FAQ's for ferry pilots

BenZwebner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben Zwebner
Hi,

I am building a new website for my aircraft ferry business. Included in the new site will be a "Frequently Asked Questions" page.

The problem is that I cant really think of the all of the questions that owners may have so I am turning to the airplane owners on this board for your help.

If you were looking to hire a ferry pilot for your plane, for a domestic or international ferry, what would be the kind of questions you would like answered on a FAQ page?

Thank you!

Do you have airline non-rev priviledges so I don't have to pay full fare for your positioning flights?

Kind of sad, but that it a common question since so many ferry guys are airline employees that can get around the country cheap and easily.

I'll have to think about the questions the different owners I've ferried for have had.

Couple things I would expect from a ferry pilot is his mechanical abilities/knowledge to cope with unexpected mechanical problems. Such as troubleshooting skills, replacing tires, magnetos etc. Also familiarity with the route and destination country customs. Ferrying overseas is a different game than ferrying within the USA. I always carry a tool box with spare parts that I can replace. You do not want to be stuck for days waiting for an inner tube or a spark plug at LPAZ. I met a guy at LPAZ waiting for a cylinder for a week for the Navajo he was ferrying. Luckily he was also an A/P.

José

Do you have life insurance ?

Do you have airline non-rev priviledges so I don't have to pay full fare for your positioning flights?

Kind of sad, but that it a common question since so many ferry guys are airline employees that can get around the country cheap and easily.

Using jumpseat privileges for compensation violates jumpseat policy. If caught, these folks can be banned.

I won't say it doesn't happen, nor will I say that folks never get caught.

My inquiries would be basic, but pointed.
1) Please give me the process for pick-up, transportation and delivery of my aircraft.
2) What are your fallback protocols with regard to unexpected situations/problems?

have you ever bent an aircraft?
do you have insurance?
references?
bonded?

Using jumpseat privileges for compensation violates jumpseat policy. If caught, these folks can be banned.

The " jump seat" has nothing to do with it. The airline pilot sits with the other passengers, he just doesn't pay.

Hours in various types would be useful information for the open pilot clause of some insurance policies.

The " jump seat" has nothing to do with it. The airline pilot sits with the other passengers, he just doesn't pay.

Jumpseating is general term for a non-revenue airline pilot who flies on an air carrier as a unticketed passenger. It doesn't necessarily mean they will fly in the jumpseat, but may if the flight is booked up. This is the means by which pilots commute to their pilot base from their homes, which may be almost anywhere.

Jumpseating is general term for a non-revenue airline pilot who flies on an air carrier as a unticketed passenger. It doesn't necessarily mean they will fly in the jumpseat, but may if the flight is booked up. This is the means by which pilots commute to their pilot base from their homes, which may be almost anywhere.
AFaIK my Delta pilot neighbor can book reserved seats at a considerably reduced fare and unreserved (empty) seats for almost nothing and there are no restrictions for such use other than frequency. They even have a "buddy pass" option if he wants to bring along a non-employee. If non-revenue or reduced fare seats were solely for deadheading pilots, no pilot based where they live would every get to use them.

Who pays for weather/mechanical delays, for meals/hotels, etc?

Can I (the customer) ride with you?

If non-revenue or reduced fare seats were solely for deadheading pilots, no pilot based where they live would every get to use them.

They are certainly not restricted dead-heading, but that doesn't mean you can use them for a commercial venture.

Amazingly there are severall ferry companies that advertise their pilots can provide such benefits.

Amazingly there are severall ferry companies that advertise their pilots can provide such benefits.
Yes, and make it as if anyone that doesn't provide that / isn't an airline pilot is an inferior pilot as well.

I think this is more/less covered but aside from expected cost for the flight, my main concern would be who is responsible for what if things go wrong.

OK, I have a job for a ferry pilot. How does one get in touch with these people ?

I think this is more/less covered but aside from expected cost for the flight, my main concern would be who is responsible for what if things go wrong.
A lot of that depends on what went wrong and why...

Back