Fatal ICON A5 crash

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by alanbreck, May 8, 2017.

1. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grundle Brush
    I've flown a Cherokee 6 that used to be in floats!

2. mondtster

mondtster Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    mondtster
    As far as I know, there were factory 172 float planes too. There are also 150s on floats.

So back to my previous statement, compare apples to apples. The 172 needs to be on floats to have a more accurate comparison.

James331 and Palmpilot like this.
  3. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Insurance data does not support the concept that amphibs are 'safer' than land-planes.

James331 likes this.
  4. TexDeuce

TexDeuce Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    TexDeuce
    ^^^^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. You get it. Good post.

James - I really don't need to respond as you are arguing against points I am not making so there is not much to be said on that. I don't disagree with what you are saying but it is a tangent not relevant to the point I am making. The seperate point being "intended use" and the "marketing". In which I agree with the points you are making. Nothing you said has been off base other than it not addressing the point I am making.

However, you are assuming everyone that owns one will use it as a jet ski (they might). But probably not all. This entire premise I am arguing assumes the plane is flown in the same way. So compared to a Cessna we would compare it to flying an A5 like you would the Cessna. No rule says you have to do water landings in it.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    James331 likes this.
  5. Rotero

Rotero Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rotero
    Remember what was the exact question that TexDeuce answered to him self wih A5?
    Well, my answer to same question is C172 or PA28. Nothing to do with amphibian mission.

(For god's sake, yes, both have 4 seats. Please: A. Remove the back seats. B. Label them "INOP" or C. Dont use them if you dont want or need it. )

6. mondtster

mondtster Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    mondtster
    I don't think anyone with a little seaplane time would argue that point! :)

In just the time that this thread has been running its course I can think of one amphibian incident where the plane got flipped due to forgetting to put the wheels up. That's probably a good part of the reason why amphibious airplanes are hard to insure, as James already alluded to.

7. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Some of the flying boats are tolerant to leaving the gear down. Still, it's a plane, not a boat. Flotsam, logs, boats all this other stuff on the water along with bad weather while tied down on the dock all claim floatplanes. The idea that 'you have all those lakes as emergency landing sites' addresses a very uncommon cause for aircraft accidents.
    History has also shown that for every stall or spin resistant design, there is a pilot capable of finding the niche in the envelope where that is not true.

mondtster likes this.
  8. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Agreed, kinda ;)

I wish insurance thought like you, even if in promise to never go on water, even if based on the time of year all the water is froze, if my skywagon has its amphibs on my rates are WAAAAAY more, and that ain't some AOPA insurance ether.

And unlike my skywagon, that A5 is, and always will be, a amphib.

Most of the places amphibs/float planes get in trouble most of those saftey features don't mean jack.

But I do get your point, air work wise it's probably quite safe, sadly though most accidents are takeoff and landing, and take off and landing in a amphib is probably the most risky airframe for take offs and landings.

mondtster and TexDeuce like this.
  9. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    So with all this doom and gloom, this is a good point to add, amphib flying is BY FAR the most fun you can have in a airplane, like it's not even a debate, amphibs are 1 part freedom and 1 part aviation, if you ever get the chance to fly a amphib, or even straight floats, it will ruin the rest of aviation for you as it blows everything else away!!

Attached Files:

Zeldman, kayoh190 and TexDeuce like this.
  10. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Still can't legally land on public water here on CO because our legislature is made up of morons. Yay. 49 out of 50 States allow it, and we get to continue to look like idiots until the next legislative session where rational people get to try again.

11. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    How the hell do you fly it sitting out there on the float?! ;)

James331 likes this.
  12. Joshuajayg

Joshuajayg Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Joshua
    With an AOA.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

GRG55 and denverpilot like this.
  13. coloradobluesky

coloradobluesky En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    coloradobluesky
    I thought Colorado has a reservoir where it was legal to land a Seaplane on down by Rocky Ford, east of Pueblo on Lake Meredith. I know they had a fly in there May 20, 2017.

https://hangar.aopa.org/events/item/50/247

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  14. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Private lake. The organizers are pretty much purposely taunting the stupid State legislature by holding it there. Or more marketing-esque: "Showing [the idiots] it can be done safely."

They're having to land the aircraft at an airport and have the State invasive species boating inspections done, so it's pretty much an amphibious only event right now. No true float-only aircraft.

15. Tantalum

Tantalum Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Is anyone else unable to get on Icon's website? After some point yesterday afternoon I wasn't able to get on their website anymore... I've been periodically checking to see if they would have any updates or news

16. ElPaso Pilot

ElPaso Pilot Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ElPaso Pilot
    Must be user error.

Works for me.

17. Tantalum

Tantalum Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot