Fast Eddie & Kool Karen's (excellent?) Pole Barn Adventure

I’ll check that out, but pretty much going with what our contractor recommends.

This may give a better perspective on the height of the back wall (Karen is 5’ 5”)

25117333987_954fb161e5_c.jpg

Looks impressive, but how is Karen going to dust those sills?

A pole!

40598971701_d81a3080d1_c.jpg

The contractor said solid wood beams - as long as 20' - would be likely to warp and/or split and building them up would be better.

Walls are going up:

26724211888_0ca056055e_z.jpg

Trusses got delivered earlier this week:

39630414295_486124b28b_z.jpg

Believe it or not, today was the first time I've actually used the slab that I got so much help on here:

38789079430_73b9714389_z.jpg

Gorgeous flight up and back. Airmet for moderate turbulence, but other than a little bumpiness down low, as smooth as could be up to 8,500'. But the headwinds on the way up dropped my groundspeed to 50 kts or so. But those same winds made for some pretty good groundspeeds, here descending into Copperhill.

40598964201_6eb7b688dd_c.jpg

Weather permitting, trusses go up next week.

To be continued...

Eddie, just noticed your voltmeter. Is your system overcharging, or is that correct for whatever battery you have?

Eddie, just noticed your voltmeter. Is your system overcharging, or is that correct for whatever battery you have?

It's always read almost exactly one volt high. Plus there's some parallax in the photo. I have a screen on my Garmin that shows bus voltage and its typically 13.7v to 14.0v in flight.

I actually bought a digital voltmeter to go in that slot, but have not gotten around to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZ2ZXKM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posting panel pics always opens you up for scrutiny. Next time make it blurry!

Property looks great!

I hadn't checked this thread since December. I'm surprised to see the amount of progress that's been made!

Last edited:
Lots of progress! Things are coming along nicely, Eddie!

Flew Karen up today to spend a couple days with the kids and grandkids.

With decent weather, the progress has been impressive:

38906114320_3bd5e70204_z.jpg

Metal siding about to be ordered, going with red sides and a gray roof. Bifold door set to be delivered Tuesday.

A little video of the view from overhead, a landing and a takeoff (1:35 total):

As an aside, 4 lots still for sale. I have no financial interest - just want good neighbors!

Sky Arrow seems just a bit redundant. What other kind of arrow is there? Water arrow? Dirt arrow?

Sky Arrow seems just a bit redundant. What other kind of arrow is there? Water arrow? Dirt arrow?
There's follow the arrow, broken arrow, flaming arrow, broad arrow, red arrows, arrow head, arrow gumbo, fried arrow, arrow stew, grilled arrow, baked arrow, arrowsmith,...

I don't get this whole "pole barn" terminology. It must be an east of the Rockies kind of thing. What makes a pole barn any different from any other commercial/industrial/barn/garage/storage building? From the construction I have seen so far in these pictures, it looks like pretty standard garage/hangar construction. What am I missing?

The work looks great by the way! I'm sure you'll love it. Do you think there will be any drainage problems with it built into the hillside like that? I would hate to spend what you are spending on the hangar of your dreams and have puddles all over the floor in the rainy season. I'm sure you have this covered.

Back