Faster radar, better info

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Did not see in a search.

Horus radar (combines phased array and dual polarization)
Promises to be a level up from Nexrad.

If so, I wonder how long til it would be widely avaiable in cockpits.
Could current ads-b handle that much data?

I would guess that ADS-B can not handle significantly more data (the radar display now is simplified, for example)...but...would it even be necessary? Sounds to me this new radar would just be more current and more accurate.

More data to ADS-B would also slow it down...I'd prefer simple-but-current over detailed-but-delayed.

We should be able to get this. ADSB FIS B is just the summary information compiled by the "weather people/weather reporting machinery", using whatever sources available. ADSB FIS B would use the same bandwidth transmitting this more accurate summary.

The one thing they could do would be to increase the "weather summary" refresh frequency, shorten the delay between obtaining the data and sending out the ADSB FIS B summary. Make it just bit closer to real time.

BTW - nice article, didn't know this was in the works. Thanks for posting.

Very interesting article.

Part of the ADSB delay is waiting for the full scan volume to complete which takes time. Having phased arrays would dramatically improve the scan volume time.

The weather service is only just finishing the weather radar update to include dual polarization and other updates. I wonder how long it will be before we can add the phased array capabilities?

Reactions: WDD
FIS-B and SiriusXM are both highly bandwidth challenged so everything must be scheduled. Right now FIS-B generates a new image every two minutes and SXM every 2.5 minutes using the most recent elevation scans of the radars.
There's a 6.4 million dollar grant by NOAA described here...

https://journals.shareok.org/soonermagazine/article/download/12449/12448

There is also more at...

https://www.ou.edu/research-norman/...ploys-the-world-s-most-advanced-weather-radar

It seems like faster would be better. Something they didn't mention is that the WSR-88D still has the SAILS cuts with the current radars which has improved the speed at which they can see the lower elevation angles more frequently.

Last edited:
Back