Fall flying

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
I honestly believe fall flying is the best time of the year to go flying. I went today, with my dad, to 44N( sky acres) up here in the Northeast and honestly, it was spectacular. We got up early, took off into calm winds, clear sky, unlimited visibility and as we went further North, the ground turned from green, to a mix of green and reds, and then mostly orange and red because the trees down below had turned colors. It was simply awe inspiring.

Does anyone else love flying in the fall as much as I do? It really beats the heck out of Summer and Winter flying!

Yeah fall the best. Much cooler weather (esp here in the South) plus dryer and clearer skies for months of good flying weather. Spring nice too especially if you're in a Cub down low, the smells are wonderful of everything greening up. Of course there's that cattle odor too.....

Low, gray, and rainy. Flew out picking around low clouds to pick up an outboard and the fuel tank. Flew back at 500' under clouds in 5 mile vis and moderate rain. Fall flying sucks but winter flying is worse. I'm looking forward to spring.

Indeed.

I actually prefer flying with a 5k or so overcast layer.

Anything below triple digits temps is good flying for me. Our 4 season colors is brown, brown, brown and Brown. But I not freezing my arse off in the winter.

Love the fall flying ,since I take my bird south. Any season is fun flying ,that's why you have a plane,go where the weather is favorable, oh and be retired.

I like flying anytime, but I do enjoy the spring and fall the most because of the milder temperatures and folage colors. About 30 minutes north of home there are large peach orchards. In the spring it is a sea of pink and purple when the peach trees are blooming.

I'm looking forward to some fall flying, hopefully starting this weekend WHOOOP

Fall is a great time to be flying; (except for all of the balloons taking up the airspace that you're not supposed to shoot down, even tho' they make enticing targets :) )

The air is cool and crisp, the monsoon is over, the air is calm, the fires are usually over, so the visibility is near unlimited.

But, it only lasts until mid-November, when winter rushes in with a crush and those doing preflights look forward to frigid 100LL running down their arm during sumping :)

Spring is absolutely the worst time of year: March thru the end of June -- gale force winds almost non-stop. Gets real old real fast -- but is a good time to buff the sand blast scrapes from the plastic, especially when the grit gets under the canopy covers and provides abrasion from the wind whipped covers.

Summer is great as well, as long as all activity is completed before noon and the afternoon thermals and CB

(And like Arizona, we also have brown, brown, brown, and brown (with occasional maroon))

Back