Family of four- upgrade from C182?

The A36 is a perfectly good choice, too. But the transition is more involved and the insurance and maintenance costs are higher.

10hrs with an instructor who has enough time in type to make the insurance happy. There is going to be a higher hull premium until he hits 100-150hrs in make&model, but after that I doubt there is going to be a big delta compared with the 206. Maintenance may be a bit more involved, but he 'saves' that on fuel ;-)

When I bought my A36, the only time I had in one was the test flight. I did have about 50 hours of retract time, 475 total hours and an IFR rating. Insurance required an instructor sign off - no specific requirement for number of hours with the instructor. Hull value is what seems to really drive my insurance cost more than anything else. Now that I have over 100 hours in type, I'm guessing that my insurance cost isn't too much higher than it would be for a 182 with the same hull value.

@cruiserandmax are you willing to share what you do for a living?

im curious as to what folks do who own and use airplanes.

Sounds like things are going well. Enjoy the family and Skylane and future bonanza!

That's a little like the Ford/Chevy argument. The both do a good job of most of the demands. I like the cargo doors in the C206. And if the C182 works well, why go to a substantially different model?

The A36 is a perfectly good choice, too. But the transition is more involved and the insurance and maintenance costs are higher.
True, but something like a Saratoga or Lance ultimately is bigger inside.. although if you're used to a high wing and a 182 then you are right, far less of a transition

Never understood the A36/Bo/Debonair thing... Aesthetically they look nice, but the giant yoke bar in the middle blocking most of the switches and the quickly and narrowing fuselage towards the back (which, for how visually hefty the plane looks, it's relatively narrow inside), plus a limited CG envelope, 500 hr wing spar inspections.. I just don't really understand the obsession with them..

True, but something like a Saratoga or Lance ultimately is bigger inside.. although if you're used to a high wing and a 182 then you are right, far less of a transition

Never understood the A36/Bo/Debonair thing... Aesthetically they look nice, but the giant yoke bar in the middle blocking most of the switches and the quickly and narrowing fuselage towards the back (which, for how visually hefty the plane looks, it's relatively narrow inside), plus a limited CG envelope, 500 hr wing spar inspections.. I just don't really understand the obsession with them..
I've owned both....Beech is a "little" nicer, finish is a little nicer, and handles nicer....but the PA-32 is more capable with payload.

More like the difference between an Olds and a BMW.

10hrs with an instructor who has enough time in type to make the insurance happy. There is going to be a higher hull premium until he hits 100-150hrs in make&model, but after that I doubt there is going to be a big delta compared with the 206. Maintenance may be a bit more involved, but he 'saves' that on fuel ;-)

Many insurance companies do it even require dual, if you have enough retract time.

Come fly mine. You'll get it. They are exceptionally easy to fly and stable, and beautiful in turbulence (beyond the yawing effect in moderate crosswind induced wave). They are also quite fast for the fuel burn.

The center yoke thing is not nearly as annoying in today's era of glass either. Just reach down for the switches.

Many insurance companies do it even require dual, if you have enough retract time.

He has been flying a 182 for the past 15 years, I guess its possible that he also has lots of recent time in a retract, but that wasnt mentioned. Every one of the people who transitioned into the A36s I have been a partner in had to do some dual with an instructor. The time ranged between 10 and 15hrs (with the higher time when we had high insurance limits). But that depends on the insurance company. When I transitioned from one flavor of A36 to another, it counted as 'time in make and model' and I didn't need specific training. I just had one of my CFI partners check me out on the quirks of that particular airframe.

Back