Favorite Band?

LandSickness

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
fri tale
Perusing the "Favorite Song" thread, I thought to myself, what we need is a thread celebrating our favorite bands.

(ahem)MUSIC BEGINS AND ENDS WITH STEELY DAN. (exhibit A)

Please list your "runners up"....

Last edited:
Brad Paisley
Led Zepplin
The Who
Van Halen
Pink Floyd
The London Symphony playing LZ, The Who, and PF.
Alabama.

Chicago
VanHalen
Eagles
The Who
The Big Phat Band
Spyro Gyra
Yellow jackets
The Rippingtons
University of Wisconsin Marching Band

Had a girlfriend (back when the ALBUM was new) that thought Steely Dan's "AJA" was the be all/do all. I think we woke up to it every Saturday morning. To this day - If I know that any track from AJA is going to be played, I make sure the key to the C4 locker is hidden, along with all the magazines for the HK91

Had a girlfriend (back when the ALBUM was new) that thought Steely Dan's "AJA" was the be all/do all. I think we woke up to it every Saturday morning. To this day - If I know that any track from AJA is going to be played, I make sure the key to the C4 locker is hidden, along with all the magazines for the HK91

:rofl: hilarious....

I actually drove from St. Louis, Missouri to Omaha Nebraska once with only a Steely Dan "Aja" cassette. It's good but not that good.
My favorite is "The Royal Scam".

I went out a couple of times with a girl that had a David Bowie shrine in her room (she even called it that). Something wasn't quite right with her. Nothing wrong with David Bowie, but still...

Funny thing about Steely Dan is that whenever I listen to them (or Donald Fagen for that matter) I automatically start thinking of L-1011s and 727s. Obviously some childhood association.....my parents listened to ALOT of their music around the same time I was getting to make my first airline flights as a kid.

Ralph and Carter Stanley
Steve Martin and steep Canyon Rangers
Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder
Any band Doc Watson played with.

Funny thing about Steely Dan is that whenever I listen to them (or Donald Fagen for that matter) I automatically start thinking of L-1011s and 727s. Obviously some childhood association.....my parents listened to ALOT of their music around the same time I was getting to make my first airline flights as a kid.

There is a prog rock group called El-Ten-Eleven and their most popular albums cover art is a 727 taking off.....their music has always reminded me of the hustle and bustle of flying on a busy day. Check them out.

MANY great choices, but no one mentioned Amazing Rhythm Aces. C'mon, people! :(

One Direction.

Way too many old farts on here that don't know what it's like to be 20 in 2013. :D

Lots of front porch bands listed. All good...the first million times I heard them.

A few back forty groups worth mentioning...good stuff that hasn't been played on the radio until you're sick of 'em.

Tommy Bolin
Jeff Beck
T Rex
Be Bop Deluxe
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carolina Chocolate Drops
Jeff & Vida
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Robert Randolph & The Family Band
String Cheese Incident
Tommy Guerrero
Canned Heat
Stephen Stills (by himself)
Tab Benoit
Ween
Bruce Cockburn
Doucette
Keller & The Keels
Keb Mo
Leon Redbone
KT Tunstall
RL Burnside
Bela Fleck
Victor Wooten
The White Stripes
North Mississippi Allstars

Oh, and so many more...

Last edited:
Ralph and Carter Stanley
Steve Martin and steep Canyon Rangers
Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder
Any band Doc Watson played with.

This too. I have This and love it.
ydyme4a9.jpg

Hard to have a favorite. It's like asking if you prefer one cutie over another when they both look great. And there are a lot of one-hit wonders who had an awesome song, but just one.

And people have different tastes. Just the other day my wife mentioned she really liked Steely Dan. I've always hated their music. I did like Fagan's Heavy Metal though.

I never liked The Eagles except for the Hotel California LP. Same for Willie Nelson with The Red Headed Stranger and Huey Lewis with Sports.

I've always thought Madonna was a musical genius.

Others I really like:

Elton John
Billy Joel
AC/DC
Sara Evans
Toby Keith
Brad Paisley
Kenny Chesney
Natalie Merchant

Back