Fast Luxury Sedan - $10k

Decided on a 98-03 XJR. Now have to find one I like...

I've had a couple of XJRs. Amazing cars. I like the X308 the most, the W5A580 gearbox should be bulletproof as long as you don't listen to MB for the oil change intervals(although the later with the ZF6HP26 should be even stronger).

And you only need one pulley :)

I've had a couple of XJRs. Amazing cars. I like the X308 the most, the W5A580 gearbox should be bulletproof as long as you don't listen to MB for the oil change intervals(although the later with the ZF6HP26 should be even stronger).

And you only need one pulley :)

The tranny fluid change interval is the key. If you listen to the MB recommendation (never) they tend to go out around 100k or so. At least that's what we found at the shop.

Number of pulleys changed depends on desired outcome. ;)

I'd probably start with the upper pulley.

If you listen to the MB recommendation (never) they tend to go out around 100k or so. At least that's what we found at the shop.

MB had a while ago changed their stance on the "sealed for life" tranny. They now spec a single service at 39k to change the fluid/filter.

Our 722.6 had that service at 39k and now at 165k is solid as a rock.

The tranny fluid change interval is the key. If you listen to the MB recommendation (never) they tend to go out around 100k or so. At least that's what we found at the shop.

Number of pulleys changed depends on desired outcome. ;)

I'd probably start with the upper pulley.

Just be careful with it, too small pulley = belt slip.

MB had a while ago changed their stance on the "sealed for life" tranny. They now spec a single service at 39k to change the fluid/filter.

Our 722.6 had that service at 39k and now at 165k is solid as a rock.

It's funny how that goes. A friend of mine had an older Durango that he never changed the fluid on, literally. Original fluid and the tranny lasted over 200k.

I'm looking at a few XJRs, all under 100k on the clock. I'm debating how far under 100k I care about. There is a price premium. My main concern is the trans.

It's funny how that goes. A friend of mine had an older Durango that he never changed the fluid on, literally. Original fluid and the tranny lasted over 200k.

I'm looking at a few XJRs, all under 100k on the clock. I'm debating how far under 100k I care about. There is a price premium. My main concern is the trans.

Has there ever been a downside to draining Transmission fluid? Power-flush :no: or at best, maybe :dunno:. I'll never power-flush another high-mileage transmission again. Last time I did, the thing failed soon thereafter whereas it was problem-free before.

Has there ever been a downside to draining Transmission fluid? Power-flush :no: or at best, maybe :dunno:. I'll never power-flush another high-mileage transmission again. Last time I did, the thing failed soon thereafter whereas it was problem-free before.

If you wait too long, it seems you're best off just running it until it dies. However "too long" varies. Generally I try to change transmission fluid ahead of schedule. My wife's BMW is the exception as when the transmission blows up we're putting in a 6-speed.

Usually when that happens it's because the transmission was re-filled with the wrong fluid.

If you wait too long, it seems you're best off just running it until it dies. However "too long" varies. Generally I try to change transmission fluid ahead of schedule. My wife's BMW is the exception as when the transmission blows up we're putting in a 6-speed.
My previous Corolla hit 240k and I started hearing a grinding noise from the transmission (manual). As far as I know the transmission oil was never changed. I sold it for cheap to a friend, and I think it's still running.

I've got a 2010 Corolla now that I drive the wheels off of. I think they consider the gear oil in this gen Corolla to be a lifetime deal, but I've been wondering whether I should change it anyway (by a few drain/replace or by a powerflush). It's at 100k miles already.

My previous Corolla hit 240k and I started hearing a grinding noise from the transmission (manual). As far as I know the transmission oil was never changed. I sold it for cheap to a friend, and I think it's still running.

I've got a 2010 Corolla now that I drive the wheels off of. I think they consider the gear oil in this gen Corolla to be a lifetime deal, but I've been wondering whether I should change it anyway (by a few drain/replace or by a powerflush). It's at 100k miles already.

The reference was to automatics. With manuals, they basically just keep going other than synchro wear or potentially a bearing going out, but bearings going out are rare.

The reference was to automatics. With manuals, they basically just keep going other than synchro wear or potentially a bearing going out, but bearings going out are rare.

Yet another reason MT is better :)

Yet another reason MT is better :)

Many, many reasons that's true. Unfortunately, the people who buy new cars mostly want automatics, which drives what's available to those of us who buy used.

Many, many reasons that's true. Unfortunately, the people who buy new cars mostly want automatics, which drives what's available to those of us who buy used.

We just bought a new automatic car, as her old car needed $3k in repairs and was only worth $4k. I tried to get her to buy in to a stick shift, she knows how, and her commute is now only 4 miles. No sale. :(

Guess that means I have to keep the 5.0 Coyote Mustang GT. :yesnod:

I've considered a Mustang, but they just don't appeal to me as much anymore as they did 5-10 years ago.

I had a Subaru that when I got it, the manual transmission didn't have any oil in it. I didn't notice for a few thousand. I added some and it drove so much smoother.:goofy:

I researched buying an Acura and found an interesting method for home changing of automatic transmission fluids. Seems worth sharing, though I don't know about automatics or Acuras.

Three by three! Drain and replace three quarts of tranny fluid. Drive it a little while. Do it again. Drive it a while. Do it again. So, now you've changed three quarts three times, which is apparently 'close enough' to changing it all. There were specifics on how much is 'drive it a while,' so research this before you do this on your own car.

When I buy manual transmission cars, strongly my preference, part of the initial 'spa day' is changing the tranny fluid. I replace it with a synthetic from Redline or Amsoil. Sure makes me feel better!

I researched buying an Acura and found an interesting method for home changing of automatic transmission fluids. Seems worth sharing, though I don't know about automatics or Acuras.

Three by three! Drain and replace three quarts of tranny fluid. Drive it a little while. Do it again. Drive it a while. Do it again. So, now you've changed three quarts three times, which is apparently 'close enough' to changing it all. There were specifics on how much is 'drive it a while,' so research this before you do this on your own car.

When I buy manual transmission cars, strongly my preference, part of the initial 'spa day' is changing the tranny fluid. I replace it with a synthetic from Redline or Amsoil. Sure makes me feel better!

It's also called a "slow flush". Changes the fluid without the chance of some crud breaking loose and causing havoc. Good idea for high mileage trans with a spotty history of filter changes.

I sorta figured, based upon your year-model and market-segment description, that 100k+ miles was a given.

I mean, I know everyone likes to make fun of Jaguar reliability, but after 15 years, how many are going to be under 100k miles?

Ted thinks a lot like me.

But as for the above, my 1992 XJS, bought with 52,000 miles in summer '96, just rolled over 100K on a car club trip in early December. It may be around 100,250 or so now. But it doesn't meet Ted's requirements on mileage, number of doors or hard top. But she's fun! :yes:

Ted thinks a lot like me.

But as for the above, my 1992 XJS, bought with 52,000 miles in summer '96, just rolled over 100K on a car club trip in early December. It may be around 100,250 or so now. But it doesn't meet Ted's requirements on mileage, number of doors or hard top. But she's fun! :yes:

I've owned more XJSs than I can count on one hand, including a '92 V12 (red) converted with a 5-speed. Great cars, all of them, but I want to buy something else.

Got a couple of XJRs I'm interested in. The best one is in Canada, and importing it sounds like it would be a bear, even though it's a beautiful example. Right now I'm heavily leaning towards buying an XJ8 and lumping it with a 400+ HP 383 and a 5-speed, or maybe something even bigger. Then I'll have the car I really want.

V-12 is the way to go. Sssmmmmmmmmoooooooooooottttthhhhhhh!!

Good luck with your search. I'd lean towards Infiniti or BMW, both are great cars.

V-12 is the way to go. Sssmmmmmmmmoooooooooooottttthhhhhhh!!

I've owned many V12s, I know. :)

Still on the bucket list is to do the DOHC 48-valve Jag V12 using AJ6 heads. Then throw on some boost for extra insanity. :goofy:

Thinking about this more, as what I want doesn't exist.

I'm thinking of buying an XJ8 and putting a small block Chevy with a T56 in. Kits are available to do this.

If I did, my thought would be a 421 cube small block, redline of 4500-5000 with the T56 for massive torque. With a 3.08 differential, it'll run about 1200 RPM @ 70 MPH. My kind of car.

LS block or old school Chevy? The parts are more expensive for an LS, but it's pretty easy to get an LS1/T56 with computer and wiring harness.

I'd have to vote LS-series myself. I like old school power, but it's hard to give up the smith starting/idling modern engine for the 60's tech ground-pounder. The LS parts and tech has just about as much out there as the SBC does, and it's lighter to boot. I would actually look for an LS2, personally, it was put in damn near everything performance oriented from 2005+. Besides, is just cool to throw some 6.0L badges on it.

There were more LS1s made, but the cost for parts seems to be about the same in the end.

The LS2 has my attention, especially for the performance specs before doing anything to it. Plus fuel injection and distributorless ignition to start. Nice to not be going backwards in technology that way. An LS2 to 421 cubes would be a nice powerplant...

As long as you stay away from the LS3 and the cylinder deactivation crap, you're golden. That being said, you can almost pick up '05-'06 Pontiac GTO's for $10K. It's no sedan, but a solid car with an LS2 and great seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to own a car with a V12 :D Perfectly smooth and the sound... Just magic. What do you think about the Mercedes V12s?

As long as you stay away from the LS3 and the cylinder deactivation crap, you're golden. That being said, you can almost pick up '05-'06 Pontiac GTO's for $10K. It's no sedan, but a solid car with an LS2 and great seats.

Those Pontiac GTO's were pretty decent cars if you ignored the fact that they looked like bloated cavaliers.

Yeah, they didn't do much with the Holden Monero body lines when they slapped the GTO badges on it. The rear was decent, the profile was okay, but the front was just too plain. The G8 improved a lot of that, though.

The GTO had crossed my mind, although I'm not a fan of GM interiors in general. I think at that point I'd be getting the drivetrain I want in not the car I want.

Ended up changing things up a bit.

I had a red, low mile, 2000 XJR I was going to buy. But the owner really didn't want to sell it and was being a pain,so I went back on eBay.

It wasn't on the list due to high resale values, but another car I liked and wanted was the 03+ E55 AMG Kompressor. I like that body style's interior and the 470 HP. So I compromised and found a very attractive, but high mile, example. Serious seller, $10k shipped to my door. I'll post pics when it gets here.

Can't wait! :D

w210 E55 (the 2000'ish one) I might trust for $10k. Pretty hard to find low mileage examples now, and none of those would be 10k or below, but it is a pretty solid car anyway, and I wouldn't worry too much over an 80-100k mile example.

w211 E55 (the mid 2000'ish one)…….you do not want one that is selling for $10k. Yeah, they have depreciated significantly, and yeah, you can probably find a few for that price, but it would either be 150k+ miles, or with something seriously wrong in its history, or both. They also weren't as bulletproof in a lot of ways, and a supercharged V8 @ that mileage is not a project I would want to take upon myself.

I'd say you can get the kind of car you want for your stated budget, but you might want to look at other options……i.e. one that $10k will buy you a better example of, and maybe one that won't be so expensive to maintain.

w210 E55 (the 2000'ish one) I might trust for $10k. Pretty hard to find low mileage examples now, and none of those would be 10k or below, but it is a pretty solid car anyway, and I wouldn't worry too much over an 80-100k mile example.

I found several for under $10k with <75k miles.

w211 E55 (the mid 2000'ish one)…….you do not want one that is selling for $10k. Yeah, they have depreciated significantly, and yeah, you can probably find a few for that price, but it would either be 150k+ miles, or with something seriously wrong in its history, or both. They also weren't as bulletproof in a lot of ways, and a supercharged V8 @ that mileage is not a project I would want to take upon myself.

I'd say you can get the kind of car you want for your stated budget, but you might want to look at other options……i.e. one that $10k will buy you a better example of, and maybe one that won't be so expensive to maintain.

The one I bought has 191k on it, so very high miles. The way I go through cars (usually only last a couple of years), I figure I'll treat it as more or less disposable. Either something big will explode and I'll part out the car, or after a year or two I'll sell it. I'm not going to put a ton of work into the thing, so if it's too much of a pain I'll sell it and get something else. The rims, transmission, and supercharger by themselves would get me pretty close to my purchase price back out if I sold them individually. It's a bone stock car, unlike most of the cheaper ones which have been hot rodded out and would be things I'd run, not walk, away from.

We'll see how I like it.

Congrats on the new car! They are certainly beasts, no question about that.

Congrats on the decision. It's always a great thing to be done with and pull the trigger; satisfying.

My wife wants an S-Klasse. I am a BMW man myself and when I part with my 12-yo e60, I will definitely look into her S. She is on her 3rd car during our marriage and I still have the same e60 I came into the relationship with. I have no idea what I want next for me.

My dad had a really sweet S63 that he sold about a year ago. I can't say I know much about the car of your choice but I will look into learning about them.

I've gotten to where I hate shopping for cars (I used to love it). Nobody really makes what I want, and I don't like to spend a lot of money. The one real shift is that I used to make projects out of everything. Now I've realized I don't keep cars long anyway, so I'll do a few things as necessary but then sell. My wife's E38 I basically rebuilt, but she likes it a lot so I foresee keeping that a long time. I know a 191k E55 is not going to live much longer before it loses its economic viability. As 35 AoA correctly pointed out, there are reasons this one is this cheap. :)

I've never owned a Benz, but have always wanted to. We looked at a 2000 S430 when we bought the E38 two years ago. The interior was much blander, which was a negative to my wife.

The LS3 doesn't have cylinder deactivation. My DD has one in it...

Back