Farding while driving is bad news!

Never farded, but I will confess to have been eating a whopper with cheese while driving a stick shift convertible through heavy traffic and then trying to answer my cell phone when it rang.

Ken Ibold said:
Never farded, but I will confess to have been eating a whopper with cheese while driving a stick shift convertible through heavy traffic and then trying to answer my cell phone when it rang.

Nothing that good cockpit managment can't help you cope with :D

I already have makeup on when I leave the house!

However I do know what it is like to answer the phone while driving a stick. never food though - no food or drink allowed in my car! (that's how it stays so nice and clean...)

Ken Ibold said:

now, I am hungry. where's lunch??

Yes, but have you answered your cell phone on short final at night?

I have.

Oh, and about a quarter of my meals are eaten in my truck. The hard part is doing all that on my motorcycle.

N2212R said:
Oh, and about a quarter of my meals are eaten in my truck. The hard part is doing all that on my motorcycle.
When I lived in Florida it was a 25 mile motorcycle ride from my work at Kennedy Space Center to home. Once I left KSC there was a nice place to buy a cold one, drive thru, and drink it on the way home. Drinking and driving were not illegal, only being drunk and driving, one 12oz was ok. So with a full face helmet on, riding my bike I would have a beer while commuting. Ahh!! :yes::cheers:

N2212R said:

I have.

I've only been on short final once on a motorcycle, and I have the plates and screws in my radius to prove it.

N2212R said:

I categorically deny that I've been in that category.

An exotic term for a stupid trick. Having commuted in and around the Beltway (DC that is) for the better part of 6 years (back when I got paid for working), I can tell you that the law is needed in a big way. It's not just the makeup going on at stoplights. It's the makeup being applied while cruising on the highway, or the reading of newspapers, or watching tv --- I've seen them all, many times. What kind of jackass thinks it's ok to read the paper while driving????? I don't know if that kind of stupidity is prevalent elsewhere (I suspect it is), but I know for sure that it is a problem around the District.

flyersfan31 said:
It's the makeup being applied while cruising on the highway, or the reading of newspapers, or watching tv --- I've seen them all, many times. What kind of jackass thinks it's ok to read the paper while driving?????
I recall seeing a driver in Atlanta going 80 mph about five inches from the bumper of the car in front of him (also doing 80 mph), which is unremarkable except the tailgater was eating a bowl of cereal! Both hands were involved in holding the bowl and spoon, so I guess he was knee-steering.

Wiiiiiiide berth!!

flyersfan31 said:
I've seen them all, many times.

Someone playing a recorder with the sheet music laid out over the steering wheel? That is the most bizarre thing I've seen out on the roads.

Bill Jennings said:
Someone playing a recorder with the sheet music laid out over the steering wheel? That is the most bizarre thing I've seen out on the roads.

According to my wife, I drive better when I'm playing a recorder, reading from sheet music.

While commuting the SoCal freeways in the 70's and 80's (pre-cell phone boom), I observed, more than once, drivers participating in everything but driving, such as:
- a trumpet player (no sheet music that I could see and really only needed one hand)
- a drummer (drumstick in each hand, playing the wheel, the dash, the side window and windshield)
- newspaper readers
- book readers
- way too many women sitting in the center of the vehicle, face up to the rear view mirror, applying make up. Too many of these were observed in my own rear view mirror, while said driver maintained about 24" of clearance off my rear bumper...

My favorite double-take was watching the guy in the car next to me using his electric razor, shaving his head. Oh, yeah, he also had his newspaper across the steering wheel.

Of course I've also been guilty of driving a stick with a drink in one hand and a hamburger in the other.

N2212R said:

I have.

Were you the PIC, or the passenger?

N2212R said:

That's funny... never seen somebody eating a big mac and drinking a coke on a motorcycle. Never seen a motorcycle with a drink holder, either, but I'm sure some of the touring bikes must have them for the long hauls.

My best skill: Cigarette in one hand, soda in the other, and the stick shift being used, while the cell phone is pressed to my ear. Sometime I surprise myself.

Drive with the knees, alternate hands with cigarette to shift.

Troy Whistman said:
Were you the PIC, or the passenger?
PIC BABY! After referencing my logbook, it was also my first night solo ever. No, I didn't put "answered phone" in the remarks. I just remember that flight, and saying "Hey, can you hold on a second, I have to land the plane."

Troy Whistman said:
That's funny... never seen somebody eating a big mac and drinking a coke on a motorcycle. Never seen a motorcycle with a drink holder, either, but I'm sure some of the touring bikes must have them for the long hauls.

Never actually tried eating on the cycle. Just carrying a 2liter between my legs was interesting in the corners. I did check my voice mail once when riding. I forget how I did that exactly with the full faced helmet and all.

Re: Farding while driving is intentional attempted murder!

"You can talk on your cell phone and drive and not get in a crash."

I don't give a darn if one can drive and not get into a crash. I'm just sick of being run off the road by those same exact yutzes...especially when I'm on the motorcycle. They may not crash but they're actively trying to murder everyone else on the road. Sadly, since they don't die because they're too stupid to crash, they try to murder you again at the first chance they get. Quit talking on two cellphones, reading the newspaper, eating food, tying shoes and talking to someone in the trunk all at the same time. Don't want to drive, stay home or go tailgate a bridge piling at 80mph without airbags or seatbelts.

Sorry. Really rough driving day..again. Worst was the stupid Latcher that damn near killed me..twice...within 1/4 mile at 65mph...while I was driving the jeep that was 3 times his size - idget never saw me..at all.

Too many people can not manage multiple tasks at once. And some of those multiple tasks are just plain dangerous. Remember the rule.... Aviate, Navigate, and Communicate. That's prioritized not concurrent.
I've seen some extremely dumb things while driving but the makeup takes the cake. Drive 80 miles an hour, tilt the mirrow your way, and put a stick millimeters from your eye. If Darwin was working, these people would be blind!

woodstock said:
so clearly, the problem is only with "the other person" doing it. :D
That's what always gets me. I was just out in LA a couple of weeks ago and my friend was complaining left and right about all of these idiots talking on their cell phones while driving 80 MPH down the freeway. And he was right. The drivers out there are horrible. All of the sudden the person next to you will start drifting into your lane.

But...

It didn't stop him from texting on his blackberry about 2 minutes later while driving 80 down the freeway, and he was drifting just like they were.

Bruce says: <sigh>

I guess shaving one's head in the car is the thing to do --- I've seen that too!

I have a friend who doesn't read, or talk on the phone, or shave his head while driving. However, he INSISTS on making eye contact with you while he is talking. Even if you're in the backseat. I just stopped riding with him, my heart couldn't take it any more. I told him multiple times to keep his eyes on the road while driving, I wouldn't be offended. Nope.

woodstock said:
so clearly, the problem is only with "the other person" doing it. :D

I think the problem is similar to the one we have in aviation, motorcycles, boats and ___fill in the blank real world activities___. The ones that are doing the right thing, don't really need help and realize what's going on around them try to learn everything they can to be safe and better at what they're doing. The ones that are an active threat to themselves and everyone around them are the ones that do not attempt to change their ways and refuse to learn.

So yes, it is "the other person", the 'other person' being defined as the ones that simply do not care, don't think anything can possibly happen to them, uneducated about what they're doing to the point they don't know they're dangerous and don't fully understand the environment they're operating in. I mean seriously, these people simply do not have the primal survival instincts, much less education, that would give any feedback to their brain that 12" separation at 80mph with a vehicle larger than them could possibly endanger them or anyone else because that situation is 100% perfectly totally safe in their mind.

I'll take a poorly maintained helicopter in MVFR over a car in ideal conditions anyday...for safety reasons.

Some can't manage one thing at once. My 60 day driver 16 year old just rear ended somebody.....sigh.

new drivers ... its not "if", it's "when" ... is my experience with 2 out of 3 kids in my family. The third can't drive yet, but I'll bet he'll make it 3 for 3 ... The first car needs to be a tank or throwaway (or both)

gkainz said:
new drivers ... its not "if", it's "when" ... is my experience

Greg, that's your experience and the insurance company's, and the reason for their insurance rates!

Yep, and my oldest daughter got her driver's license yesterday.

Her driver's ed instructor, a retired state trooper, kept talking about WHEN that accident occurs, he never said IF...

bbchien said:
Some can't manage one thing at once. My 60 day driver 16 year old just rear ended somebody.....sigh.

Geeze. Not again, Bruce. :( You need cars made of rubber....

Driving home a while back I think the driver had at least one hand on the steering wheel, but the gal in the passenger seat was doing things to him that I would consider, um, distracting! :) This was rush hour(s) in Chicago.

gprellwitz said:
Driving home a while back I think the driver had at least one hand on the steering wheel, but the gal in the passenger seat was doing things to him that I would consider, um, distracting! :) This was rush hour(s) in Chicago.

Nagging is very distracting. :yes:

I find it difficult to drive while shooting an assult rifle. You either have to drive, or shoot. Throw in the added difficulty of trying to hit a target that is running, zig zagging, and diving and you have a receipy for distraction.

Ken Ibold said:

Yeah but your also the guy that flew a Pitts from Jacksonville to Gastons and back all within less than 24 hrs and that says a bit more about your sanity than eating a whopper in traffic.

bobloblaw310 said:
I find it difficult to drive while shooting an assult rifle. You either have to drive, or shoot. Throw in the added difficulty of trying to hit a target that is running, zig zagging, and diving and you have a receipy for distraction.
Need a RPG. Seen Ronan lately? One to drive and one to shoot through the sunroof.

gkainz said:
new drivers ... its not "if", it's "when" ... is my experience with 2 out of 3 kids in my family. The third can't drive yet, but I'll bet he'll make it 3 for 3 ... The first car needs to be a tank or throwaway (or both)
Hint - 1983 Mercedes 240D. Falls into both catagories...

bobloblaw310 said:

All good points. You just have to learn how to rest it on the door with the window open. Get one of the "shorty" M-4 carbines, as they are easier to handle with one hand. Just spray and pray, nor real need to aim well. :D

Oh yeah, be sure to wear ear and ey protection. Its loud and those darn shell casings fly all over the place. Always think "safety" while doing drive bys.

Anthony said:
All good points. You just have to learn how to rest it on the door with the window open. Get one of the "shorty" M-4 carbines, as they are easier to handle with one hand. Just spray and pray, nor real need to aim well. :D

Also don't forget to lead'em some.

Anthony said:
Oh yeah, be sure to wear ear and ey protection. Its loud and those darn shell casings fly all over the place. Always think "safety" while doing drive bys.

LOL!

Back