Fascinating analysis of a Titan T-51 Crash

Rokke214

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rokke214
Just watched this video in the course of researching aircraft build options. I thought it was a fascinating look at some of the complexities involved in the care and feeding of an experimental aircraft. It’s almost an hour long, but I think it is time well spent for a variety of reasons, to include learning about basic airmanship.

...I think it is time well spent for a variety of reasons, to include learning about basic airmanship.
I watched it all. Basic airmanship would be to maneuver into the key position at normal pattern altitude for a touchdown 1/3 the way down the runway. Then you wouldn't wind up like he did—almost not making it back to the airport. Btw, didn't he say he "feathered the prop"? That prop's not feathered. Thanks for posting. Titan Aircraft is not far from my house and I've flown once with John Williams in a Tornado, so I was interested in this.

I thought that too with the prop. Just as a guess, I wonder if the blades aren’t geared in such a way that when the first blade dug into the runway it “unfeathered” and forced the other three blades to rotate to match.
With regard to the key position, I’ll give him a pass there. In a previous life I flew a single engine aircraft we’d take to a high key position before we started trouble shooting a problem. That would give us 360 degrees of turn during the descent in the event we lost our engine. That gives you a little more wiggle room to work a problem and not have to focus on maintaining the perfect position for an engine out approach. I think in this case he didn’t necessarily trust his engine, but it was still given him power and so his first priority was working the gear problem. Climb up high over the runway and try to fix the gear. If the engine quits, higher is better. He bled off the extra energy with some S turns, but as often happens, that last effort to sweeten your position can turn it sour if you’re a little too aggressive. I used to tell my students I’d rather slide off the far end of the runway at 15 knots than land short at 140 knots (it was a really fast single engine airplane).
My current single engine airplane has a parachute, and I notice people who fly them get very lazy about practicing losing an engine in the traffic pattern. “I’ll just pull the chute” is a bad option if downwind and base is over Compton CA.

I watched it all. Basic airmanship would be to maneuver into the key position at normal pattern altitude for a touchdown 1/3 the way down the runway. Then you wouldn't wind up like he did—almost not making it back to the airport. Btw, didn't he say he "feathered the prop"? That prop's not feathered. Thanks for posting. Titan Aircraft is not far from my house and I've flown once with John Williams in a Tornado, so I was interested in this.

An excellent video, and the guy's pretty honest about his mistakes.

Even so, there's LOTS of engineering and "customer service" going on while airborne - which are huge distractions. With all that in-cockpit engineering, looks like he never cycled the master or checked if that breaker had thrown. (maybe I misunderstood that).

Yeah I watched a few weeks ago. Great analysis on what went wrong. Pretty good ADM on his part. He’s pretty familiar with forced landings though. If you’ve watched his little modified jet Quickie vid at Mojave, you’d see the guy’s lucky to be alive.

Even so, there's LOTS of engineering and "customer service" going on while airborne - which are huge distractions.
I thought that too. The airplane owner didn’t even stick around the airport to watch the test flights. Yeah. I get it was his airplane, but if it’s my butt strapped in it, I’m the boss until I’m on the ground and hand him the keys. And I think the plan was for the owner to learn how to fly in that T-51. That seems like a bad idea no matter how you look at it. I didn’t teach my kids how to drive in an Indy car.
Having said that…the pilot has been around the block a few times for sure. And like you said, he owns his errors. To include agreeing to do test flights in a historically unreliable airplane at an airport that offered no room for error. I don’t like flying in LA airspace on a great day in a perfect airplane. There’s a reason why Edwards is on a dry lake bed.

There's a lot of good information is the guy's videos. I just can't watch when he's at his desk waving his hands around in front of the camera.

Why would they wire the same fuse from the electric hydraulic pump that works the gear, and the engine management system. The pump failed and engine died is that something Titan designed seem like a really dumb idea.

Just watched this video in the course of researching aircraft build options. I thought it was a fascinating look at some of the complexities involved in the care and feeding of an experimental aircraft.

Lesson learned is more that decisions you make in your build can have unintended consequences.

Back