Favorite canned food?

Andy Greever

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wody
A little bored this morning, so I thought I'd pose this question.

What is your favorite canned food? (beer doesn't count) :no:

If you were a castaway on a deserted island and could only have only one choice, what would it be?

I would take Chili! :yes:

In fact I'm eating some for breakfast right now! LOL

Chef Boy Ardee mini ravioli for me.

My grandmother 'cans' her AWESOME vegetable soup with all 'natural' ingredients from their garden. That would probably by my #1 pick. Also, my aunt 'cans' pickled okra good enough to make you slap your mama.

If I had access to a fire, the answer is easy.

Spam. Fried Spam is amazing.

Can we change "canned" to prepackaged? Her majesty(the former) was here from Fort Lauderdale for last Thanksgiving. I'm still drawing from the freezer the full plastic containers she stockpiled, filled with the best chili I've ever tasted. She hasn't lost the touch. Trouble is, each "brick" takes about a day to thaw.

HR

A little bored this morning, so I thought I'd pose this question.

If you were a castaway on a deserted island and could only have only one choice, what would it be?

I would take Chili! :yes:

In fact I'm eating some for breakfast right now! LOL

OK, new thread branch: WHICH brand of Chili?

I like Chili Man and Staggs and Starline Cinci Chili if I can get it. I'll take Hormel in a pinch.

I'll make chili mac with ditalli, shells or other pasta. I almost always doctor it up with a can of Red Gold tomatoes, and top with onions and shredded cheese .

Last edited:
I have to agree with Nick. Spam is a staple out at hunting camp. I also have several cans in my "survival pack" here at the house.
For those who haven't enjoyed the flavor, slice a piece and put it on the grill (George Foreman machine will work in a pinch) for a few minutes per side and dress it the way you would your favorite hamburger.
It ain't gourmet eating but it will fill that void in your mid section.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Mmmmm. It always gives me a warm feeling inside...

...which I'm convinced comes from my arteries clogging and exploding and covering my innards with warm blood. :rofl: Nothing like some good ol' fatty stew.

Spaghettios and refried beans- straight up, out of the can, opened with a can opener that doesn't leave one of those pansied fold over safety cuts.

Barb

Thanks Barb, forgot about this one...

SpaghettiOs with Meatballs - heated, thank you.

Also, Hominy - fry it up with lots of butter and salt.
(Haven't had that in at least 20 years.)

Oh, and canned pineapple chunks.
(Especially good when nauseated - they're not so bad the second time around. [Hmm... looks like a new meaning for the term "blowing chunks" - sorry! :vomit:])

The only "food" I eat canned is mushrooms, pineapples, and mandarin oranges. I used some soups as a base, but I'm certainly not going to eat cream of anything soup by itself.

Oh, and canned pineapple chunks.
(Especially good when nauseated - they're not so bad the second time around.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be sick again. I've always gone with the fighter pilot method (bananas) and milk. Works pretty well.

B&M Boston Baked Beans... only better bean is my grandma's beans.

I can eat them cold, hot, tepid, or nearly frozen. And you have to eat the back fat...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hey, Andrew:

I almost listed the same B&M. Is there any better aroma, when wheeling out of Portland to pick up #295 North? When one passes the B&M factory(now owned by Underwood) if the wind is right the "home-cooking" flavor just wafts right toward the Franklin Arterial which one's vehicle just by-passed.
It's not as evident as it used to be; something about EPA regulations. Yup: guvmink screwing-up another pleasure.

HR

I have to agree with Nick. Spam is a staple out at hunting camp. I also have several cans in my "survival pack" here at the house.
If all I found was spam in my survival pack I would just administer the coup de grace right then and there ... :vomit:

If I had access to a fire, the answer is easy.

Spam. Fried Spam is amazing.

me too
inside1-spam.jpg

I'll cook it in a little terriyaki and then put it on a bed of sushi rice tied with a ribbon of nori. YUM!!

Hey, Andrew:

I almost listed the same B&M. Is there any better aroma, when wheeling out of Portland to pick up #295 North? When one passes the B&M factory(now owned by Underwood) if the wind is right the "home-cooking" flavor just wafts right toward the Franklin Arterial which one's vehicle just by-passed.
It's not as evident as it used to be; something about EPA regulations. Yup: guvmink screwing-up another pleasure.

HR

HR,

Do I have memories!!! There were three epic moments on every trip up to BHB as a kid:

+ Yelling at the "Welcome to Maine!" sign on the I-95 bridge
+ The smell of the B&B factory filling the car
+ The smell of the tide as you cross onto MDI

I buy only B&M beans at home, almost always in the glass jar...

Mmmm, now I want some brown bread.

Cheers,

-Andrew

OK, new thread branch: WHICH brand of Chili?

I like Chili Man and Staggs and Starline Cinci Chili if I can get it. I'll take Hormel in a pinch.

I'll make chili mac with ditalli, shells or other pasta. I almost always doctor it up with a can of Red Gold tomatoes, and top with onions and shredded cheese .

There is only one brand of chili in my house: what I make myself. Chili from a can?!?! That's almost as bad as pre-made, crustless, frozen PB&J.

Cheers,

-Andrew

There is only one brand of chili in my house: what I make myself. Chili from a can?!?! That's almost as bad as pre-made, crustless, frozen PB&J.

Amen to that. Hormel? :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: I have never had good chili from a can. The closest thing to "good" chili in a can is Manwich Chili Fixin's which is the beans and all the other stuff, you still make the meat (and spice it!) yourself.

Albacore Tuna in water.
Tuna boat cassarole, tuna salad, tuna melts, and straight up out of the can.

I agree with the good old fashioned vegetable soup with fresh veggies from the garden. Man, I'd eat that all day.

But if we have to go with commercialized stuff... I second tuna, and it doesn't necessarily have to be albacore. Tuna == yum.

Re: Favorite canned food? Urp!

Nah, guys, none of that stuff. Can? Think beer! If your definition of canned is a loose one, then think bottles of beer. And if your definition is really loose, think kegs of beer :cheers:

Albacore Tuna in water.
Tuna boat cassarole, tuna salad, tuna melts, and straight up out of the can.

I agree, but you did hear there's so much mercury in Albacore we may have to watch ourselves near the big magnets at scrap metal yards?

I'll toss a can of tuna on a salad for my diet lunch.

Okay lets see. My favorite canned food is probably Chef borardee's lasagna or spegetti and meat balls! ...and yes, NOT heated! Or maybe beenie weenies Not heated! *as everyone says eeewww* I grew up camping, it tastes burnt heated. I'll eat chicken noodle soup and the nicer soups heated though deffinitly.

Not sure about the chilly thing. Has anyone ever tried putting Velveeta with chilli as a chip dip? That looks really good and I'd kinda like to know how to do it.

Y'all are sick. All of these choices are basically meat-type byproducts that shouldn't be fed to a dog.

I'm thinking cherry pie filling is the way to go!!

Marinated artichokes or olives. Not sure that is what I would want to survive on a desert island with though.

What and you think those are REAL cherries? Boy they have you fooled! hehe

Okay lets see. My favorite canned food is probably Chef borardee's lasagna or spegetti and meat balls! ...and yes, NOT heated! Or maybe beenie weenies Not heated! *as everyone says eeewww* I grew up camping, it tastes burnt heated. I'll eat chicken noodle soup and the nicer soups heated though deffinitly.

Not sure about the chilly thing. Has anyone ever tried putting Velveeta with chilli as a chip dip? That looks really good and I'd kinda like to know how to do it.

Tri,

It's super duper easy. Cube up 1 stick of Velveeta per can / 12oz of chili. Mix both, heat in the microwave until you hit the desired consistency. Add Tabasco and similar items until you find the flavor you like. Serve with the cheapest, closest-to-donkey-urine beer you can find.

Mmmm, cheap eats.

Cheers,

-Andrew
who finds it funny that he goes on and on about bad wine but will gladly eat Cheez-Whiz

Y'all are sick. All of these choices are basically meat-type byproducts that shouldn't be fed to a dog.

Oh, sorry, Ken. I thought you wrote, "a hog."

Meet(or is that, meat) Rudy Olson, my cousin's Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pig house pet, back in Cushing.

HR

Attachments

• Rudy Olson.jpg
    Rudy Olson.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8
Old Original Bookbinders Snapper Soup.

Oh, sorry, Ken. I thought you wrote, "a hog."

Meet(or is that, meat) Rudy Olson, my cousin's Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pig house pet, back in Cushing.

HR
My father in law used to have two peccary pigs. He named them Gregory (as in Peck) and Elizabeth (as in Taylor).

Ultimately, they were delicious.

Of course, he had that kind of sense of humor. They had about 50 head of cattle, and one of them he named Steaks, and she got an extra good diet. You can imagine. "What's for dinner?" "Steaks." Ah, life on a farm.

Back