Fatal, S. Lakeland

Appears to have gone straight in ... :(

interesting. this is a sport aircraft. ..

That would be my guess. I think it’s EAB, but I don’t know the tail number yet.
N622PC - appears to be what's on the tail in the photo from the attached news story ...

That would be my guess. I think it’s EAB, but I don’t know the tail number yet.

"Sheriff Grady Judd said pilot Arthur Canning, 76, of Lakeland was beginning to take off at the airstrip when the engine began to sputter.

“When the engine sputtered, he apparently stalled and crashed directly into the ground, and he immediately died as a result of horrific traumatic injuries from the crash,” Judd said.

“He was up and into the ground in seconds,” he later added."

Looks like a new build. Kit plane registered in Oct 2023. Type is a glider; guessing it’s a self-launching glider?

"Sheriff Grady Judd said pilot Arthur Canning, 76, of Lakeland was beginning to take off at the airstrip when the engine began to sputter.

“When the engine sputtered, he apparently stalled and crashed directly into the ground, and he immediately died as a result of horrific traumatic injuries from the crash,” Judd said.

“He was up and into the ground in seconds,” he later added."

Oh, that sucks. Damn.

From the news article:

1712083843581.png

And from Yahoo news:

1712083959094.png

BTW, Grady Judd is the source of the all-time greatest quote in lawman history:

Accused of killing deputy, suspect shot 68 times

“That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

The coroner listed the cause of death as “natural causes.” When the press asked about it, he said, “When somebody is shot that many times, they’re naturally going to die.”

It is reported now that the builder/pilot flew the plane for the first time last week. Video story here:

Looks like Mr. Canning got his PP in Sep 2022.

EDIT - might just be the glider rating. Press conference said he’d been flying for 10 years.

Last edited:
Built by the pilot. First flight was only last weekend. EAB Motorglider.

Back