibe was wine. Some monk figured out that there was nothing to prohibit drinking a brew on a fast day, and, as it turns out, beer is actually pretty nutritious. It evolved into such a big deal in the monestaries that I read one account that said that the monks were alloted five measures of beer a day. It is unclear whether a measure was the same as the current Bavarian Mass (one liter) or whether it might have been larger than that.

Therefore, beer counts as canned food :D

Ah, but it should count :yes:

Here's why...

Back in the middle ages the monks started brewing beer. The reason was that they had lots of fast days when all they could imbibe was wine. Some monk figured out that there was nothing to prohibit drinking a brew on a fast day, and, as it turns out, beer is actually pretty nutritious. It evolved into such a big deal in the monestaries that I read one account that said that the monks were alloted five measures of beer a day. It is unclear whether a measure was the same as the current Bavarian Mass (one liter) or whether it might have been larger than that.

Therefore, beer counts as canned food :D

Spoken like a true Frenchman Bob! Labat Blue?

Chef Boy Ardee mini ravioli for me.

Ugh, my wife LOVES that stuff. Tastes like salt in a can to me. :dunno:

I don't eat much canned stuff, but I have at times whipped up saddle bag dinner while out on the motorcycle far away from civilization.

Saddle bag dinner = 2 packs rammen noodles, drained, seasoned with one packet of faux chicken flavor, add can of baby peas, and canned chicken or tuna. Instant semi-decent one pot dinner whipped up on the whisperlight.

vienna sausage.......

.........when i was a kid. probably the only canned food i eat these days is baked beans. hard to beat bushs original recipe. fwiw, tc

Old Original Bookbinders Snapper Soup.

Dang you Anthony now I have to run out to Acme and buy a can I love that stuff. Unitl you said it I was going to say Corned Beef Hash. I love it fried with eggs over easy. Haven't had it for years because of course it will kill ya but so will anything canned.

Dang you Anthony now I have to run out to Acme and buy a can I love that stuff. Unitl you said it I was going to say Corned Beef Hash. I love it fried with eggs over easy. Haven't had it for years because of course it will kill ya but so will anything canned.

Ha! Yeah its a Philly thing. Corned Beef Hash? Kind of like canned Scrapple, huh.

Wolfgang Puck's hearty lentil with vegetables is not bad especially when simmered with leftover venison and lots of fresh ground pepper. Can be nicely complimented by combining with his minnestrone soup too.

Ugh, my wife LOVES that stuff. Tastes like salt in a can to me. :dunno:

I don't eat much canned stuff, but I have at times whipped up saddle bag dinner while out on the motorcycle far away from civilization.

Saddle bag dinner = 2 packs rammen noodles, drained, seasoned with one packet of faux chicken flavor, add can of baby peas, and canned chicken or tuna. Instant semi-decent one pot dinner whipped up on the whisperlight.

I write on the can in BIG BLACK MARKER, "Don't Eat", otherwise I buy 5 cans and my kids wolf it down and I don't get any. LOL

The only "food" I eat canned is mushrooms, pineapples, and mandarin oranges. I used some soups as a base, but I'm certainly not going to eat cream of anything soup by itself.

I'm with you, canned food is basically for modifying or as a modifier with the exception of LaSeure canned Asparagus and baby peas, but they aren't much of a meal in and of themselves either.

Tri,

It's super duper easy. Cube up 1 stick of Velveeta per can / 12oz of chili. Mix both, heat in the microwave until you hit the desired consistency. Add Tabasco and similar items until you find the flavor you like. Serve with the cheapest, closest-to-donkey-urine beer you can find.

Mmmm, cheap eats.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who finds it funny that he goes on and on about bad wine but will gladly eat Cheez-Whiz
I tried making it and added canned tomatoes and chillies. It was actualy pretty good despite being a little soupy.

I tried making it and added canned tomatoes and chillies. It was actualy pretty good despite being a little soupy.

Tristan, try using a can of Rotel, if available where you're at, and drain the juice before adding to the cheese and chili. Rotel is essentially canned tomatoes and chilies.

B&M Baked Beans, and mushrooms would have to be my staples I would say.

Haven't had SPAM in a long time, I might have to revisit that. :)

Tristan, try using a can of Rotel, if available where you're at, and drain the juice before adding to the cheese and chili. Rotel is essentially canned tomatoes and chilies.

Took the words out of my mouth.

If you are still having issues with it being a bit watery for your taste, you can always drain the Rotel, drop it in a pot and simmer for a small period of time to cook off and condense flavors. Barring that, you can always add more Velveeta :D

Cheers,

-Andrew

Ha! Yeah its a Philly thing. Corned Beef Hash? Kind of like canned Scrapple, huh.

No way man, no way. Scrapple is "Dutch Pate", Hash is "Delicious Irish Vomit"

Cheers,

-Andrew
mostly Irish, loves both

See what you did? The supermarket had the Rotel cans in a special display with oyster crackers. I picked up a couple. I've never tried it.

I use the Red Gold diced tomatoes with chiles and/or onions. ...but I always add onions. Can't never have too many onions. Sweet onions.

Thats what I used, I attempted to drain it but I think the trick is you just have to let it sit. I tried that and it worked out.

See what you did? The supermarket had the Rotel cans in a special display with oyster crackers. I picked up a couple. I've never tried it.

I use the Red Gold diced tomatoes with chiles and/or onions. ...but I always add onions. Can't never have too many onions. Sweet onions.

LOL, I think you'll enjoy the Rotel.
As for sweet onions...big 'ol vidalia onions rule the roost!

Has anyone ever tried putting Velveeta with chilli as a chip dip? That looks really good and I'd kinda like to know how to do it.

Yes Faboulous!

And about the Best Canned Chilli, I use to say there wasn't any... then I tried the Cambles Chunky Roadhouse chilli. (also aviable in Firehouse for a little more kick) For canned chilli, it's really good.

Missa

Back